how do i adjust my dish?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

godzooky

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Apr 14, 2004
after last night's t-storm, i have totally lost my signal. signal strength is 0 across the board. i tried resetting the receiver, but it didn't help. directv wants $70 to have someone come out and adjust my dish. is it possible to do it myself?? if so, how?

If you're getting 0 signal after a thunderstorm, that means that either the dish was moved by wind, or something got moved in front of it, like a tree. We had a thunderstorm to the south last night that blanked out the signal for a good 10 minutes, but came back as the storm moved to the east. You could almost track it with the signal meters.

The basic procedure is to loosen the bolts and move it around until you reacquire then tighten them up but I'm sure someone with more experience will point out something more useful. LNB didn't get hit by lightning or anything did it?

I doubt the storm moved your dish unless it was improperly installed. I would make sure your equipment (the dish) has a proper ground, if not you may have a nuked LNB.

Disconnect ALL YOUR RECEIVERS (including all the RG6 cables) and unplug their power for 5 minutes than try to bring them back up one at a time. If that does not work, your LNB is cooked, which will not happen with a proper ground.

You can move your dish by loosening the bolts but if you don't know what you're doing you may end up spending 70 bucks anyway, call a local installer.

If DirecTV didn't ground it when they installed it tell them that after last nights thunderstorm it doesn't work & I noticed there's no ground cable installed maybe they'll set-up & correct for free their installers mistake ?

Even if your disn is properly grounded a lightning strike can still fry your lnb.

Grounding isn't meant to protect the equiptment it is meant to protect you.

When an installer does not ground it is very rare that it was a mistake rather a calculated risk, they think customers are dumb and they will never know, that makes me very angry, I would contact the installation company and point out "the mistake" and tell him the thousands of members here are reading all about it, they will be right round to fix it!!!!!!

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)