How do I find out if I can receive signal for Dish 1000

solvenjio

Original poster
Apr 8, 2009
KS
Hi all,

I am about to sign lease for a new apartment that has north facing balcony. I want to find out if I can receive signal for Dish 1000 ( for international programming - south asian).

Zip code for the new apartment - 66209
City - Overland Park
State - KS.

I called up Dish network and they are asking me to schedule an appointment. However, I won't have access to the apartment till I sign the lease. I would like to know if I can receive dish at this place or not in order to make a decision on this place.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Try www.dishpointer.com. Input the address, place the point on the map where you intend to place the dish, select Multi-LNB Setups and find Dish 1000+. For a 1000+ installation, you need 129, 119, 118.7, and 110. International programming comes from 118.7, btw.

But it is likely you will be out of luck, as you need line-of-sight to the south.

Hi all,

I am about to sign lease for a new apartment that has north facing balcony. I want to find out if I can receive signal for Dish 1000 ( for international programming - south asian).

Zip code for the new apartment - 66209
City - Overland Park
State - KS.

I called up Dish network and they are asking me to schedule an appointment. However, I won't have access to the apartment till I sign the lease. I would like to know if I can receive dish at this place or not in order to make a decision on this place.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

If it is north facing, you are likely out of luck as the eastern arc is SE at 61.5, 72.7, and 77W and the western arc is SW at 110, 119, and 129W. You can go to Satellite Finder / Dish Pointing Calculator with Google Maps | DishPointer.com, enter your address, select Multi LNB Setups, and then select Dish 1000+ or whatever other dish antenna from the menu to get the pointing information.

Apartment is on the top floor (it is just 2 storey-building). However, they don't allow to put dish on the roof. It has to be in the balcony sitting on a tripod.

Use a tripod with a tall pole. You don't need to attach it to the roof. Just be able to shoot over it. Also, remember that the satellites are at an angle to the dish. So, the dish doesn't have to be over the roof line. It only has to see above it to a fairly high angle in the sky. (Imagine standing on the balcony with your back against the railing, facing the building, and looking up towards let's say the moon. Chances are, you don't need to be taller than the roof to see it.)

Plus, the law allows, I believe, a pole height up to 10 feet above the roof line. But, as I said above, it probably won't be necessary to go that high.

Depending on the how tall the roof extends, how far out the balcony extends and whether there is a roof over the balcony - you may be able to get signal. The signal comes in at approximately 40 degrees from the direction shown at dishpointer. You may be able to get signal. But if you have a roof over your patio and they want you to use a tripod, you are probably SOL.

I have a north facing apartment which my landlord was nice enough to let me have my dish mount on the side of the apartment building. I'm on the first floor so no running wires down the building. My dish is simply next to the air conditioners in a common space. She wouldn't let me have my post concreted though, bummer.

just an idea.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)