How do I find symbol rate?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

RLDSL

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Aug 27, 2004
How or where do I find the Synbol rate for a satallite. I'm trying to install a pansat 2500 and my south satellite IA-6 isn't on the list built in ( I found it with my analog c band reciever..Which I still don't know how to use yet either:) so I'm trying to program it in and looked on Lyngsat and the IA-6 site and no mention of a symbol rate.

What is this?????

Thanks---------Robert

Each channel or transponder has its own S/R, here is a live IA6 (T6) channel to use when pointing to this satellite......

12170 Freq.
V POL.
3003 S/R

Thanks, I *think* I'm getting the hang of this, besides, now that I know that t6 is IA6 it's built into the machine :) .
Where does somebody find a list of these satellite abreviations as they are in the recievers to avoid another mistake like this.

Thanks--------Robert

Usually sat abbreviations are pretty straight forward. The problem with Telstar satellites comes from the fact that Intelsat bought the Telstar satellites from the bankrupt Loral and thus had them renamed to Intelsat Americas.

RLDSL, the symbol rate is the first number showing up in the 6th column for each transponder. It can get confusing when you're looking at one transponder (1st column) that has multiple channels (rows in the 3rd column). But as long as you follow the transponders and not the individual channels, it is easier to find as being the first number in the 6th column. Also, the symbol rate is typically between 2000 and 30000. Other common numbers in there are the PIDs for each channel's audio and video, and usually those are in the range of 200 or less. Though sometimes they are around 4096 (which is 2^12, a nice number for digital devices to work with).

Hope all that hasn't confused you too much. :)

Another way to find SR (and all kinds of other info) is to buy a copy of Tele-Satellite magazine.
It will give you a registration code for a nice program called "World of Satellites". I find it much easier to lookup info than Lyngsat's web site.
See attached picture.

Attachments

• tele-sat.JPG
    tele-sat.JPG
    164.8 KB · Views: 222
I'll definitely get a sub to that magazine if only I knew where to sign up. I'll have to keep an eye out next time I'm in the grocery store or book store. I don't suppose they have ports of that program for MacOS X or Unix & its brethren... :confused: oh well, if not, I can prolly WINE it in Linux on one of my PCs. ;)

You can subscribe at the magazine's web site:
http://www.tele-satellite.com
One thing I dislike about the World of Satellites program is that it expires every 2-3 months (I am not sure about the time interval) so you have to "refresh" your activation code that can be obtained from the next issue of Tele-Satellite magazine. That's alright as long as you buy the magazine but I don't like the idea of having to keep buying the magazine to get the program going.
Having said all that I do like the program since it has all the utilities from dish pointing to satellite guide and you get that information updated regularly.
I don't think they have *nix or MacOS port unfortunately.

I've seen somebody (Sadoun?) selling individual copies of the magazine on eBay. Of the three Barnes & Nobles I frequent in the Denver area, only one carries it. Maybe you could call around to the bookseller chains in your area.

I've used the software occasionally, but the reason I buy the magazine is for the magazine. It's very Euro-centric, but its unique content can be fun to read.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts