How do i order Directv from canada

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Yes, it is indeed fraud because you agreed to use the service only at your address on file.

yeah sure. Tell that to all the people who move their receiver from their main house to a lake house/cabin etc

Adding a receiver to a friend's account would be fraud and I don't think you'll find too many folks on this board condoning it. It's illegal no matter what side of the border you're on.
that is an issue...that's account stacking and we do not condone that here. The OP would need his own subscription

Another analogy that makes no sense. Cheating on taxes means the government doesn't get the money due them.

Find me another "crime" where everyone wins and expain to me why it's a crime.

but berg, do you physically live at your US address? and i don't mean an occasional long weekend every few months either?

IMHO we're debating the "victimless crime" scenario here. Kind of a no harm, no foul deal. We can debate the moral issues all we want but it comes down to Canada has a law that says no D* in Canada. Using a US mailing address for the billing to get around the law is fraud and at least technically a crime. No amount of rationalization is going to change that. In the realm of fraud or crime this one is way down the scale, maybe even ridiculous but that's the way it is. I'd venture to guess D* does care and if they knew for sure a person was using a "mail drop" to circumvent the law they'd drop that person in a heartbeat. D* may or may not be working to get D* permitted in Canada but one way or the other they're not going to risk getting sideways with the Canadian government over a handfull of customers. Sure D* probably suspects this goes on but the test in court would be did they know it and was it their intent to ignore the law. At the same time the Canadian government has to wieght whether or not it's worth their time and effort to pursue D* and Canadians who are "breaking" the law. I'd imagine it's not, at least not yet until one of the Canadian satellite companies raises the issue long and loud enough.

I'll ask again.....if it's a Canadian law not to allow D* to market in Canada what is the purpose?

It's because Canada wishes its citizens to be restricted to its own programming and not that of foreign providers. The Canadian government does not want its citizens to be able to receive programming from companies outside its borders. Like it or not, that's the main reason why Canada has such laws.

It's because Canada wishes its citizens to be restricted to its own programming and not that of foreign providers. The Canadian government does not want its citizens to be able to receive programming from companies outside its borders. Like it or not, that's the main reason why Canada has such laws.

IT'S ILLEGAL! You can bend your words all you want, but its still ILLEGAL.

And, 99.9% of it has to do with copyright laws and royalty payments.

Just to make sure you understand IT'S ILLEGAL. Just call 1-800-Directv and ask them. Subscribe to Expressvu or read a freekin' book.

Last edited:
and i guess nobody downloads music, jay-walks, drives over the speed limit, etc.. cmon guys who really cares, Directv is getting their money, it isn't like it is being pirated, or he is account stacking.. nobody ever does anything 'gray area'?

IT'S ILLEGAL! You can bend your words all you want, but its still ILLEGAL.

And, 99.9% of it has to do with copyright laws and royalty payments.

Just to make sure you understand IT'S ILLEGAL. Just call 1-800-Directv and ask them. Subscribe to Expressvu or reading a freekin' book.

No need to yell at me, Son. I just stated the facts: Canada has laws prohibiting its citizens from receiving foreign DBS subscriptions. Therefore, a Canadian subscribing to DirecTV or DISH would be breaking Canadian law.

I just stated the facts: Canada has laws prohibiting its citizens from receiving foreign DBS subscriptions. Therefore, a Canadian subscribing to DirecTV or DISH would be breaking Canadian law.
Perhaps a link to this law is in order.

The background information can be found here: Industry Canada / Industrie Canada

It is notable that much of the motivation is actually protectionist:

1. It threatens Canadian artists, programmers and distributors by diverting cash flow to other distributors who don't have an inter-governmental agreement to return the funds. At a projected financial impact of up to $400,000,000, it is clearly NOT a victimless crime.

2. It hurts video rental stores.

3. Occasionally, the decoding equipment doesn't meet Canadian communcations specs and may interfere with other communications; possibly emergency communications.

4. The purchase or import of prohibited equipment is against the law in Canada

Here's testimony from DIRECTV that supported the legislative amendments: Copyright Reform Process - DirectTV

Its censorship

Perhaps a link to this law is in order.

The background information can be found here: Industry Canada / Industrie Canada

It is notable that much of the motivation is actually protectionist:

1. It threatens Canadian artists, programmers and distributors by diverting cash flow to other distributors who don't have an inter-governmental agreement to return the funds. At a projected financial impact of up to $400,000,000, it is clearly NOT a victimless crime.

2. It hurts video rental stores.

3. Occasionally, the decoding equipment doesn't meet Canadian communcations specs and may interfere with other communications; possibly emergency communications.

4. The purchase or import of prohibited equipment is against the law in Canada
What I find striking is that there are people who are so willing to accept this form of censorship from the Canadian government. Thats what it is, pure and simple. They are attempting to limit the forms of information that people can obtain. Witness what is happening in Pakistan as people try and obtain outside news. The residents and citizens of Canada should not just stand by and let their freedoms be restricted.

I don't really care what the Canadian government thinks or does on the behalf of its constituents. I'm speaking to these criminally self-righteous types that insisted that:

1. It isn't illegal -- On at least three levels it is illegal in both the spirit and the letter of the law.

2. It isn't hurting anyone -- Apparently DIRECTV and the Canadian government think it is.

I'm not calling anyone pirates or thieves, but receiving DIRECTV programming in Canada, regardless of your citizenship, is illegal and an act of fraud against DIRECTV.

who gives a sh**, i have no problem with it.. I am law abiding 99.9 % of the time but would do it.

Do they check the CC company for the address to match the given address of the subscription?

I amazed at how many people have no sense of right and wrong here. Did your mommies drop you on the head as children one too many times?

Per the letter of the law as it pertains to satellite service, it is illegal to falsely misrepresent your "SERVICE ADDRESS" as being one place when it is in fact at another location. Up to $150,000 fine and/or 10 years in prison if caught and convicted. And it's not so much D*'s policy as it is the FCC telling them where they can and can't broadcast, otherwise D* would be paying fines out the ass. And you can bet they aren't willing to do that simply so Joe Sixpack can have service north of the border, Mexico, whereever. They're simply following mandate handed down to them by the FCC. Is it right? That's open to interpretation. But for now, it's the law. There is no gray area.

You say "well people speed all the time" or they do this or they do that. Maybe they do. But that doesn't make it right. And what happens if you get caught speeding? Cop writes you a ticket and you pay a fine, or if you are going I think like 35-40 over they arrest you. Just because you CAN get away with it doesn't make it right. You may sneak service into Canada and never have an issue the whole time you have it. Or the one time they go on a witchhunt and you get nailed, what then? It's a risk you take, and if you're willing to take it, then you better be willing to suffer the consequences should you get caught.

What happens if you need a service call, and they send a tech to your "house" only to find no recievers, no dish, no nothing? Think they would get a little suspicious about that? Most techs could care less where you have it at, we're only there to install it or service it. But if you get a goodie goodie tech or by chance a supervisor tech who was working the area that day.... Like I said its a risk you take.

All you people saying " But I do it all the time blah blah blah" doesn't change the fact that in the eyes of the law, it is still illegal. Until the courts, the FCC or whomever decides that it isn't anymore, and they rewrite the law, it will still be illegal. And if you get caught you will suffer the consequences. There is no gray area. If it's wrong it's wrong. Not only could you get in trouble but your friend who used his credit card to set you up could get in trouble too. He'd be just as guilty as you are.

And if you don't think people get caught doing this, read this:

Facts About DIRECTV's Anti-Piracy Enforcement

http://www.hackhu.com/faq.php

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)

Latest posts