How do I switch TV 2 to Channel 2-3?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

netsfan

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jun 30, 2005
I have an old TV that only gets 13 channels in VHF.

I want it to be my second TV (on a dual-tuner box), but in the Dish setup I only see TV 2 being Channels 21 on, etc. whereas the first TV is 2-3.

Is there any way to switch this around? I really hope so, because it's on another floor (and so I need the UHF remote) and I'd be screwed if there wasn't!

Thanks.

netsfan said:

I want it to be my second TV (on a dual-tuner box), but in the Dish setup I only see TV 2 being Channels 21 on, etc. whereas the first TV is 2-3.

Is there any way to switch this around? I really hope so, because it's on another floor (and so I need the UHF remote) and I'd be screwed if there wasn't!

Thanks.
Not that I know of. You can use that TV! It should have UHF (14-83) as well as the common 2-13.

You can set teh TV2 output to standard and use one of the UHF channels. Be sure, if the TV is one of the older ones with a separate terminal for VHF and UHF, that you connect the cable to the UHF terminal on the TV.

netsfan said:

Thanks.
How old is that TV? I believe it was in the 60s that a UHF tuner became mandatory. Or is it you just don't know how to use the TVs you own? :)

If you have an older TV that won't tune in above 13 use a VCR. Tune the TV to channel 3 and then use the VCR to tune in the 2nd channel output of the receiver. Have run into this alot.

Another thing with these older TV's that have the F-connection and the old lug connection is to short the lugs. It really clears up the picture, you would be suprised how nice a picture some of those old TV's have.

Sorry. I didn't know it could use the UHF as well! But the UHF connectors are the 2 "screw-in" types (for the round antenna) and not the regular coax connection. How would I connect my coax cable to that?

Thank you guys already for the help! I now have hope! Also, what does "short the lugs" mean?

You can get, at Wally World or Rat Shack, a 75-ohm (coax) to 2-screw matching transformer pretty cheap.

chaddux said:
Or, as it is usually known, Wal Mart.
Have you noticed that some towns have a Wal*Mart and others have a Wal-Mart?

Before I say "any decent department store should have them" I have to try to remember the last time I bought one - or saw a TV with screw connections that wasn't old. Parts like a "300 ohm adapter" are going the way of the LP and VHS. So I'd check at Meijer, WalMart, KMart/Sears Essentials, before RS for price but with gas prices being what they are wouldn't go too far out of my way.

JL

If you wann be really cheap.

Strip about 3" of the coax to just the center conductor. Then strip about a 1/4" of just the outer jacket. Bend a hook in the center conductor and screw down one side of the lugs. Then unscrew the other lug all the way. Lay the part of the coax that you just stipped the outer jacket off, then just snug the screw on, it does not have to be real tight.

Most of the time when you just get the coax close to the lugs you will get a picture.

Dave nye said:
If you wann be really cheap.
Yeah me wann be real cheap mon. Daylight come an' me wann go home too. :D

FYI another term for those 300-ohm to 75-ohm adapters is 'balun' for 'balanced/unbalanced transformer'. I have many of both types--female F to wire 'fork' hooks (what are those called...?) and male F to terminal screws.
netsfan said:
...whereas the first TV is 2-3.
FYI part II, I think you mean 3-4. :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)