How do I transfer recorded shows...

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

ncinsguy

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Oct 4, 2007
to my pc so i can back them up to dvd. I've contacted tech support several time with no help at all. They say only the software developers know anything technical about the file formats and such. I did a test recording and then tried to hook the drive to my pc and it didn't see anything on the drive. Seems like Windows changes the file stucture cause when hook it back up to my 622 it reformats it. I don't want to keep buying more and more drives when I can make back ups cheaply with dvd-r's. please help and sorry if this has been covered already i just found this site today.

I didn't think you could transfer the recordings to a PC for "archiving" as the HDD is supposed to be the archive.

The recording files are encrypted.

If you want to 'back them up' you're going to have to dub them (i.e. downrez to SD output).

That's the concession you make w/ Dish's hard drive archiving--its a closed system.

no one has figured out how to do this yet? there has got to be a way for windows to see these files.

This is not something that is discussed here. If you are that interested check out some yahoo groups.

don't get your panties in a bunch, this is the satellite forums right? this isn't considered a hack i just want to back up my files to dvd. it's legal to for dvds why not these files?
This is not something that is discussed here. If you are that interested check out some yahoo groups.

Because you don't own these files the way you own the DVD and have a right to make a backup copy.

Because you don't own these files the way you own the DVD and have a right to make a backup copy.

well we are paying monthly fees and even a fee just to activate the ability to use the usb drive so to me with all that money tied up we should be able to do as we please with the files except reproduce them for resale.

well we are paying monthly fees and even a fee just to activate the ability to use the usb drive so to me with all that money tied up we should be able to do as we please with the files except reproduce them for resale.
Yeah and I should be able to buy myself a new Yukon Denali but neither thing is going to happen in our lifetimes.

But seriously what do you have against harddrive backup? You can buy as many drives as you like and with the prices today they are not much more expensive per movie than blank HD DVD media and you don't even have to buy an expensive HD DVD burner.

don't get your panties in a bunch, this is the satellite forums right? this isn't considered a hack i just want to back up my files to dvd. it's legal to for dvds why not these files?

No panties in a bunch herre. If you want to burn them to dvd then connect direct to a dvd burner, no issues. If you want to transfer to a computer to burn to a dvd then we don't discuss that here, if you do a quick search of yahoo groups you will find your answers.

Yeah and I should be able to buy myself a new Yukon Denali but neither thing is going to happen in our lifetimes.

But seriously what do you have against harddrive backup? You can buy as many drives as you like and with the prices today they are not much more expensive per movie than blank HD DVD media and you don't even have to buy an expensive HD DVD burner.

hdd can and will fail so what happens to all the shows then? with a back up they won't be lost when a hdd fails. i love external hdds i have two that i use on my pc to record some sd shows now, then i dump them to a dvd so my drives will always have free space. my main concern is hardware failure and the fact i can only watch the shows on one tv or move the drive a total of 3x.

No panties in a bunch herre. If you want to burn them to dvd then connect direct to a dvd burner, no issues. If you want to transfer to a computer to burn to a dvd then we don't discuss that here, if you do a quick search of yahoo groups you will find your answers.

the receiver won't recognize a burner, it won't even see ext drives below 20gb but if you know of a burner that will work let me know.

the receiver won't recognize a burner, it won't even see ext drives below 20gb but if you know of a burner that will work let me know.

Stand alone burners work just fine. All you do is connect the video output to the receiver and the input to the burner and "play" the show you want to transfer to the burner. Then hit record on the burner. Just like a VCR.

You don't own the content unless you buy it. Period. You have not bought it, ergo you can't drag it to your computer hard drive and start duplicating it.

Blame the DMCA and MPAA.

Stand alone burners work just fine. All you do is connect the video output to the receiver and the input to the burner and "play" the show you want to transfer to the burner. Then hit record on the burner. Just like a VCR.

true, i can do that directy to my pc also with a capture device and i considered that route but i haven't been able to find one with anything better than a s-video connection so hd shows won't be hd. any burners out there with a hdmi or component video connection.

And I think there is a Sony SD-Dvd recorder with component in, but SD-DVD is still limited to 480i.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts