How do I upgrade my old big dish?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

66hiway

Original poster
Mar 24, 2008
I installed big dishes way back when....I have a big dish with C/Ku LNB's, and a GI receiver with a 4DTV sidecar.. What do I need to do to add FTA to my system without losing what I have now? Can it be done? I don't have much to spend, so keep it cheap:):).

:welcome to the group

also pick a FTA receiver that has blind scan ability.... its a useful addition

the review section has several with good reviews and if PVR function is need

also there might be some in the classified section on this board.

I installed big dishes way back when....I have a big dish with C/Ku LNB's, and a GI receiver with a 4DTV sidecar.. What do I need to do to add FTA to my system without losing what I have now? Can it be done? I don't have much to spend, so keep it cheap:):).

You are going to need to use the GI receiver as master ( move the dish & control polarity ) and the DVB receiver as a slave .

Since you have C & Ku band on the big dish , get two splitter , each has one port that passes DC ( the GI receiver ) , the other port does not pass DC ( the DVB receiver ) .

In addition to this , a standard Diesque switch commonly used for DVB . Several coax patch cords .

Wyr

get an HD free to air receiver if you have an HD tv. There are some HD feeds up there that look good. The pansat 9200 HD has blind scan to find transponders. Mine scans pretty fast too.

One more thing.....

Thanks everyone for the information. This is exactly what I was looking for. The kit will work for my application. The only thing that I am still curious about is: Will my old standard C/Ku lnb's cover the full frequency spectrum needed for the FTA receiver. I have never seen any specs on this. I prefer not to change anything since it works perfectly.

Thanks again for all of your help!:):):):)

They should. If the lnbs are too old they may not have enough stability to lock a good digital signal. I would just try them first and check your dish alignment. Geo-orbit.org has great info on aligning and peaking the dish.

Worst case you may have to upgrade lnbs. It's not that they won't cover the frequency but they must have good stability and low noise levels.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts