AMIKO How do I use Sling with an FTA receiver

Chris_R

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jan 27, 2007
Northern California
I've been in the process of setting up (and learning) an Amiko Mini HD SE. I'm sure I'll be playing with it A LOT here at home, however I work at a summer camp from June to August, and there is at least one channel that I would like to be able to receive in the cabin where I stay...so I've been looking at what options might be out there.

I have heard about Sling, but am very confused by the technology; a few years ago it seemed like it was a device that allowed you to "stream" your home cable or satellite system to you over the internet, "wherever you go," however it now seems like they are turning into a different sort of product altogether. I'd just like to be able to get a specific channel (or channels) from the Amiko at home to my cabin at camp (and no, the campers will not have access to it lol).

What is the best solution here, and how would I go about setting this up?

I have a very fast internet connection both at home, and at the camp, and would use it after hours when fewer people are using the internet on the property. I would also prefer to view any programs over a TV that I already have in the cabin, as opposed to watching on a laptop or mobile device.

Thanks!

I have an early version of the HD SlingBox hooked to my FTA receiver. Fortunately the SlingBox supports my remote codes.
Slingbox was bought by Dish and they now have it built into their stuff and started a off shoot service "SlingTV"
Not sure but you probably have to find and old used one to do what you want.

I primarily use my laptop to view my Slingbox. But can plug that into a modern TV with a HDMI cable easy enough. My mother uses it mostly because she is not allowed a satellite dish on her building, and she watches BVN at times. I use it to stay hooked up to Griz Football when I'm away :)

I use a Slingbox with FTA receivers when I am outside adjusting dishes. I connect to the Slingbox through WiFi on my laptop. Works great. I recommend an older Slingbox where you can still use the SlingPlayer app, and not have to use their newer 'web only' version.

When adjusting my dish I turn on 'Control Mode' in the SlingPlayer app to reduce the lag time.

Mine is a Slingbox Pro SB200-100.

I use a Slingbox with FTA receivers when I am outside adjusting dishes. I connect to the Slingbox through WiFi on my laptop. Works great. I recommend an older Slingbox where you can still use the SlingPlayer app, and not have to use their newer 'web only' version.

When adjusting my dish I turn on 'Control Mode' in the SlingPlayer app to reduce the lag time.

Mine is a Slingbox Pro SB200-100.

So the whole Slingbox hardware/service really has changed...wow. Yes I definitely will look for an older model, thanks for the model number; aren't they sort of like a pad that you can place next to or on top of your STB, hook up and you're set to go? And do you need some sort of an app in order to view your service back home?

I have heard that there are JP1 remote control codes for the Amiko mini HD SE. The remote image is generic, but the key functions are there.

If you want to stream HD content make sure that you understand the copyright protection issues with the Slingbox 500 HDMI connection. Reading material: http://www.slingbox.com/hdmi

It's just going to be for SD, so no need for HDMI I'm not going to be watching any hi def stuff at camp. Hence I am still trying to get the mini jack / RCA output working properly on the Amiko (separate issue altogether) ;)

I have the HD350 Pro Here on the lower shelf.
Media Center 007.JPG

I use the standalone app for viewing on my LAN.

I have the HD350 Pro Here on the lower shelf.
View attachment 106231

I use the standalone app for viewing on my LAN.

Hmm...just did some checking, there is a Slingbox Pro-HD out there that looks like yours, but the Slingbox 350 is a current model and has a different style. Or maybe I'm just having trouble looking for it ;)

How's it working out for you? Is the picture quality pretty good, and can you stream to your laptop with this app or are you using another type of mobile device?

Ideally, would be nice to record too, but I don't think Slingboxes have that feature...

I use the sling player software on my laptop and can view the slingbox anywhere in the world. Picture quality is decent. I can also be viewed in a web browser on any computer with a good connection. Here is the file. whoops didn't realize it was 65M ;)

Attachments

• SlingPlayer-2.0.4-Setup.zip
    61.3 MB · Views: 235
I use the sling player software on my laptop and can view the slingbox anywhere in the world. Picture quality is decent. I can also be viewed in a web browser on any computer with a good connection. Here is the file. whoops didn't realize it was 65M ;)

Just had part of my question answered as I was typing...nice! Thanks & no worries on the file size - you can record/save programs remotely? Not at home, just remotely.

Just had part of my question answered as I was typing...nice! Thanks & no worries on the file size - you can record/save programs remotely? Not at home, just remotely.
I never used the recording function but I have used it at home a lot of times. The unit I have also has an ATSC tuner in it. I also have my WD Hub Live hooked to it. :)

I'm using the SlingPlayer versions downloaded recently from the company website. In SlingPlayer 2.04 for Windows I see a pause / resume function but no 'Record' button. In SlingPlayer 1.0.10.272 for Mac it doesn't even have a pause button -- just a 'Stop' button which will disconnect it from the SlingBox.

Using SlingPlayer I don't see any way to save recordings as files on the computer hard drive. Maybe that capability was only offered in an earlier version or another model?

Edit: I'm guessing that to record you would need to intercept the video stream somehow with other software?

Notice that the SlingPlayer Firefox browser addon also has the record button. Don't often use the browser version, so no experience with using the function.

I have seen a few programs dedicated to recording the Slingbox stream. The current popular PC software is called Jaksta.

I use the DVR functions of the connected STB for original quality recordings. Not sure why anyone would want to record the received programs from the compressed Slingbox encoded stream.

My GSP FTA receiver has DVR functions which are accessed from the Slingbox control (virtual GSP remote). That is the only way you should be recording. Like Titanium indicated the Sling stream is heavily compressed and the compression changes to meet the capabilities of the IP connection as it fluctuates.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)