How do the broadcasters keep there big dishes clean of snow in the wintertime??

Status
Please reply by conversation.

stanleyjohn

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Mar 25, 2010
south/central Ct,USA
yesterday we had a good snowstorm and i had to clean off the dish a few times to keep a signal.What do the broadcasters do to keep the big dishes clean of snow or does it really matter.

At the radio station I worked at, the dishes we on the ground and we cleaned them off with brooms. Luckily the guys would do it, I was always worried when I went in for my shift......

Same here in Iowa at the TV / newspaper I used to worked at as whoever was the tech on duty or on call had to go out and clean them with a long broom, more than once had to come in from home to do it. Now I just step outside to clean them, but at least not in the middle of the night.

The local Fox affiliate here has huge black covers over their dishes..not sure what they're made of though. I've seen them when I go downtown Cincy

Up-link sites, depending on location, quite often will have heated dishes. Probably the same at major down-link sites.

yesterday we had a good snowstorm and i had to clean off the dish a few times to keep a signal.What do the broadcasters do to keep the big dishes clean of snow or does it really matter.

They use automatic de-icing systems. Some use forced air and some use heat blankets.

At the radio station I worked at, the dishes we on the ground and we cleaned them off with brooms. Luckily the guys would do it, I was always worried when I went in for my shift......

Must not be a big outfit if they have to send someone out to manually brush out the snow. But, I have seen de-icing systems fail to operate and they send some poor guy up and into the dish (a solid dish) to sweep it out. Just don't do it when an uplink is in progress.

What would Red Green do?

OK- I'll bite- what breed of cat? Savannah?

I've seen them out sweeping at one local TV station during a snowstorm. Seems to be a team effort by who ever is available. Maybe the office staff gets to go out and get some fresh air? Don't think they have heaters or there would be a mass of ice building up below the dishes where the water would drain off. Snow just gets pushed off the side of the building (I think there's a sidewalk below!)

I used to wonder why my former local RTV station used to off during a snow storm until I saw the dishes behind the station during the local weather broadcast. The meteorologist was doing a live weather report outside the studio in the backyard and the dishes were buried with snow. Didn't appear as though anyone ever brushed them off.

????-?????

??? ??? ?????? ???? ?????.
?????? ?? ?????? ????? ?????? ???????? ? ???.???? ????????? ???????,?? ???? ??????? ? ??????? ??????? ? ? LNB ???? ? ??? ? ???????.? ??? ????????? ?????,???? ??? ????????????...
?????? ????? ?????? ? ???????? ??? ??????? ??????.? ?? ????? ?????? ????,??????,???????????? ????? ?? ???????????.????? ??????? ???????? ? ???????? ? ??????? ??????? ?????? -?????? ?????-.?????? ???????,???? ??????????? ?? ????? ?? ????????.
????? ?????? ?????? ???????,????? ???? ????-?????.?? LNB-=?????= ? ?????????? ?????????? ??????? ? ??????????? ???????.???????? ??? ????? ????????,??????????.? ??????? ????? ? ????????? ??? LNB.
IMG_3128.jpg ??? ?? ?????.jpg936242.jpg

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts