How do the dual recivers work on 2 tvs?

Johnwashere

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Aug 17, 2005
Im just about to sign up for dish at my house on ohio state in a few weeks but I have a few questions. I have 4 tvs, and dish says I only need 2 boxes. How is that so? Direc tv said i would need 4 boxes with them. With dishs dual tuner setup, do I get a digital guide on all of my 4 tvs if I use the 2 boxes? Or will it be like standard cable, where I dont get the guide. I dont want to use the "tv guide" channel to see whats on. I want the digital cable like guide on all 4 of my tvs. I hope im making the right decision by going with dish 180 plan.
Also does dish offer student discounts? My cable company (time warner) does, and Im hoping dish will be cheaper. I think cable might be a little cheaper then dish with a college discount.

With dual tuner (actually, dual output to be more specific) receivers you will only need 2 boxes for 4 TVs. Each box has outputs in the form of analog A/V (RCA style connection, L/R analog stereo and composite video) and RF (F connector, ch. 3/4 or 14-69, for a "coax" cable). The TV closest to the box uses the "TV1" output which has some additional output types (i.e. S-Video and digital audio out). The other TV uses the TV2 output.

I don't think Dish Network offers student discounts, but look into their ClubDISH program for a good source of discounts.

Dish with it's dual tuner boxes works just fine. The receiver sits at one tv and is controlled by an IR remote. The second TV on the receiver is controlled by a UHF/IR remote. The only issue I have had with my setup is I have to have good batteries in the UHF/IR remote so that the signal will make it to the other receiver. Also make sure they put the UHF remotes on different frequencies before the installer leaves.

hmm ok. Well Il prob. set one box on my 30'hdtv and hook it up with s-video (in the family room), and then my bedroom is next to the family room, and so can I hook the other one up with a/v cables, or will I have to use RF for the other one?

4 TV's 2 pairs. However you want them set up is good. Are you getting the HDTV pack? I don't believe any of the current HD receivers is dual tuner... I may be wrong.

I stand Corrected. The 942 is a dual tuner DVR.

The 921 is also a dual tuner DVR, but not dual output. When placing your order, don't let that confuse you into getting a dual tuner receiver which happens to not be a dual output receiver. :)

Im not gona get the HD pack. I dont wanna spend that much. Im spending about 62 a month with dish. :( Becuase with the hd pack, i would have to rent out the hd box and 2 normal boxes. Thats an extra 10 a month there, then i would have to pay another 10 for the hd content after 6 months

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts