How do the viewing areas work? How many sats should you have?

MikeInAlaska

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jul 31, 2009
Wasilla, AK
I guess I understand there are a couple "arcs" of satellite and I am on the western arc, 110, 119, and 129. But now I learn there is a 118, so does that imply that I'm not receiving everything I could be?

Also I have channels listed which the program guide says I receive -- but it says not authorized for my viewing area when I try to select them. How is that being determined, why would my box show me them in the first place as OK? It doesn't show Cinemax or other channels (I do not have) in the same way.

Mike

I guess I understand there are a couple "arcs" of satellite and I am on the western arc, 110, 119, and 129. But now I learn there is a 118, so does that imply that I'm not receiving everything I could be?

Also I have channels listed which the program guide says I receive -- but it says not authorized for my viewing area when I try to select them. How is that being determined, why would my box show me them in the first place as OK? It doesn't show Cinemax or other channels (I do not have) in the same way.

Mike
You would only be getting 118.7 if you were subscribed to internationals. I would change the guide setting to show only subscribed channels.

Mostly they would be sports aux channels in which the games are blocked out outside of the team's viewing area. Sometimes national sports channels like ESPN have to black out games due to them being carried on a local network or rsn.

It shows in the guide though like I have them, and then when I select them it says I can't watch them.
Versus something I am not subscribed to, which does not show in the guide.

So if you are subscribed to International, does 118 and 119 come in on the same LNB?

It shows in the guide though like I have them, and then when I select them it says I can't watch them.

So if you are subscribed to International, does 118 and 119 come in on the same LNB?
No, 118 is whole different ballgame. It takes a special lnb....

No, 118 is whole different ballgame. It takes a special lnb....
Dish has a special joint LNB that gets both 118.7 and 119. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Dish-Networ...ntenna-lnbf-/180757498265?hash=item2a15fc8999
iu

Also I have channels listed which the program guide says I receive -- but it says not authorized for my viewing area when I try to select them.
What channels ? I'm guessing they are sports-related channels....

I would say his being in Alaska he is seeing channels his dish can not get a signal from, same as if you moved out of the spotbeam of your locals and tried to watch them. Either he has a Satellite he does not need or his box is not set for the Alaska packages.

If he is seeing it on ESPN as an example then it could be channels that are blacked out but I'm not sure the "not authorized" is the message you would get it would be a blacked out message.

As others have said 118 is for international channels not needed for any regular programming.

If he has the Alaska Dish, and the CST was ran with the alternative box checked, it can very easily show the not authorized message. Where in Alaska and what type of Dish he is using will make all the difference.

Reactions: Tampa8

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts