How do you Control a Polorotor with 2 Receiver Setup & Pics?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

jsattv

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jul 4, 2006
I'm trying to setup a big C Band Dish and I have been told that my Scalar Ring (which is 6.75 inches in diameter) that now holds an Old Chaparal and T-Comm LNB is too small to hold a BSC-621-2 C/KU LNB. See picture. If I purchase a Corotor II + LNB it looks like it will easily fit my existing Scalar Ring as I would just have to undo a bolt and Nut to slip out my existing LNB. See picture. Can my existing Chaparal LNB Holder be adapted to any other LNB's with the Tee-Comm removed?

If I use a new Corotor II it will fit my existing scalar ring, but how do I control the Polorotor if I hook the setup to be slaved to my ViewSat Receiver? See picture? That is, can I still use the Uniden 9900 Receiver for Polorotor Control even if it is DC Blocked thru a Splitter as shown in the attached Word Dwg? (The Uniden 9900P Power Supply will be used for 36 VDC Actuator Control). Any replies would be appreciated.

Attachments

• DSC00629.JPG
    DSC00629.JPG
    249.1 KB · Views: 248
  • Connecting Uniden and ViewSat Receivers for C and Ku Band to BUD Dish.doc
    127 KB · Views: 352
  • DSC00638.JPG
    DSC00638.JPG
    269.6 KB · Views: 229
jsattv
if you can undo the screw holding the feedhorn to the scaler and measure the width i can tell you if it will work. other than that there are other options too like buying some elec conduit and making new feedhorn arms that are adjustable a bit more than the ones you have plus you should be able to fit any scaler to it. ( this is a 10-15$ option)

if your controling a corotor then your old analog receiver will control polarity and skew and the dvb receiver will just view the channel

yes that splitter option should work. the dc block would be on the "to dvb side"

The Uniden doesn't control the Polarity through the Co-Ax Cable, it has 3 separate wires to do that function. So, a DC Block through a Splitter won't make any difference. I would (and do) prefer the Corotor II myself. But, if you want the BSC621-2, you could modify the Scaler Ring that comes with it, to fit onto the Support Arms (brackets) that support the one you already have and replace it? Also, do you realize that the BSC621-2 is a Universal LNB and only the lower frequencies will work with the Uniden on the KU-band side of the spectrum? (I think???)....
Good Luck!

Al

Edit: I see my slow writing is late again. Hey George, Fred told us about what happened and you were home from the Hospital. Glad you're home and hope you're doing better!

Thanks for the replies Gabshere and Voomvoom. George, I hope your okay! I think I will go ahead and order the Corotor II + LNB for my setup here especially if the BSC 621-2 limits my selections to Universal only. Does the Corotor II have 2 Coax outputs for C and KU Band - its difficult to tell on the advertising Picture of it??

Re Polarity and Skew
So if I understand - then the second Receiver or the Uniden 9900 will control Polarity and Skew even though it is NOT selecting the Channels that the ViewSat Rx is doing? Sorry for the lack of knowledge, but how does that help? Does the Polarity & Skew Adjustment with the Uniden 9900 provide more fine tuning on the Sat channel selected on the Other Receiver??

Would a V BOX III purchase simplify things, especially for initial setup in the back yard near the big Dish?

A universal LNB will not "restrict" you from receiving any KU signals. The Universal lnb merely allows you to tune into universal signals that are beyond the normal frequencies supported by standard lnbs. This is done by the use of a 22k tone, which means that the only thing a universal lnb will restrict is the use of a 22k switch in your setup (which should not be a problem for you at this point). If you don't have a need to receive signals from the universal bandwidth (not many out there anyhow!) then you can go with the BSC-621, which is a standard lnb and not a universal. A side note that voomvoom was picking up on, is that some older receivers are not designed to know how to talk to a universal lnb.. so that may pose a problem if you chose to use an older receiver (or an 4dtv unit)

As far as polarity/skew, other than buying one of the very few specific FTA receivers designed to control the polarity/skew, your only options if you chose to use the corotor is to use a 2nd receiver such as the uniden to control those functions. I don't see this as "helpful", as you have asked, as much as I see it as necessary unless you have a DVB receiver that can control polarity/skew (only a couple models do this). What this means is that you'll have to tune the polarity with the uniden and the channel with your dvb receiver everytime you want to change channels - which can be a hassle until you get used to it. However you also get the benefit of the Uniden controlling the dish position at the same time.

If you buy a VBOX (I, I, or III) the only thing you gain is control of the dish positioning via the dvb recevier. If you're sticking with the Uniden to control polarity/skew, then there's no real benefit (except in the case that you know you don't need to change from the current polarity skew in order to view channels on another sat). If you are going to use a DVB receiver that controls polarity/skew, then the VBOX would defnitely be helpful, as it would eliminate the need to have the Uniden in the mix. If you're going with the BSC621 (or bsc621-2) then you might as well go with the vbox to control positioning as well.

jsattv
i actually prefer a v-box ( but thats me ) it makes things simple move the dish with diseqc commands and all. if you pick this way to go and get a corotor then you would either need a dvb receiver that can control the polarity /skew ( pansat 3500) or still have to control it with the analog receiver. using the bsc621 / GEOSATpro c/ku lnbf would take care of this type problem( and you could control the polarity with any dvb receiver )

a bsc-621 would work on the regular channels , the 621-2 is a uni as mentioned above.

So if I understand - then the second Receiver or the Uniden 9900 will control Polarity and Skew even though it is NOT selecting the Channels that the ViewSat Rx is doing? Sorry for the lack of knowledge, but how does that help? Does the Polarity & Skew Adjustment with the Uniden 9900 provide more fine tuning on the Sat channel selected on the Other Receiver??
although you will be making the polarity and skew adjustments with the analog receiver you can watch the dvb channels when making this adjustment ( or set a second tv for the analog box so not to get confused , i did this at first back when i had a corotor.) and although it sounds like the analog receiver is making the adjustments ( and it is ) the adjustments are taking place out at the co rotor so the dvb receiver ( and analog receiver) both will take advantage of those adjustments.

on the bsc621 / bsc621-2 and the GEOSATpro c/ku the skew is set to zero at the TS satellite so its automatacally done when the dish turns ( also this takes any kind of skew adjustments out so no way to adjust skew without climbing up to the dish and manually turning it ) this is where the co rotor shines above the cheaper breathern... you can adjust the skew on each satellite if needed or wanted.

i will say this that a co rotor is nice but a bit over kill if not planning a 4dtv down the road a setup with a v-box (III) and a bcs621/bcs621-2 or GEOSATpro c/ku was for me the best route and love it.
hope this helps and yes guys i'm doing lots better :) thanks

Wow, thanks for the very detailed replies Gabshere, and Lumpkin666. I need to carefully review all that you have suggested - but it sounds like the V Box III and the BSC - 621-2 may my the best options. Has anyone actually measured the diameter of that BSC - 621 ring? My Chaparal Scalar ring is 6.75 inches in diameter.

The hole in the Scaler Ring from one of mine is 2-1/2". I have one from SatelliteAV and one from DMSI (neither is a Universal ku). I only see one Scaler Ring laying around, I'm not sure which one is goes with. I thought I had one for each, but apparently not? I'm not currently using either, one is on a temporary dish and the other is in the store room. The one on the dish is from DMSI and it is about a 1/16" wider than the other one. I'm thinking since the other one is 2-1/2", the Scaler Ring I see must belong to it. Both of these BSC621 lnbf's are about 1/8" smaller than any of my C-band lnb's. Hope this helps.

Al

i can tell you this jsattv that the scaler you have is special for that dish
to get another scaler to fit it you will have to modify the mounting arms or use the current scaler. i've not seen another scaler that has the hook up like yours. this is not to scare you or anything just to let you know that a modification would have to be made to connect a different scaler.

How do you Control a Polorotor with 2 Receiver Setup & Pics?

i can tell you this jsattv that the scaler you have is special for that dish
to get another scaler to fit it you will have to modify the mounting arms or use the current scaler. i've not seen another scaler that has the hook up like yours. this is not to scare you or anything just to let you know that a modification would have to be made to connect a different scaler.

Thanks a lot gabshere, yes that's the dilemma with my setup. One thing I think for sure is that the Chaparal Corotor II + should likely fit in my scalar ring since my existing assembly is Labelled Chaparal with the Tee-Comm LNB and by undoing the Nut that holds it - it easily removes from my Scaler Ring. See Scaler Nut and Bolt in Picture.

Attachments

• DSC00638.JPG
    DSC00638.JPG
    267.7 KB · Views: 214
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts