How do you determine what CPU chip your hopper has?

ocgamer

Original poster
Mar 28, 2014
Central PA
Im having lagg issues between what I press on my remote and how long it takes the hopper to process the command. I only get this error about 50% of the time and it usually happens when im in the menu system or when I use the FF button. I reset the remote changed the batteries im only 5 feet from unit when using remote no heat nearby or weird RF signals in my house. From what I can figure out DISH upgraded their processor from 750mhz to 1.3ghz in Feb of 2014. My experience with this kind of secret upgrade usually can be figured out by the model number however dish CS didnt have any way of figuring out which version I have but worse if I ask for a replacement from DISH I will not be able to figure out which chip I got. Now in the past the way I got the exact receiver I wanted was to call down to the warehouse people and talk to them directly. I dont want to have to backup my DVR and deal with shipping if im just going to get another unit that is identical to my unit. One way I know to get the faster chip is to order it with the sling built in that will guarantee the chip upgrade however I dont use the sling option I use the internet for off line viewing. Does anyone have an idea how to get the model information on the newer units?

A faster chip really does not make much difference when software slows things down. My HWS is not nearly as frisky as it was about 9 months ago when I got it.

Ah so your saying there are no newer hopper w/o sling argh! Talk about upselling.

Just because it has the Sling built in, doesn't mean you have to use it...and there are no additional fees for the Hopper w/ Sling over the Original Hopper. :)

I rarely use Sling, but I recently upgraded my original Hopper to an HWS and the speed difference was quite noticeable. Check with a DIRT member, you may even be eligible for a free upgrade.

Last edited:
Not sure what you mean you have to pay for the sling upgrade to your hopper I think its about $100 if you buy the unit. Dont know how much it is to rent it. Nothing is free from Dish or any other provider. They make you pay rental fees or maybe you didnt notice.

Good luck finding an original Hopper to buy, they're pretty much discontinued as a new product. I don't think Dish Depot or Solid Signal carry them any more. Real world there never was much difference in pricing after the intro period.

Dish will likely upgrade you to HWS for no cost if your willing to accept a commitment and a good account. Monthly fees are identical for both units.

There aren't many valid reasons for buying equipment. If it is to avoid a commitment, realize the ETF for an equipment upgrade is only $10/month for the remaining term, or at most $240.00 if you cancel the day after install. Considering your likely to stay for at least a few months, the odds are your better off with the ETF vs purchase.

Last edited:
Not sure what you mean you have to pay for the sling upgrade to your hopper I think its about $100 if you buy the unit. Dont know how much it is to rent it. Nothing is free from Dish or any other provider. They make you pay rental fees or maybe you didnt notice.

Well...I paid nothing for the upgrade, and my dish bill didn't change from the original Hopper to the HWS...to me that's a no cost upgrade. ;)

Obviously if you prefer to buy your equipment, there would be a cost do so. For my situation, leasing works well, with all fees being the same.

That "secret upgrade" was noted in their advertising material.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

The monthly rate is the same as the Hopper. Purchasing does not change the monthly rate. It is an access fee, not a rental fee. Please send me a PM with your account information if you'd like me to research upgrade options.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)