How do you Fast Forward (FWD) at 4X speed?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
The problem isn't the operation of how to activate FF and/or change the speed, it was that they removed one of the speed options (4X) that at least a few of us preferred to use. Used to be 4X, 15X, 60X, and 300X. Now its just 15X, 60X, and 300X.

Oh. I guess I never noticed. I rarely use the FF and usually just use the skip buttons. When I do, I use the 300x to get to the beginning of a show.

To fast forward using the 52.0 remote you are instructed to hold down the forward arrow button. The speed should start at 4X and increase the longer you hold the key down. However, I don't seem to be quick enough to ever FWD at only 4X speed. I jump to 15X every time. Is there a trick to get the slower speed?
DWS44 Jim S.

Unless I'm missing something here we DO have (something like) 4x. It's labeled "slow". Not part of the regular cycle speeds, but still available for those that like to slow playback down.

During recording playback or when you are rewound in live TV:
<New remotes> Press and hold the skip/fast forward button to cycle through your normal 15x, 60x and 300x. Each press with advance to the next speed.
<Old 40 remotes> Just press the fast forward button to cycle.

For slow motion:
Press the pause button first
and while you see the pause screen with the bottom banner timeline, then press the skip/fast forward button <40 remotes use the fast forward button>. You will see the word "slow" to the right. Ta Da!
or
Press the pause button and wait until the pause screen with the bottom banner timeline disappears, then press the skip/fast forward button <40 remotes do not have to wait for the banner to disappear; just pause then use the skip forward button>. You are now in frame-by-frame mode.

Press the pause button again to return to normal speed playback.

Supposedly you can do the same pause then rewind, but it does not play smoothly like the slow motion forward. More like a skip back a few frames, play, skip back a few more frames, play, ....

Reactions: scottk52
GF having some trouble with FF speeds. TOO FAST! or not fast enough. Hard to find the sweet spot. And 'The Americans' on FX looks like sh*t...wondering why FX channel blacks get SUPER crushed.

Last edited:
Count me IN as one of the greatly disappointed. I used 4X (as well as all the other FWD and BACK speeds) quite a lot because X15 is just too fast in some cases. I would hope they bring back the X4 speed.

Reactions: DWS44
DWS44 Jim S.

Unless I'm missing something here we DO have (something like) 4x. It's labeled "slow". Not part of the regular cycle speeds, but still available for those that like to slow playback down.

During recording playback or when you are rewound in live TV:
<New remotes> Press and hold the skip/fast forward button to cycle through your normal 15x, 60x and 300x. Each press with advance to the next speed.
<Old 40 remotes> Just press the fast forward button to cycle.

For slow motion:
Press the pause button first
and while you see the pause screen with the bottom banner timeline, then press the skip/fast forward button <40 remotes use the fast forward button>. You will see the word "slow" to the right. Ta Da!
or
Press the pause button and wait until the pause screen with the bottom banner timeline disappears, then press the skip/fast forward button <40 remotes do not have to wait for the banner to disappear; just pause then use the skip forward button>. You are now in frame-by-frame mode.

Press the pause button again to return to normal speed playback.

Supposedly you can do the same pause then rewind, but it does not play smoothly like the slow motion forward. More like a skip back a few frames, play, skip back a few more frames, play, ....

The original 4X was a FF/REW speed that was 4 times faster than normal playback speed. It was a FF/REW speed that was not as fast as 15X (which is obviously 15 times faster than normal speed)...Unless I'm missing something, the "4X" you are describing is the slightly sped up slow motion (i.e. still slower than normal playback speed, not faster).

Reactions: Tron2012
If I remember correctly there used to be multiple slow speeds now with the new carbon UI it looks like they have just one slow speed getting rid of the others.
They need to bring those back also. This new UI is nice but why have they removed so many features that have been on the DISH DVRs for years?

Unless I'm missing something, the "4X" you are describing is the slightly sped up slow motion (i.e. still slower than normal playback speed, not faster).
No, there was definitely a 4X "faster" option. There was also a 1/4 "slow-motion" option. To get it, you had to pause first and then hit the FF button once. I believe you could hit it a 2nd time and get a faster slow-motion choice too. If I'm not mistaken, both of these slow-motion options are gone now too.

The original 4X was a FF/REW speed that was 4 times faster than normal playback speed. It was a FF/REW speed that was not as fast as 15X (which is obviously 15 times faster than normal speed)...Unless I'm missing something, the "4X" you are describing is the slightly sped up slow motion (i.e. still slower than normal playback speed, not faster).

Thanks for the reminder. For years I rarely used the fast forwards and mostly rely on the skip ahead/back if I want to move in small chunks (like others who have mastered the skip ahead 6 or whatever times to skip past commercials or in between downs in a football game). Why I didn't remember the slower speed. Generally I use the fast forwards when I really want to move ahead or back a long way. But understand some people use the DVR in different ways.

Maybe the 'slow' will help ease the pain for some who miss the old 4x then. ;)

Reactions: DWS44

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts