How do you feel about directv's current HR series?

How do you feel about directv's current HR series?

• I feel that the HR series of dvr's are excellent!

Votes: 24 17.3%
  • I like the HR series and am confident the CE program will resolve all issues with it

Votes: 54 38.8%
  • I feel it's time Directv moves on to a totally new DVR away from the current HR series.

Votes: 43 30.9%
  • Tivo is the only solution to a better Directv dvr.

Votes: 18 12.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Please reply by conversation.
I know that. But then you have to hit a different button and then go through folders and select the show you were just watching to go back to the recorded show. Two buttons and several folders.

On the HR it is the same button hit once each time to go back and forth between the two shows.
That is actually a great feature I am using a lot now. DISH doesn't have this feature either. I swear the HR is a speedy processor away from blowing away the competition.

That is actually a great feature I am using a lot now. DISH doesn't have this feature either. I swear the HR is a speedy processor away from blowing away the competition.

Exactly what I feel. Once MRV works right and the UI gets a little more speed, to me it won't even be close.

By current, are you referring to the HR-21 models?

I have the HR-20's and I can't complain. It took time adjusting coming from a vip622, but I'm liking the HR20's just fine now. :up

I know that. But then you have to hit a different button and then go through folders and select the show you were just watching to go back to the recorded show. Two buttons and several folders.

On the HR it is the same button hit once each time to go back and forth between the two shows.

Maybe I've been using Tivo for too long, but IMHO the reliability alone makes it better.

Grant the HR and R boxes have gotten better, but I had a R-15 when they were just pieces of crap.

I do like VOD on the HR series, but I'm sure the new DTIVO will be able to do the same things as the HR.

The HR is getting better, especially since they added DLBs, but Tivo is still the king of DVRs IMO.

Maybe I've been using Tivo for too long, but IMHO the reliability alone makes it better.

Grant the HR and R boxes have gotten better, but I had a R-15 when they were just pieces of crap.

I do like VOD on the HR series, but I'm sure the new DTIVO will be able to do the same things as the HR.

The HR is getting better, especially since they added DLBs, but Tivo is still the king of DVRs IMO.
I guess we will have to agree to disagree.

I will say this though, the HRs are no way perfect nor are they the best (at least from what I hear about the VIPs).

The HR's have dual live buffers now? When did that happen and how do I use them?

I'm really picky when it comes to DVRs.. I really like cutting edge features like being able to relibably enter a channel number on the first try. Oh and here's a cool feature i'd like too.. being able to move through the guide and not having to press a button multiple times because i'm not sure if it registered.. far out I know... just hope the technology is there.

I'm really picky when it comes to DVRs.. I really like cutting edge features like being able to relibably enter a channel number on the first try. Oh and here's a cool feature i'd like too.. being able to move through the guide and not having to press a button multiple times because i'm not sure if it registered.. far out I know... just hope the technology is there.

Agreed. They really need to get better at this.

My biggest complaint with my HR21-700 is the speed of the unit. It got a little faster after a while, but has definitely slowed down again with the lastest firmware. Their should never be this kind of lag with responses from the remote.

Other than that, the units have been really good. A few issues with audio at times, but reliable. Rarely have I had to reboot the unit to fix problems. Unlike those Motorola units used by Comcast.

Faster processor might not be needed. The cpu in the HR's is roughly equivalent to the one in the Tivo HD, which has a pretty zippy user interface.

I think the biggest performance issue with the HR's is that they try to do everything in real time where other products do a lot of their tasks during periods of low use. The whole architecture is built to be highly interactive. Thats certainly creates some appealing feature opportunities but it also presents plenty of opportunities for slow user interface issues and glitches when dealing with a piece of hardware thats a little bit out of spec.

I think the existing HR platform has plenty of promise to be very good, and in most implementations it works okay. I think some of the division in user experience comes from part of the user base having migrated from a directv non-dvr receiver to the dvr. They have the same UI and remote control, so all that changed for them was the ability to record. People migrating from other more mature DVR products to the HR have had a different experience. I know I certainly have.

The remote control IMO is terrible. The UI is slow. Some of the features are very unintuitive to use. The 50 series link limit is a huge problem. That I cant omit PPV and premium channels that I dont subscribe to in searches and autorecords is ridiculous. The MRV feature works great for me because I have a hardwired 100Mb/s network, but the full blast unencoded HD stream will simply be far too much for the average customers home networks. The box will delete programs that I've told it to save until I delete, which is stupid.

I think its good enough, especially for a customer who has never had a dvr. I think its fine for people migrating to a dvr from a prior directv product. Not sure its ever going to be as good as some of the competitors products from a performance and stability perspective.

When my contract expires 9 months from now, its going to be a hard decision on whether to keep the HR's or go back to a tivo hd.

I agree.

No video extraction on the HR's. D* is basically reinventing the fred flinstone stone wheel when all they had to do was quicken the HR10 up and stick in mpeg4 tuners and implement a superior tivo interface with networking and MRV and video extraction like exists on the new Tivo HD and they would have a goodyear eagle or pirelli. ANd we have been tesing this thing for 2 years!!!! MRV still isnt part of the national release is it? Its as if D* started this thing from absolutely scratch, zero 2 years ago, heck 2 years ago even the new kid on the block FIOS had a home media solution. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
I'd agree the HR isnt the best thing ever, but it get's the job done for me. I'm a fairly light user. Between me and my wife we have about 12 shows that we like to have on DVR.

A stable MVR release is all that I'm looking forward to. Any new DVR enhancements would just be a cherry on the top :)

I sold my HD Tivo and I have 1 SD Tivo left which is just hooked up to a receiver (tv went kaput) and is only used for transfering the SD content to our ipod/phone via the tivo desktop thing.

The only one I can use is the HR20-700 since I get my local channels over the air, and it's a piece of junk for pulling in stations over 30 miles away. I hooked up one of the new converter boxes to my Tivo in my guest room and I can get digital channels over 75 miles away. I get 2 channels with my HR20, I get all the channels with the Converter box hooked to the Tivo but you have to use it's remote to change the channels.

The only one I can use is the HR20-700 since I get my local channels over the air, and it's a piece of junk for pulling in stations over 30 miles away. I hooked up one of the new converter boxes to my Tivo in my guest room and I can get digital channels over 75 miles away. I get 2 channels with my HR20, I get all the channels with the Converter box hooked to the Tivo but you have to use it's remote to change the channels.
Wow, I can pull in channels from 80+ miles with both of my HR-20s.

What kind of antenna setup are you using?

Here is a photo of my antenna, It's 10 feet above the roof of my house. It's 8 feet long and has a rotator. It's pointed at the stations that I get easy and I can't even see the evening news right now.

[ame="http://www.flickr.com/photos/8418759@N07/3312313938/sizes/l/"]Flickr: Image[/ame]

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)