How Do You Fix Duplicated Channels Openbox X3

Status
Please reply by conversation.

jsattv

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jul 4, 2006
I have noticed a lot of duplicated Channels when Scanning in Channels on 97.0W, 99.0W and 95.0W on Both Ku and C Band. On my AzBox I could do an individual Scan for V and H Polarity preventing a lot of duplicated Channels. Does anyone know if there is a way to prevent the many duplicated Channels on Openbox X3? I guess a separate scan could be done for each V and H Polarity (by setting Polarity on my Uniden 9900 Receiver) when Blind Scannng on the X3 Rx but wouldn't this just result in even more duplicated channels?

How about the freq, polarity , and SR of your duplicate channels. What I suspect is that you have tp's pre-defined and then you blindscan, which finds the same tp's at a slightly different freq and SR . That causes the duplication. If you delete all your tp's before a blindscan, you should avoid this issue. Hope it's the problem you're seeing.

Rick has an automatic polarity controller available. gofastmotorsports.com/apc1.htm

That looks like it could be a fun project to build.

Wonder if anyone bought one that can pop the top so we can see inside? :)

google arduino polarotor and some interesting results should be had.
And there was a thread equant on the design and building of one. Was further improved by budfoot (Cannot find either)
He's got a webpage at Budfoot Files
At one time, there were a few of the same that Rick's selling on fleabay, all sold within a week.

Last edited:
How about the freq, polarity , and SR of your duplicate channels. What I suspect is that you have tp's pre-defined and then you blindscan, which finds the same tp's at a slightly different freq and SR . That causes the duplication. If you delete all your tp's before a blindscan, you should avoid this issue. Hope it's the problem you're seeing.

Brent636, the Openbox X3 had a latest software / firmware load with a North American List on it, but unless the Tp's have been added from previous Blind Scans that I did before I Deleted ALL Channels (to fix a chanel switching problem I had) there are a larger number of Tp's than seems normal on some Satellites: ie 97.0W shows 55 Tp'S and Galaxy 3C shows 75 TP's in my Satellite Tp Listings - this doesn't make much sense but maybe it is causing the Duplicated Channels??

Which dish and LNB(f) are you using, for those scans?

brentb636 is right. If you've ran blind scans you've most likely added duplicate TPs adding to the TPs programmed from the factory and previous blind scans. Usually what a blind scan does is scan and add the TPs then scan those TPs for the channels within each. Many of the TPs are wide channels, especially the ones with larger symbol rates, 22000, 30000 etc, and blind scans will often pick a random frequency within a given channel instead of the center of the channel.

Some receivers will see channels are already added (even if the TP is different) and not add duplicate channels, but some will. So, delete all the channels AND TPs for the satellite(s) you're having issues with and do a new blind scan.

I wish receivers would have a sort function for the TP list, this would really help in keeping things clean, none of the receivers I've used have it.

Another issue is LNBs sometimes aren't exactly on frequency, so the actual center frequency of the TP in a given system/LNB will be different from the official frequency. A good way to find the offset is to change the frequency in 1mHz steps up and down till you lose the channel lock in each direction, then calculate the center of the range and use as the TP frequency. Also use that same + or - offset from the official frequency on each TP if you're entering or editing them manually.

Thanks for the helpful comments Guys, yes it does make sense that likely the 2 Blindscans created all the extra Tp's. This used to happen all the time with Blindscans on my old Viewsat Receiver. Actually from looking over the Single Satellte Search Options on the Openbox X3 - there are 2 more Search Options available besides Blind Scan, they are: Preset Scan, & Accurate Scan, wonder what they would do?? Have to say that the Openbox X3's Blindscan is super fast as compared to my AzBox Premium Plus which is really slow.

Thanks Fat Air for the info on the Automatic Polarity Controller from Ricks (I purchased my AzBox RX from Ricks), I'll check it out, wonder if it will work with my V Box III setup? If it did I wouldn't have to use my bulky Uniden 9900 Receiver with its outboard Power Supply any longer for my Skew & V & H Polarity Control.

Last edited:
Preset scan, scans the transponders already in memory, either from manual input or a previous blindscan. Accurate scan goes slower sometimes catching stuff missed on a regular blind scan. Not real sure what the accurate scan is doing, if it is a more detailed scan like some receivers or if it just gives more time for some S2 stuff. I know on my s10 a blind scan will not always get Montana PBS, but accurate will. I do know if I'm on 125 and just flipping through transponders in the menu they "pop in" on quality pretty quick but when I get to where Montana is, it shows no signal for a couple seconds then it will snap in.

the lower the symbol rate the longer it takes for a channel to "pop in" on the openbox.
montana has an sr of 2398

Just wondering, rather than having to do a tedious Editing of Channels on my 2 Sats with a lot of extra Channels & Transponders from the 2 previous Blindscans, would it be cleaner & faster just to Delete Satellite(s) and then use the Openbox X3's "Accurate Scan" to rescan in 97.0W and 99.0W after adding them in again as New Satellites?

If you can delete the tp list for each sat, then re-scan, that would be the solution, I think. :)

Brentb636, yeah that would be great, but all I can find so far is Edit Channels, Delete ALL Channels, Delete Satellite, and Edit & Delete Individual Tp's. But I'll keep looking.

I don't think you will find a delete all transponders feature. Makes it aggregating sometimes, but I have gotten pretty quick at clearing a list real fast without deleting the whole sat.

Brentb636, yeah that would be great, but all I can find so far is Edit Channels, Delete ALL Channels, Delete Satellite, and Edit & Delete Individual Tp's. But I'll keep looking.
On my Solomend 800, I delete them one at a time. Another option would be to have a "clean" channel file ( 1 tp per satellite), if only you had a channel editor to work with. Then you could simply reload the "clean" file when needed, and your tp's would be cleaned out. :)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)