How do you receive your locals and are they analog or digital?

OTA question . I only have 2 stations in my DMA . WTRF 32 or 7.1 as it shows up on my tv - low power 4.5, less than10 miles away , but I Can't Get A Signal . WTOV dt 57 or 9-1 and 9-2 ,I was Getting it in the 90's , but in the last week nothing ! I pick up 25 or KDKA 2.1, 48 or WPXI 11.1,43 or WPGH 53.1, and WTOV dt 35 , all at 85+ or 90 +. I Get 42 or22.1 , 51 0r WTAE 4.1 off and on during the day almost every night using my old Voom box . If i go back to Dish can i get Pittsburg Dma Channels ?

locals I have 4 choices

This Is what I get

3. Use DN HD receiver to get digital/analog locals using my OTA antenna. (811 and a 921)
4. Get analog locals only from my OTA antenna BUT without DN equipment. ( one analog tv in garage)
5. Get digital(HD)/analog locals from my OTA antenna BUT without DN equipment. (voom box)
6. Get SD locals from cable TV . (bedroom anlog cable 2-13 free with high speed cable internet).

I use a Dish 811 for my HD-ready Toshiba 34HF81 in the bedroom (so, #3); I have a Mitsubishi WS-55613 HDTV down in the family room (#5) that has a DVR 942 attached (back to #3). So, I picked #3.

dodge said:
This Is what I get

3. Use DN HD receiver to get digital/analog locals using my OTA antenna. (811 and a 921)
4. Get analog locals only from my OTA antenna BUT without DN equipment. ( one analog tv in garage)
5. Get digital(HD)/analog locals from my OTA antenna BUT without DN equipment. (voom box)
6. Get SD locals from cable TV . (bedroom anlog cable 2-13 free with high speed cable internet).
Pick #3 because you have at least 1 DN receiver for getting digital locals. Although you use other methods for reception the objective is whether or not you get digital TV and have a DN HD receiver as top priority.

oldmarine6768 said:
OTA question . If i go back to Dish can i get Pittsburg Dma Channels ?
DN does offer the main analog only feeds for Pittsburg. If you choose a DN HD receiver you can receive digital (SD/HD) stations in the same way as you are now getting it with your Voom box.
If you're unhappy with your present reception the answer is most likey your antenna.
Do you have a outdoor or indoor antenna? If outdoor maybe you need a preamp to reduce dropouts and lost channels.

Well, I'm pretty sure mine would be multiple choices, since:
- I get NY, LA & Denver distant nets on E* (+ all supers)
- I get ALL Chicago locals on D*, plus all 4 NY HD nets
- I get my "real" locals on cable

I think I'm pretty much fixed for networks now. :D :D

dishrich said:
Well, I'm pretty sure mine would be multiple choices, since:
- I get NY, LA & Denver distant nets on E* (+ all supers)
- I get ALL Chicago locals on D*, plus all 4 NY HD nets
- I get my "real" locals on cable

I think I'm pretty much fixed for networks now. :D :D
I imagine that #6 or #7 (depending if HD or not) would be best choice because you stated "I get my 'real' locals on cable" and there was no mention of an antenna. Distant locals don't count unless that's all you have.

I receive locals from DN (Burlington, VT/Plattsburgh, NY DMA). I also get our local UPN station WGMU (not on DN) and most all Montreal channels with decent reception OTA, just an amplified indoor antenna. Gotta love The Red Green Show weekdays at 12:30 on CBMT ch. 6. Some people around here (Milton, VT) can get channels from Ottawa, ON, too with a big roof top.

Is option #2 even possible? AFAIK, there are no E* receivers with built-in analog OTA tuners (why would there be, since almost every TV set already has this capability?).

Brad

The 921 has analog OTA tuning, and the 942 is supposed to be getting that ability via software upgrade right now.

But I think you meant to say there are no E* non-HD receivers with built-in OTA tuners, and I agree (AFAIK also...). :)

I was wondering the same thing. The closest thing to it that I know of is putting one of the dual-tuner dual-output SD receivers in "TV" mode (via the "TV/Video" button) on the TV1 output. It just bypasses the receiver completely though, and the antenna connection going into the receiver is sent untouched on through to the TV.

Bradtothebone said:
Is option #2 even possible? AFAIK, there are no E* receivers with built-in analog OTA tuners (why would there be, since almost every TV set already has this capability?).

Brad
TuxCoder said:
But I think you meant to say there are no E* non-HD receivers with built-in OTA tuners, and I agree (AFAIK also...). :)

Model 5000, 522 and 625 have analog only tuners. However the DVR can't record OTA. There might be other models but not sure. The model 5000 displays guide info for channels indentified as ABC, CBS and NBC during primetime hours only.

jergenf said:
According to the product brochure it has an "OTA antenna/cable" input on the TV1 section. But only TV1 can view (not record analog) OTA which is the same case as the 942.
TuxCoder said:
... putting one of the dual-tuner dual-output SD receivers (such as 522, 625, and 322) in "TV" mode (via the "TV/Video" button) on the TV1 output. It just bypasses the receiver completely though, and the antenna connection going into the receiver is sent untouched on through to the TV.
So yes, as you mention it has that input connection, but as I had already mentioned, it is only used in a passthrough mode. No tuner in the receiver for that input.

TuxCoder said:
So yes, as you mention it has that input connection, but as I had already mentioned, it is only used in a passthrough mode. No tuner in the receiver for that input.
You're saying the analog channels are not mapped into your guide. If you only connect the s-video (plus audio) from the 522 to your monitor and then toggle the "TV/Video" button do you see OTA while in monitor mode? Or must you also change your TV input to tuner instead of video1 to view OTA?
Also what about TV2 can it get OTA?

Argh... :)

I know specifically what I'm saying here. :) Your assumptions are correct, the analog channels are not mapped in my guide, only the LIL from Dish Network. They also cannot be set to map, through any menu option like on the 921. OTA/cable stuff does not come through any of the audio/video outputs including S-Video and composite. The only way* to see the OTA/cable stuff from the line going into the 522's antenna connection is to press the TV/Video button on the remote, and that button only affects the TV1 RF output. The other outputs continue showing what the receiver is doing.

*I can't remember if turning the receiver "off" (well ok, in standby) also puts TV1's RF out in passthrough or not. As you know, just about every modulating device out there goes to passthrough when you power off, but I think the 522 shows the "press OK" screensaver on the RF output. Of course, regardless of all this discussion it always** shows the screensaver out all non-RF A/V outputs.

**except when the software screws something up as mine does on occasion.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts