How do your local stations handle weather advisories during HD broadcasts?

PhilAce

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jan 30, 2007
Columbia, MO
I'm watching LOST on my local ABC and they switch from HD to SD when they show a weather advisory. It's really annoying. What happens with yours?

Same here on CBS and we lose 5.1 for 2.0. They take great pride in running these warnings for hours on end. I don't watch too much of ABC or NBC so no comment on these.

Most stations are not HD

The thing is that most TV stations do not have the equipment to run HD. They are still setup to run SD for the local things such as News & weather. If that is what you see on your station then weather or news cut ins will have to be SD.

KCBS DT, Los Angeles aired the relatively new (some 5 years old, I think) EBS message and alert a few times during the heavy rains and snows here. The video was still HD.

It was heaven for 2 years, the local ABC didn't have the ability to overlay HD. They run bottom banners and little news vans through every show with Action News blurbs, even over subtitles during Lost. For 2 years the HD broadcast was clean, but now, they can ruin HD too. Every stinkin' show all the locals do it. I'm watching shows from before Christmas with stupid news info on shopping.

When it reaches a boiling point we'll just rent the HD season discs and miss all of the BS. The DVR has us programmed to never watch live TV, so what if wait even longer, network TV is getting annoying.

Local NBC is hd. They just roll up there sleeves and start giving the weather.:)

Here in Tulsa all the station now can overlay the warnings and maps within the HD signal, however, at commericals when they switch to the studio it reverts back to SD.

Sorry TulsaCoker but only KJRH and KOTV can overlay on the HD signal in Tulsa, hence the reason Fox23 dropped to SD during the BCS title game for the weather warnings and running their apology saying the FCC is forcing them to show the weather warnings and they can't do that with HD channel. Even now sometimes those 2 will switch to SD because of problems with equipment,

St. Louis stations all drop to SD for overlay messages. 2 of the stations broadcast the Local news in HD too so you would think they would have the graphic overlays! We just just had some significant snow up here so I won't be seeing HD for about 2 days. :(

I'm watching LOST on my local ABC and they switch from HD to SD when they show a weather advisory. It's really annoying. What happens with yours?

PhilAce,

Yes, I dread a bad weather day as the all the local channels drop back to SD so they can overlay their SD graphics with crawls. This happens during Election returns as well, all because the Locals refuse to upgrade their local studios to pump out HD.

John

All my locals run weather warnings over the SD feed but, WNDU NBC gets the grand prize.

They run a crawl across the bottom with blue bars up both sides. Now if does anything more than rain they totally cut away from the program and let you watch there Doppler image while some dude tells me to stay indoors. This is point where I leave my TV which is on the front lawn and head for cover.

Luckily they also stretch there SD to 15:9 to make it extra enjoyable.

Our stations switch to SD for when the weather maps are in the corner. That is with the exception of one station (CBS) which I can't pick up with an antenna anyways.

WSPA-DT in Spartanburg, SC does local HD news and morning talk show and does the crawl in HD mode, the other stations in this market do an SD switchover.

Paducah, KY locals all switch to SD Mode. I think they should stay with the HD feed. Its annoying when they switch between hd and sd many times over 10 mins.

Same in Memphis. Our CBS station takes it one step further. About 9:56 PM they kill HD so the news department can run their "teaser". The 9PM broadcast has not hit the credits yet and we loose HD. Same with local station breaks. One day we went with only the rear channels of the 5.1 for 5 minutes with "The Unit". They just don't seem to have a clue. Our NBC station just upgraded and can leave everything (the 5.1 Dolby) running at the local breaks even though they don't appear to do any local HD.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts