How does Comcast Compare to Satellite ?

dishfan82

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Lifetime Supporter
Feb 18, 2012
clinton Township
I've had dish since March of this year and although I am happy with them... they have channels that Comcast has that I don't have with them now such as PBS HD, PBS kids Sprout, ESPN U HD. I still have another 22 months to go until my contract with Dish ends. My main question is how does their HD quality compare to them? Also will they have a new DVR out by then similar to the Hopper? Their current DVR out now is pretty outdated. I heard they were going to get an all in one DVR soon.

Depending on if you live in a motorola or scientific atlanta market you may already have the anyroom dvr available to you. But to answer your question honestly, comcasts dvrs in anymarket do not compare to the features or quality of dvrs from either satellite company. What the future holds, who knows.

I've had dish since March of this year and although I am happy with them... they have channels that Comcast has that I don't have with them now such as PBS HD, PBS kids Sprout, ESPN U HD. I still have another 22 months to go until my contract with Dish ends. My main question is how does their HD quality compare to them? Also will they have a new DVR out by then similar to the Hopper? Their current DVR out now is pretty outdated. I heard they were going to get an all in one DVR soon.

One place Comcast (and most cable) beats satellite hands down, is On-Demand. They have so much more to offer, it is simply amazing. AND it's easily accessible.

And HD quality is comparable. Who knows what will happen with their receivers..you have almost 2 years to see....

While each comcast area can differ in price, In our area each HDDVR is 17.95 including the first one. That's one diffrence between comcast and the satellite companies in my area and the HD quality does not match from what I see, though as I mentioned it can very from state to state

Comparing Comcast's DVRs to a satellite providers DVRs isn't straight forward. With Comcast a just a standard digital box you have access to thousands of on demand videos including much if not all prime time programming. If you subscribe to the pay channels you also have access to their libraries of movies and specials. You can start a movie you want to watch when you want to watch it. With a cable company DVR you can build up a library of shows that you want to watch over, do short time shifts of programs, i.e. you want to watch a football came starting at 7 PM and you don't get home until 8 PM as well as being able to pause live programming.

Some DVR features are available on standard cable boxes when you are playing back VOD. To me it would not be worth $17.95 for the Comcast DVR as their standard box with access to thousands of VOD shows would be enough. If I had to have a DVR I would look at getting a TIVO.

Its hard to compare Cable Company X vs sat company Y. Cable company quality is very regional, much like cell phone companies.

Here in Orlando the local cable company blows away the offerings of Dish and Directv. But say in Birmingham this same cable company is limited in its HD offerings compared to dish. So you really have to compare your local cable company to see how they stack up.

Best bet is to order Comcast. You can in most cases cancel within 30 days if you do not like the service and not pay anything. Try it and if you like it keep it. If you dont get the dish.

With cable if you have a contract, they don't go raising prices on you like satellite does. (Once your deal is over with comcast, regular prices start.) The contract doesn't benefit you, only the sat CO.

With cable if you have a contract, they don't go raising prices on you like satellite does.
If you're looking for a long-term partner, Comcast is widely known for having as many or more price increases as any cable or satellite company. They also offer promotional contracts that DO NOT involve any manner of price freeze so you must do your due diligence.

As the OP has a long time left on their commitment, now is simply not the time to be looking around.

If you're looking for a long-term partner, Comcast is widely known for having as many or more price increases as any cable or satellite company. They also offer promotional contracts that DO NOT involve any manner of price freeze so you must do your due diligence.

As the OP has a long time left on their commitment, now is simply not the time to be looking around.

Oh so they have caught the crooked satellite contract disease too then.

With cable if you have a contract, they don't go raising prices on you like satellite does. (Once your deal is over with comcast, regular prices start.) The contract doesn't benefit you, only the sat CO.
wrong...they nickle and dime you more than satellite.

Using Comcast as your example so lets say you do their 99.99 "triple play" bundle for 2 years. After 12 months it goes to 119.99.
that "free hd dvr" is only for 6 months then goes to 17.95 for the rest of the promo.

so months 1-6 its 99.99
7-12 its 117.94
13-24 its 137.94

sure they dont raise prices ;)

Yeah, your right. Comcast wants 16.95 for a dvr! I was almost going to go back to cable, but keeping dish is slightly cheaper. Comcast doesn't have the DIRT team either, thumbs up for dirt!:up

and here in Mpls someone posted over at AVS that Comcast sent out their yearly increase info.

I get lifeline for free at the apartment complex (everything above requires a box) so I guess I dont have ot worry...for now ;)

Attachments

• 2vlwkfd.jpg
    2vlwkfd.jpg
    139.4 KB · Views: 267
I get lifeline for free at the apartment complex (everything above requires a box) so I guess I dont have ot worry...for now ;)
The boxes are coming. I had lifeline but they converted to clear QAM a month or so ago with an offer of up to three "free" boxes (or "digital terminals" as they like to call them).

eh if they do I'll just unhook it. I only use it in the bedroom so I dont need to put the antenna in the walk in closet (and keep running into it)

If they pull the plug I'll pull that plug and hook up the antenna again. I get everything OTA that is on QAM (for the locals) and WGN, TBS & CNN I get on D* :)

In my opinion the only area where Cable beats Satellite is in the On Demand war. Cable's On Demand blows Satellite's On Demand away. Other than that, it's either a wash, both companies are the same. Or, it's hands down Satellite over Cable. Such as technology and in some locations, price. Remember, I'm saying Satellite (Dish and Directv collectively). Not just one Satellite company.

In 2003 my Comcast bill was around $113.00 per month. I had the digital package, and internet. They kept raising the price. Last year it was almost $144.00. I decided to get satellite. The only thing I really miss about Comcast is the On Demand feature. What I don't like about satellite is losing service when it storms.

DVR service you can always go with a Tivo and a cable card. Cable cards are free and Tivo service costs less in most markets than what Comcast charges you to rent their POS box.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts