How does Dish internet work?

debmyrick

Original poster
Jun 23, 2007
I just called Dish to find out the details about adding internet to my account, and was told: Since it is not available in my area, they can't send me to someone to answer my questions.

Ok. From reading in the forum, I realize that it would be available from different "contractors" in different areas. So here are my questions (assuming that someday it is available in Virginia Beach, VA):

1. Does it need a separate satellite dish?
2. Can I install it myself, since I set up the dish for the Hopper?
3. I assume it takes a separate receiver?
4. If I subscribe to it, and take off somewhere in the RV, can I take it with me?
5. Does the speed really suck during the day?

Thanks, I guess that covers it!
Deb

If you have access to another internet provider except for dial up, DishNet is not worth it. It costs roughly the same as most other providers (sometimes higher) but with very low caps which incurs additional fees when you go over them which is a common occurance. In a lot of areas you would be set up with Hughes Net, I don't recall the other provider Dish uses most of the time. It would be another dish which usually connects to your modem/router (not another receiver).

No it can't be self installed because it is a 2 way communication and is FCC regulated. Viasat I think is the other provider Garys couldn't think of.

For mobile operation a Hotspot from A cell phone provider would be better and possibly cheaper unless you are really in the sticks.

If you have ANY other options (Cable, Wireless 3G, etc) , avoid Satellite Internet!

1. It does need a separate satellite dish.
2. You cannot self-install.
3. It needs a Sat Internet modem (not really comparable to a Sat Recvr).
4. You can't take it with you.
5. The speed really sucks during prime-time, at least.

A 3G (or 4G) solution works much better than this; look at the Verizon MiFi as an example.

I just called Dish to find out the details about adding internet to my account, and was told: Since it is not available in my area, they can't send me to someone to answer my questions.

Ok. From reading in the forum, I realize that it would be available from different "contractors" in different areas. So here are my questions (assuming that someday it is available in Virginia Beach, VA):

1. Does it need a separate satellite dish?
2. Can I install it myself, since I set up the dish for the Hopper?
3. I assume it takes a separate receiver?
4. If I subscribe to it, and take off somewhere in the RV, can I take it with me?
5. Does the speed really suck during the day?

Thanks, I guess that covers it!
Deb

1: yes.
2: no
3: yes, it is called a modem.
4: no
5: dependson service level....

If you have ANY other options (Cable, Wireless 3G, etc) , avoid Satellite Internet!

1. It does need a separate satellite dish.
2. You cannot self-install.
3. It needs a Sat Internet modem (not really comparable to a Sat Recvr).
4. You can't take it with you.
5. The speed really sucks during prime-time, at least.

A 3G (or 4G) solution works much better than this; look at the Verizon MiFi as an example.

I should scroll down before I post my thoughts.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)