How does Dish Network decide which channels are on which Satellite?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

knickspree

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Sep 14, 2010
Alaska
I live in remote Alaska, and can only get Dish Network, and only hit Satellite 119. I was a big redzone fan til recently at the start of this month they moved Redzone from 119 to 110. Now I can't get it. Why would they do this? How could they take away my favorite channel away from me?

What goes into the decision to move channels from one satellite to other? How can I convince Dish Network to move NFL Redzone back to Satellite 119, so I can get it?

Is there a way that Dish Network could drop that worthless MLB Strikezone (that no one watches), move it to 110 and bring back NFL Redzone to 119?

Although I don't know the answer to this, but it is a damn good question!

My guess is the package the channel is flagged to and the bandwidth available on the satellite, I know that most Channels that are in both SD & HD are on 110.

Subscribers in Puerto Rico have the same question. While a long shot get ahold of a DIRT member and ask them to look onto it. I would not be surprised it was never considered if that change was made. But I do have a question, is it you who can't get 110 or anyone where you are...

Anyone where I am....how hard would it be tho to just put NFL Redzone back on 119?...makes no sense why they switched it all of a sudden...

In that case you need to do what I said. I know it sounds like a long shot but if no one who can make the decision ever even knows there is a problem it won't get fixed.

I've already been contacting Dish Network about moving NFL Redzone back to 119 so everyone can watch it. I've gotten no response yet, but I'll keep at it and see what happens.

I thought it was done to even out transponder load. Don't they, D* and E*, put one or two high motion channels (ESPN) along with three or more channels that don't have as much movement (CNN) on the same transponder?

The transponders are loaded based on what the normal content will be on the channel. Sports channels use a lot more bandwidth since there is a lot of fast moving objects, so you dont want a bunch of sports channels on the same transponder as DISH's MPEG4 encoders adjusts compression on the fly based on the action on the screen and what is happening on other channels on the same transponder. This gives channels extra bandwith when they need it while lowering it on channels which are showing a scene with no a lot of action in it, such as a talking head reading the news.

How could they take away my favorite channel away from me?
How can I convince Dish Network to move NFL Redzone back to Satellite 119, so I can get it?
Just curious, but when you read those parts, what does it sound like to you ?
Is there a way that Dish Network could drop that worthless MLB Strikezone (that no one watches), move it to 110 and bring back NFL Redzone to 119?
The reality could be that "no one" in Alaska, besides you and a handful of others, watch NFL Redzone, and this is a move that Dish feels is worth the potential "loss". Rest assured, Dish knows exactly who watches each channel.

The transponders are loaded based on what the normal content will be on the channel. Sports channels use a lot more bandwidth since there is a lot of fast moving objects, so you dont want a bunch of sports channels on the same transponder as DISH's MPEG4 encoders adjusts compression on the fly based on the action on the screen and what is happening on other channels on the same transponder. This gives channels extra bandwith when they need it while lowering it on channels which are showing a scene with no a lot of action in it, such as a talking head reading the news.

That makes sense, since now I don't have NFL Redzone, but I have Glenn Beck's new news channel "Blaze," and suddenly I have the PAC-12 channel, both of witch I don't care for.

NFL RedZone is out of Free Preview (Its part of the $9 multiSports pack.) and Blaze and Pac-12 are in free Preview after the preview they will be available in the AT-250 pack.

NFL RedZone is out of Free Preview (Its part of the $9 multiSports pack.) and Blaze and Pac-12 are in free Preview after the preview they will be available in the AT-250 pack.

Aloha Scott:

If I read your post correctly, PAC12 will be part of AT250 no matter where you are.

The DISH advertising statement claims that it's in AT120 and above if your location is within the PAC12 "footprint".

I have AT250 and DISH rep told me yesterday that I need to buy multi-sport (which I did) since I'm not in a state that has a PAC12 team. I've had conflicting info from various reps before so I'm still trying to sort all this out.

Hopefully I get this right.

Those who live in a PAC 12 area will get PAC 12 if they have AT-120. All others who are not in a Pac 12 area will need to get the MultiSports package to view Pac 12.

Hope that helps!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)