How does Dish treats deflectors when they come back??

Chop-Chop

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
May 10, 2005
How does Dish treats defectors when they come back??

I am thinking about leaving Dish for Comcast to take advantage of their Dish promo. I would be paying about the same for 1 to 1.5 years with an HD-DVR (no voom yet off course). What happens If I decide to go back to Dish in 12 or 18 months. Is Dish going to treat me as a new sub? What is the policy? I know D* will qualify me as new since I have never been with them

Chop-Chop said:
I am thinking about leaving Dish for Comcast to take advantage of their Dish promo. I would be paying about the same for 1 to 1.5 years with an HD-DVR (no voom yet off course). What happens If I decide to go back to Dish in 12 or 18 months. Is Dish going to treat me as a new sub? What is the policy? I know D* will qualify me as new since I have never been with them

LOL

To be honest, if you left Dish and try to come back... they will not qualify you for any new promotions. i've heard that is about to change. Soon they'll let past "defected" customers in under DHA. No word on the details, only that they're hammering them out.

bcshields said:
LOL

To be honest, if you left Dish and try to come back... they will not qualify you for any new promotions.
Not actually correct. They let previous custosmers come back under the DHA plan. I do believe there are some qualifiers as to how long you were a customer, and how long you were gone, though.

When I went back to Dish last year, they offered me that. I chose to go the Free Dish route as a new sub under my wife's name instead.

However, if chop-chop lives in an SBC area, they let previous Dish "deflectors" sign up as new subs after 6 months of being away. That is my plan for when the SBC 2Wire MediaPortal is released.

This is an email I got from Dish Network when I wanted to go back:

"Thank you for your e-mail. At this time we do have one promotion for our former customers. In order to qualify for this promotion you:

1. Must be disconnected for 3 months or more.

2. Voluntary disconnect only. Account cannot have been closed due to non-payment.

3. Zero dollar balance (or credit) on account when disconnected.

4. You must have had DISH Network service for at least 6 consecutive months before disconnecting.

5. You must not have any DISH Network equipment in your possession."

This was back early December of last year.

deflectors :)

Those seem pretty resonable. Although...
1. Must be disconnected for 3 months or more.
This one is funny to me. "For the past 3 months, or even longer than that, you must not have been giving us money, in order to qualify." I'm sure it makes sense from some perspective or another. :)

and...
5. You must not have any DISH Network equipment in your possession.
I wonder if this just means leased equipment that was never returned, or could it literally mean any equipment, as it is worded (so including equipment you've purchased)?

I think it means, any receiver that you purchased and activated in the past. You will need to lease their receivers in order to qualify.

I ended up ordering through SBC and I told them that I had an old 2700 receiver that I wanted to add, I needed 5 receivers. The order was cancelled with no explanations. Not even the SBC CSR knew what happened.

I called back and placed the order again and told them that I was gonna buy a new 311 receiver and the order went through.

Hmm, then from the phrasing "in your possession", we may conclude that you could "sell" or "give" your 2700 to a friend, place your Dish Network order, then your friend could decide he no longer wants a 2700 and gives or sells it back to you. I doubt they would prevent you from adding a "newly acquired" receiver to your account after you've been signed up...

And feel free to simplify the above by factoring out unnecessary actions and participants. :D

I was told via the online chat that I could come back as a "new customer" after being gone for 18 months.

Maybe it was because they couldn't find my phone number in their system. But I didn't have any billing problems when I left.

However, I'm really considering signing up via SBC. It depends on what additional information comes out about their upcoming media portal STB.

TuxCoder said:
Hmm, then from the phrasing "in your possession", we may conclude that you could "sell" or "give" your 2700 to a friend, place your Dish Network order, then your friend could decide he no longer wants a 2700 and gives or sells it back to you. I doubt they would prevent you from adding a "newly acquired" receiver to your account after you've been signed up...

And feel free to simplify the above by factoring out unnecessary actions and participants. :D

I called back to release the receiver from my account so I could sell it and sure enough the 2700 was still registered under my old account (Dish acct.) so I don't know if they would have activated the receiver under the new acct.

But you are right, it's just a dumb requirement that can be circumvented easily.

Gee Guys,

Thanks for the warm welcome :D . Anyways one always learns new words every day specially when English is a second language. I fixed the title. Ohh and BTW reason I am "deflecting" :haha is because they don't want to lease me an 811.

vurbano said:
I dont know. Havent seen any deflectors go back to dish. What exactly are they deflecting anyway?

No no, it's the deflector dish, it helps absorb disruptor fire and plasma torpedoes to keep it from damaging the starship....

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts