How does Dish uplink locals?

ClarkGable

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
May 23, 2010
NW Ohio
Sorry if this has been asked, but I couldn't find the answer.

How does Dish get locals from the TV station to their uplink center? I never really thought about it before, but since getting HD I noticed that our CBS affiliate drops out occasionally. We've had a hiccup or two when recording the CBS HD local on our 722k. We didn't have problems with the same station on a 625 in standard def. We also had the yellow screen on our CBS HD local on one occasion when weather should not have been a factor. Granted, the HD locals are on 129 and the SD are on 110, but signals are good for both satellites.

So how does Dish get their locals?

Some channels are received off air and then transmitted back to DISH via fiber, while other channels are sent directly from the station via fiber to DISH.

In my market, Dish leased a space downtown on a tower. They put multiple facing directional antenna's on it and receive them off the air, then fiber back to uplink.

Direct is launching here in August. They paid to co-locate at the CBS/ABC affiliate. They will get those two feeds directly (no pun intended) and receive the others via an antenna on the CBC/ABC tower, then fiber back to the uplink.

There are at least six that I can recall:

• Cheyenne, WY
  • Gilbert, AZ
  • Monee, IL
  • Mt. Jackson, VA
  • New Braunfels, TX
  • Spokane, WA

The best links are of course deals where they get a fiber feed directly from the station. The OTA ones have weather problems just like it was on your roof. The OTA method of course would be a lot less expensive than running fiber out to the station offices.

So, are my Mobile/Pensacola locals sent by fiber to Texas or are they uplinked from the Mobile/Pensacola area.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)