HOW Does Sling Sling?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

TechWriter

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Nov 8, 2008
When data is xferred from a Hopper to another device using Sling, does the data go "direct" to the device like how Apple Airplay works? or does data first go to the "Cloud" (via broadband) and then to the device?

Nope it just goes to the device.

The Hopper with Sling encodes the video in a format which is playable on the iPad, then once the user is ready to transfer videos from the Hopper to their iPad they use the Sling Transfer program which connects to your Hopper over the your internal network and copies to files to the iPad.

Nope it just goes to the device.

The Hopper with Sling encodes the video in a format which is playable on the iPad, then once the user is ready to transfer videos from the Hopper to their iPad they use the Sling Transfer program which connects to your Hopper over the your internal network and copies to files to the iPad.
Super! Is WiFi the key?

I think Scott is confusing the issue by convolving the Sling streaming function with the Hopper Transfer app. I don't believe there is any such thing as a "Sling Transfer" program. But I sure wish there were!

For straightforward streaming from the Hopper w/Sling to your PC or mobile device, various handshakes and validation occurs between the Hopper, Dish servers, and the sling client whatever it is. Eventually the connection is made and the audio/video sling data stream starts up. The data stream goes direct from Hopper to a local device over your local LAN. If you are somewhere other than where the Hopper is, then that's where the stream goes; over the Internet. It does not go up to Dish servers and back down to where you are.

If the Hopper or local device are only connected via wifi, then that's how it goes. I would not call wifi a "key". In fact, if you can avoid wifi, it's better because you don't want anything (such as a microwave oven) delaying or dropping those packets.

Now as far as the Hopper Transfer app is concerned, that requires your cooperation on the Hopper to transcode the program for iPad playback. I believe that may have to go over wifi if the iPad is connected via wifi. But I have neither a Hopper w/Sling nor an iPad, so I can't say for sure how this works. But the end result is the transcoded program sits on your iPad and you can take it and view it later, via the iPad, anywhere, even disconnected from any network.

From my tests showed the video stayed on your local network, it only went to the cloud for authentication and to download the player. :)

If one is using a device to connect to the HWS and watch a show, and both devices are on the same network, does it still go to the cloud? Say if you are watching on your phone or computer at home.

No. I think it may go to the cloud for the initialization, but I'm not sure of that. I am however 100% sure that the actual stream once started runs via your local network. I have confirmed this by unplugging my external connection from my router while streaming and it continues to work.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)