How does the Dvr 622 and Dvr 625 compare???

randym431

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
May 29, 2004
How does the Dvr 622 and Dvr 625 compare???

I know one is HD and one SD, but are the menu looks, menu speed about the same?

I've been trying to figure my best options to have two "dual tuner" dvr's for two tv's, as a new customer. As a bailing D* customer, dual tuners IS A MUST on both tv's.

If I go with the 622 dvr for the one HDtv, using it in single mode (pip), and the 625dvr for the other HDtv (also in single mode), I basically will have two "dual tuner" dvr receivers. Even though I will only have SD on the second tv, at least it will be a dual tuner dvr. (I can play with the wiring and "modes" from the 622 to get HD from the 622 to the second tv).

Soooo, in dishbuilder, what do I need to do to tell it I need one 622 and one 625??? Or can I???

Also, I talked to a rep at dish. I got them more confused then I am in getting what I want to do. But, I was under the impression the 622 had "three" tuners, one for satellite HD, one for satellite SD and one for OTA HD. But I guess thats NOT how it works. She said one 622 tuner gets both (intergrates) OTA and sat HD, while the 622 second tuner only pulls in satellite SD.
So if your recording a OTA HD program on the 622 in single mode, and "swap" to watch something else on the 622 second tuner, it will be coming in at SD. Does that sound right???

And, if I have the HD package, does that 622 SD quality second tuner also get all the HD channels (just downconverted)??? I was not clear on that after talking to the rep.

But my main question is the diff between the two dvr's (622 & 625) in the menu look, feel and speed. The 625 isnt an older slower dvr I hope??? (menu/screens)

(I feel like after all these questions I'll know every transistor in the boxes by name)

This is what dish builder shows me when I chose two SD tv's and two HD tv's and stating I want to pause/record tv also on both. Am I doing something wrong? Does it look like I am also getting a non-dvr HD receiver in these fee's? (that I dont want)

Estimated One Time Charges
DHA Activation Fee $49.99
HD-DVR receiver $199.99
One Time Charge Total: $249.98
Estimated Monthly Charges
DishHD Platinum $99.99
Local Channels $5.00
Extra Receiver Fee: $11.00
Monthly Total: $115.99

The DVR 625 is 2 tuner SD receiver, the DVR622 is a 2 satellite tuner+1 ATSC OTA HD receiver. To output HD to 2 TVs you would need 2 HD receivers. You could run 1 622 in the single mode as you wish and have the ability to watch record up to 3 sources at a time. You could run a second 622 in the dual mode and output HD to 1 TV and route the other output to all the TVs in your house through your existing antenna cabling in SD, taking the RF remotes to the particular TV you were on

randym431 said:
And, if I have the HD package, does that 622 SD quality second tuner also get all the HD channels (just downconverted)??? I was not clear on that after talking to the rep.
I seem to have misplaced my posting schedule, so I apologize if Saturday is not my turn to clear up this frequent misconception.

All 3 tuners of the 622 are capable of recording HD, and can do so simultaneously assuming you have an OTA antenna connected.

Anything recorded in HD will be downconverted for viewing over the TV2 output.

HD recordings, including those from tuner 2, will be viewed at HD (or whatever resolution you have selected) over the TV1 HDMI or component output.

I dont think the reps know whats what. They insisted the 622 had one HD tuner and one SD tuner. And the OTA intergrated into the one HD tuner. Ota channels 1-13 or whatever were going thru HD tuner #1. Then when you keep changing channels and get up to the satellite channels, the tuner # 1 switches from the Ota sig to sat sig input. Intergrated.
Where as the second tuner #2 "will" get the HD channels, but they will only be at SD quality. I hope you are right and they are wrong.

One rep even told me the 211 was 2 tuner dvr. Later, looking on the site its clear the 211 IS NOT a dvr. Its impossible to get the correct info. I guess you just have to get one and see for yourself?

Last edited:
The 625 and 622 are almost identical in operation with the xception of the HD thing. Which is a big exception. If ya got the cash opt for getting both tv's a 622. You will have to outright buy the second one.. But since you have two HDTV's and want PIP on both this is the best way to go.

Yes, the simple way to see it is:

The ViP622 has 3 tuners:
2 are satellite tuners, both receive SD & HD signals
1 is an ATSC OTA tuner, meaning it can receive digital broadcast signals, including HD. It cannot receive analog broadcasts.
These tuners can place their signals on the HD or to the outputs, below.

The ViP622 also has 2 outputs:
1 outputs both HD and SD signals
The other outputs only SD signals, downconverting from HD when necessary.

All signals are recorded on the HD as received, so HD remains in HD. It can be output as HD via output 1, and as SD via output 2.

No doubt one day we'll see an HD DVR with dual HD outputs.

You really will get better info here than with some CSRs. I've been very happy with my experience with CSRs, but I know some have not been so fortunate.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts