How does VOOM look on DISH now??

1080iBeVuMin

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Feb 29, 2004
Santa Rosa, CA
How is the PQ these days of the VOOM channels on Dish??

Hey, you old timers may remember me from the old VOOM DBS forum. I haven't been on here in ages. I also have not subscribed to ANY service since VOOM DBS shut down in 2005.

When DISH took over VOOM broadcasting there were lots of complaints here about bad PQ. I would like to know if it is up to the standard of the old VOOM DBS?? Or perhaps even better by now??

If not, I am still holding out for IPTV or whatever else comes along... I loved the old VOOM DBS with no commercials and all that great HD.

So please fill me in !!

Many thanks. :p

You have missed a lot of great HD programing and yes VOOM has improved on DISH and may be getting better with new equipment in testing. I too was an original VOOMER and only took DISH to add to my Directv as a token for adding VOOM programing. Was going to cancel DISH when D* caught up. Still waiting for that to happen. Maybe by the end of the year, but presently very pleased with DISH and VOOM. Strange thing happened, DISH PQ on SD & HD is better than D* with my setup! We watch/record most HD (95%) and OTA HD on DISH. D* does have two OTA turners on their DVR and that is the only plus. Good Luck and enjoy. I wouldn't wait any longer!

rickaren, thanks for your reply about VOOM "getting better" on Dish. Perhaps you (or others) could clarify if VOOM is actually up to par with the old VOOM DBS, or perhaps even better.... or not.

And what about "new equipment in testing"? Where can I find out about that?

I still have a lonely old disconnected VOOM dish clinging to my rooftop! If I get another dish installed, I will want to stay with that. I know IPTV is coming at some point -- might not be long.

I would like to hear from a few more folks. If I see a consensus that VOOM looks as good or better on DISH as it did on the old VOOM DBS, then we will finally take the plunge...

Many thanks!

rickaren, thanks for that link. I read all 13 pages. :eek:

Some of the posts talk about the "wow factor" still not being there with E*. I remember VOOM DBS had a huge "wow factor" in the PQ. It looks like the HD Lite everybody is referring to is still happening.

Anybody else got any input here? Is VOOM on E* as good now as VOOM was on VOOM DBS?

VOOM on Dish Network has a huge Wow! factor...like Wow!, this looks like crap...Wow! I can't believe some people think this is HD...Wow!, why is it taking more than 16 months for VOOM to repair their fiber problem. Wow!

If you don't have access to FiOS TV, then DishHD still offers the best HD value, however I cannot recommend DishHD to any former VOOMer until major picture quality improvements are made.

Keep waiting and you may never get HD, because you will always get negitive comments on anything.

Hey! :mad: I HAD terrific HD in 2004 with VOOM DBS until that young brat pulled the rug out!! :mad:

I trust riffjim4069's comment. I remember him from the old VOOM DBS days. :no Bad PQ is still the case with E*. :no I will not take a step backward from 2004 technology. I would love to get FiOS or IPTV or some other way to watch VOOM channels again with excellent PQ. What a great service VOOM DBS was.

Oh, for 2004 technology again... :love <sigh>

And I will stick with my OPPO upconverter until the HD-DVD/BluRay wars are over. !sadroll

On VOOM in the real VOOM Days ALL HD aired at 1440 x 1080

Now the VOOM Channels on Dish are at 1280 x 1080.

I would like to see them back at 1440 x 1080, especially since it appears they got the MPEG4 encoders working now. :)

Thanks, Scott. Good to hear from you again.

You sure had all the action here at satelliteguys.us :cool: during the old VOOM DBS days! Those were exciting times.... unfortunately with a tragic ending. :down

Voom, SighX2!!!
Not as good on E* but not terrible. Most of the voom offerings by E* is a waste of $$$ IMO,and a waste of bandwith, But however esp. since they E* got a "little" better with some of the other HD offerings I'll stick with it untill Vios comes to my nieborhood. My biggest complaint[ among many] is the E*s SD can't hold a candle to Voom's [sigh] SD. Some say its getting better. I guess?? WGN still looks like it was remastered in someones bathroom.

I am also an old Voom customer. Honestly, HD quality is close IMO, but SD on Dish is poor compared to the old Voom. You would think that a new satellite company in the mold of the old Voom would have a much better chance at being successful now with greater demand and interest in quality HD content.......I work retail and I see the enormous sales in HDTV......I would like to see a new player who can be dedicated to HD content without all the excess baggage you get from everyone else(SD simulcast of HD channels, up-teen shopping channels, PPV channels everywhere, etc.)

Remember when Voom came out and there was all those hot chicks at CES in rainbow colored clothing forcing Voom flyers upon people. i took like a hundred. Voom! its all about you!

I still have a lonely old disconnected VOOM dish clinging to my rooftop! If I get another dish installed, I will want to stay with that.

That dish should be pointing at 61.5 & you can use it for Dish HD off that satellite. Might need a new LNB though.

I know IPTV is coming at some point -- might not be long.

Yes, in about 2 weeks from Dish via DishOnline, or now from ITVN/XTV.

Waiting for things to get better will just deprive you of your HD enjoyment. There's always something better around the corner. For those few people that can get Fios, that's probably the best PQ available. But their DVR is lacking, big time.

Guys, thanks for all the replies. :bow Great points all around. Really helpful.

So, navychop, you think a E* installer would point my existing VOOM dish to 61.5 and use that?

I don't know. I was so impressed (spoiled) with VOOM DBS. That was the first satellite service I ever had. All that great HD PQ and no commercials. I would enjoy the VOOM channels on E* alright, but I think I would slightly resent the factors that are worse on E*-- crummy SD, reduced PQ on VOOM HD channels.

Then again, I would finally get my DVR (VOOM DBS promised but never delivered).

Hmmm....
s1.gif
still gotta think about it I guess...
s2.gif

If you haven't moved your Voom dish, it is already pointed at 61.5. This is where the old Voom satellite, Rainbow 1, is located. It is now called Echostar XII. Dish also has another satellite at the same location. This is where most Dish HD is sent from. Those that can't get a LOS to 61.5 can use 129.

I certainly don't consider E*'s SD to be crummy. And it's better to have pretty darned good HD than hold out for perfect HD, which may never come.

NavyChop Said:

If you haven't moved your Voom dish, it is already pointed at 61.5. This is where the old Voom satellite, Rainbow 1, is located. It is now called Echostar XII. Dish also has another satellite at the same location. This is where most Dish HD is sent from. Those that can't get a LOS to 61.5 can use 129.

I certainly don't consider E*'s SD to be crummy. And it's better to have pretty darned good HD than hold out for perfect HD, which may never come.

You are partly correct in saying that Dish SD is not "Crummy", at least compared to most non-digital cable. But SD on the original Voom DBS was awesome. I have not seen Verizon's FiOS, but I've heard good things about their SD picture quality.
I remember when I first became a Dish customer in the Mid-90's and had a "Dish 300" the picture quality was also great(only SD channels back then)and may have been as good as the old Voom.......except my television was not as good in those days. I don't worry about SD picture quality anymore, eventually, most SD channels will be replaced with HD versions with up-converted SD programming.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts