SatelliteGuys Guru
Original poster
Aug 17, 2004
wow i can order a movie on demand.....
whats new about that??
how about some free on demand stuff from some of the other channels
like demand on cable.
or perhaps that is the plan?? any info?

the better question is: how dumb is this dish home, dish on demand / OPEN TV lame appications which load slow and often don't work (I live in LA and more often than not they don't have weather info for my area avaliable!). Then if I use it on TV2 often it will freeze and i can't escape out of it unless i reboot (622 of course!).

It's pretty stupid if you ask me.

Most of the movies cost a dollar more than pay-per-view, plus once you order they are only available to watch for 24 hours. You can keep a regular PPV on your hard drive indefinitely.

This is only for people who are too stupid to figure out how to order a PPV movie.

The whole interactive thing is implemented badly, you'd think at least on the receivers with hard drives it could cache a local copy of the app so as not to have to slowly download the whole thing every time it's used.

the cable on demand is a really nice feature
just dish being dish either behind the times or features built for futre use (NEVER)
on demand over phoneline what a joke plus a dollar more and movie is only archived for 24-48 hours

It's not designed for you guys, it's designed for Joe Consumer and Mary Jane Rottencrotch who can be confused when you say "Yes we have ON-Demand programming too..." since it SOUNDS the same as cable.

It's not for us, don't worry about it...

well I DO want real on demand like cable....
is this even possible on the dish??

In it's current form it is lame. I doubt it will ever be worthwhile unless there is a radical change to it (not likely). Give us back the space on the hard drive.

I think that we are just looking at a first draft of this feature. Well have to see where they take it.

But all current arguments are correct, it does not make too much sense at this time the way it is currently implemented.

I was still kinda miffed at the Dish Home Indy500 feature where everytime I wanted to return to the mosaic screen it has to reload dish home. I could have sworn that when this was used for the 2004 summer Olympics, you did not need to reload the app to return to the mosaic.

I agree with all of you. It is just plain stupid as it is done now. And no HD versions of the movies.

riffjim4069 said:
It's poorly implemented...thus, a useless feature in its current state.

gutter said:
I agree with all of you. It is just plain stupid as it is done now. And no HD versions of the movies.

cebbigh said:
In it's current form it is lame. I doubt it will ever be worthwhile unless there is a radical change to it (not likely).

Funny thing is you could read these comments almost anywhere and know we were talking about Dish Network.:D

MY old 510 that my ex is using has software version 3.09 and now is vod ready. My 522 still doesn't. Didn't see any movies on the 510 that i'd want.

Ron

Last edited:
How do you lock this out so it can not be ordered? I do not want to lock out all PPV channels, if that would even work, since I get MLB EI and do a lot of channel jumping. I do not see a way to lock out this specific piece of crap.

Just ignore it.

You had to reload the Mosiac for the olympics but I think it took a little less time. That might be due to the way dish home is designed now, with the pop-over screens instead of going to a new screen...

Besides, if they let us get rid of VOD and Dish HOME, you know they'd swear it drove costs up and tack on another dollar to your bill, so just ignore it...

We're years away from having similar on-demand to cable, if ever. You'd have to have it hooked up to broadband to do it. Like that AT&T thing they're coming out with. THAT could deliver true on-demand technology to Dish Customers, plus more...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)