How far away do you guys have your dish's from the receivers?

Status
Please reply by conversation.
I would seriously consider a STB running linux based Enigma2 instead of putting a computer in the pump house. :D

Check out the Edision OS mini DVB-S2 + DVB-S2 Dual tuner STB. Bought one a few months ago on Ebay for $180 US shipped from Germany. It was loaded with OpenATV, but I am liking SatDreamGR Enigma 2 OS. Provided with a SMPS so runs on anything between 95 and 240 50/60hz. Run Cat 6 (shielded) to the house (to provide better reliability over WiFi), connect to the router and have full control of the STB from a HTPC, laptop, tablet, smartphone, etc. You have full access to the menus as well as watching TV. Check out the different current OpenPLI, Enigma 2 builds. I think that you will be impressed with the functions and flexibility!

BTW, the SatDreamGR E2 build now has basic software radio support for the RTL-SDR dongles and also ATSC tuners! :)

My furthest dish is 200 feet away from the switching and another 100 feet from there inside the house.This is with good quality RG6 and Beldon compression fittings....I do have a 500 foot roll of RG11 but really see no need to use it..Skimping on good compression fittings and improperly installed is ur enemy not the length of the run!

I have a roll of commscope RG6 I will need to check the shielding, maybe it's quad. Then a big bag of commscope compression fittings. I do need to see if they match as i did not realize all the different type's. Thanks HN!

I would seriously consider a STB running linux based Enigma2 instead of putting a computer in the pump house. :D

Check out the Edision OS mini DVB-S2 + DVB-S2 Dual tuner STB. Bought one a few months ago on Ebay for $180 US shipped from Germany. It was loaded with OpenATV, but I am liking SatDreamGR Enigma 2 OS. Provided with a SMPS so runs on anything between 95 and 240 50/60hz. Run Cat 6 (shielded) to the house (to provide better reliability over WiFi), connect to the router and have full control of the STB from a HTPC, laptop, tablet, smartphone, etc. You have full access to the menus as well as watching TV. Check out the different current OpenPLI, Enigma 2 builds. I think that you will be impressed with the functions and flexibility!

BTW, the SatDreamGR E2 build now has basic software radio support for the RTL-SDR dongles and also ATSC tuners! :)

Trust me your advice did not fall on deaf ears Brian. I have been snooping around openpli.org today & whats strange is I was on sourceforge checking out an editor (Atom) vs (Sublime) as my son was here. As we were talking about the editors. Somehow we ended up on python.org and json.org as json is his day job. Anyway I notice those box's like python modules... From my limited reading that is.

Anyway me myself I got lost in all the london perl mongers scripts for a number of years. Not to mention all the different cms's and such. I had email coming from all over the place. Oh then I got old...

Thank you for all your post as well sir! It's going to take me some time to get up to speed. I am working on it. It would also help if my laptop wasn't at 100% Cpu and sounding like it going to take off like a flying saucer. Man I have been all thru this darn thing.

Reactions: Titanium
A STB box like Titanium suggests will be much cheaper to run. Running a PC 24/7 will cost $15 - $20 a month in electricity, something to consider.

Wow, some of these cable runs are pretty long! This info shows just how varied each system is, from simple 30 foot runs to sophisticated, WiFi-assisted. Never knew of all these different types but very interesting reading about them.

Yes, interesting solutions indeed. I have found the distance from the dish and the amount of RG6 used can be almost unrelated though. For instance, this Winegard dish equipped with a Bullseye II feed is about 30 feet from the multi-switch and receiver. The receiver is just inside the window on the right side of this picture. There is an OTA antenna included in this installation. That makes 5 coax runs from the dish and it was about 350 feet of RG6 used. It is 75 feet from the LNBs to the multi-switch.
Pinnacle2012.jpg

Yes, interesting solutions indeed. I have found the distance from the dish and the amount of RG6 used can be almost unrelated though. For instance, this Winegard dish equipped with a Bullseye II feed is about 30 feet from the multi-switch and receiver. The receiver is just inside the window on the right side of this picture. There is an OTA antenna included in this installation. That makes 5 coax runs from the dish and it was about 350 feet of RG6 used. It is 75 feet from the LNBs to the multi-switch.
View attachment 123015

Magic what do you mean by an OTA included? Is their a separate antenna for the OTA on the other side of the house? You have me wondering if it integrated into the dish some how. As something like that would be interesting to me to learn as well. My OTA is okay but I half to go out and turn the mast for this or that. The old channel master on top hasn't worked in a long time. it could be something simple to it. IDK but would be really nice to fix as I get all my other stuff set up.

Thanks
Bill

Quad shield and solid copper core (instead of copper clad steel) is significantly better long runs requiring 22KHz/DiSEqC commands for switch and motor control and RG11 will even be better. There is very little price difference to have the additional shielding and I would rather error on the side of more is better! If the run will be underground, either enclose it in pipe / irrigation hose or better, the UG rated with self healing and waterproof heavy poly jacket. :D

I'd have a computer with DVB-S2 tuners, which could even be something low powered like a Raspberry Pi. Run Tvheadend on it. Run a twisted pair out there to that location from the house. Anything over 100M is too long for ethernet but you can use a VDSL2 to ethernet bridge on each end to get wired 100mbit between the 2 locations easily. I have that between my house and shop using old phone wiring and it has worked without any issue for a long time now. Then on the house end any computers, set top boxes, tables, phones that can run Kodi can use the tuners out there remotely. If that is the best location for an off-air antenna also, it can work just the same for that.

Reactions: Titanium
Status
Please reply by conversation.