how is a preexisting house wired for fiber optics

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

shankle

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Mar 10, 2010
florida
Fiber optices is coming to my town.
I already have ATT dsl and it's expensive and slow.
The computer has a separate phone line just for the computer.

How are they going to wire my house with many phone
jacks without tearing up the house?
I understand that the existing wires CANNOT be used.
Also that glass is much better than plastic.
I will probably want phone, internet and tv on fiber optics.

I've never had fiber, but when I have gotten phone service from the cable company it generally works that the cable plugs into a cable-modem. The internet and phone exit on their own standard jacks. My Comcast modem came with the potential for 2 phone lines on different jacks.

I believe what you are being told is that the installer is not allowed to use somebody else's wiring. It should work just fine and all you would need to do is connect into it. I have generally told the installers to just give me the standard 1 phone install. I then bridged into the existing jack and everything worked. However a better solution these days is to just wire to a base station and go wireless throughout the house.

Actually, on the current go around, I dumped the land line altogether since everyone in the house has a cell. It is actually working out very well, especially since nobody is home during the day, but I can still receive calls.

They should not run fiber in the house. They just run fiber to a modem/gateway. The household wiring would be ethernet. How you get the ethernet to where you need it to be is the challenge. They can also just use wifi.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)