How Long After the Cable is Buried?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

andrews777

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Nov 5, 2004
They just dug up and at least partially pulled a bright orange tube (cable?) in the alley behind my house in Garland, TX. They also had flyers on the doors indicating they were installing FiOS stuff, but without any indication of when it would be available. After checking with the online site I found I still did not qualify to order it and the phone guy I then called didn't know when it would be available. He did claim they would certainly let me know when it was available since they would be putting out a lot of flyers on signing up at that point.

Does anyone know how long it should take for the service to be offered after the cable is in the alley?

Brad

It probably depends on what's already in service in your area. In my neighborhood, it was many months (maybe six?) after orange conduit installation, but we were in a completely new service area. VZ also had to install and test all the distribution and termination equipment from scratch.

If VZ is merely extending existing service to your neighborhood, activation shouldn’t take so long.

The cable has been in our street for at least two years! Phone and internet service; but no TV.
The delay could have to do with your local Cable Co. and Local Franchise Authority (LFA) colluding to keep out Verizon...and Verizon not having the time and money to fight each and every local battle. If Verizon does not have a cable franchise, there is no way they can legally offer FiOS TV service in your area.

FYI, the current LFA model has led to a variety of abuses that have kept potential new entrants from entering cable markets: Cable Co. pays huge extortion fees for non-exclusive rights to a market (wink, wink, nudge, nudge), Cable is allowed to offer hugely expensive piss-poor service, and the local governments receive easy money (juicy franchise fees) to look the other way...all at our expense. That's why cable is viewed as an evil empire, it's why more than 25 million have switched to satellite (if an option), and it's why many local governments have fought cable competition tooth and nail...they care more about filling the county coffers than they do about offering residents affordable cable choices.

Anyway, without knowing specifics about your area you may wish to contact your local franchise authority (check your bill since it could be a city, county, township, etc.) and tell them to negotiate a cable franchise with Verizon in good faith.

After the main line was installed, Verizon came out a week after and did splicing of the lines at each juction box. About a two months later, I got a call from Verizon Construction Manager stating that FIOS service has been activated in my area (Neport News, VA).

Verizon has come out already and installed and buried their fiber line to my house. I am waiting for the install of boxes, internet, and phone June 13.

Still quiet here, though my wife said they were out in the front yard, in the rain, hooking something up a couple of days ago. I am still waiting. :)

Brad

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts