How long Component Cables??

dodge

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Aug 1, 2004
Plano, Illinois, United States
I have a 26" lcd in the bedroom now that is only ota hd. My 622 and 211 are both in the lower level. I want to run a component cable from down there, with l and r audio from one of those 2 rooms to the master bedroom so I dont have to acquire a 3 rd hd receiver from dish. What is the max length of component cable you can run???

I was doing some thinking, I have plenty of Rg 6 dual ( as I am E* and D* subcontractor) maybe I could run 3 runs of dual to the master and put rca compression style fittings on the cables. and use the 6th as a spare hmmm:confused::confused:

I have a least 100ft of rg6 run from my media closet to the hdtv in the master bedroom being fed from the component outs of the 722 in the living room. Has worked great for a year now. I have wall plates that have inserts that have a female coax barrel on the back and regular rca females on the outside. So I can then just plug a regular 6 ft set of component cables from the wall to the tv.

I made a 50ft run using RG-6 to my LCD projector. I had 2 issues:

1) Slow rolling horizontal lines in the picture. This was caused by a ground loop between the receiver and the projector. The receiver and projector were plugged into separate A/C outlets that branched from the breaker box. I never fully eliminated this problem.

2) Color shifting and brightness/contrast imbalance (i.e. crappy picture). This was caused by the cheap 4-to-1 component video switch box I used to send the video to the projector. The component video DC levels were not compensated over the long cable run. I replaced the component video switch box with a better unit made by Video Storm to fix this issue.

So, beware that long video runs can be tricky. Eventually, I upgraded all my equipment to HDMI and use a 50ft HDMI cable instead. Since it is digital, HDMI is more immune noise and other issues associated with analog video.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)