How long have you had C band ?

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Thanks TVROPRO
I've been in the electronics business for 20 years. I am very comfortable with
soldering and even work with smd components on a regular basis.

I've never seen something like this before. Just one wrong move and the unit
is either toast or the battery explodes in your face.

I have seen motorola radios that will loose their memory or key if a backup battery
dies or is shorted. But the information can be reloaded.

I was just checking my weller temp controlled soldering iron. And yes the tip
is grounded for ESD reasons.

If I apply that Iron to the positive terminal of that battery and the unit is grounded anywhere it will short the battery, loose it ID and probably explode.

Good job GI/Moto :mad:

I still have my first dish which is a 10' fiberglass, need to repair the mount so I have it layed over...(it came with a 120° LNA) my second dish is an 8' Mesh dish I bought off a neighbor about 15 years ago or so... I keep it on G-16...

I got the first dish up in 1987. First receiver was an Astro/Centauri. Cool thing was it had an Az/El positioner and the dish was set up for both as well. If only the mount had been half way decent!

As for other receivers over the years, I had a Uniden briefly (don't remember the model), Sierra 3, Monterey 90 and of course now the DSR 920/922 along with the various FTA receivers listed below.

After that first dish (which didn't have any name on it). I had a Laux Beta 9 (solid dish) and since 1990 the Paraclipse.

Hard to believe that this now my 21st year of playing with these toys!:)

well i watched my uncles system from the mid 80's ( yeah back before everything was scrambled) and loved it. Since we live far out in the country the big dish was the way to go. bought my first system in late 1990 and it was a 10 ft Odem mesh with a von weise actuator and a GI 2410 receiver used it until 1997 or 1998 and went with direct tv, but left the dish out there. this was about the time that Digital was cranking up and i didn't know if the move was worth it ( 80%) of my watching was from wild feeds. a company called Smaller was selling a digital unit ( yeah no blind scan lol) i think it could hold 100 channels and 20 satellites. I think their best unit ( and the last for them to import/make) was the Smaller SM-6600. I started back in 2006 got the c-band dish cleaned up ( it was c-band only) and started looking around for smaller ku dishes ..... found that no one used their primestar dishes anymore so i started collecting them. Then i started looking for information about signals in the sky and almost everything was geared for the eye-patch gang except here ... so here i am :)

I still have Direct tv ( can't convence the wife to drop it ) since i was so far out in the country only big dishes were available until DTV ( didn't hear about primestar until later ) I think when i first sub to direct tv it was two companies DTV & USSB

now i would hear of companies that was like cable but worked with a satellite dish ( and i suspect a stationary dish at G5. they were like Rural Cable or Country Cable )

Last edited:
I got started around 87 with a RadioShack 9ft H-H dish and a Receiver made by uniden. Several receivers and LNB's later I still have the same dish along with a Motorola DSR-922 and Coolsat 6000 clone.

a company called Smaller was selling a digital unit ( yeah no blind scan lol) i think it could hold 100 channels and 20 satellites. I think their best unit ( and the last for them to import/make) was the Smaller SM-6600.

I guess you mean Smallear...that's a name you don't hear much anymore...:) I had his ST9900...never could see what was so great about it. I promptly sold it....

I guess you mean Smallear...that's a name you don't hear much anymore... I had his ST9900...never could see what was so great about it. I promptly sold it....

yeah thats it lol well i was guessing that they were some of the first digital boxes you could get here in the US ( i could be wrong on that )

Status
Please reply by conversation.