How Long Should I Wait For a Reply From DIRT Team Member?

My parents have never paid for a repair and their maintenance is covered as well. I'm sure it's different for each dealership/brand, etc. BUT, we're getting totally off topic. :)

Not to mention, nobody knows who’s fault the problem is until the Tech gets there and makes a determination.

Lease vs. Repair: Most car leases are short term enough that the lease term is during the entire warranty period of the car. So it's the warranty that is covering the repairs, not the lease. For argument's sake, to apply that same principal to your Hopper, your Hopper is well out of its warranty period, so no expectation to have repairs or a service call (tech visit) covered.

You can add the protection plan to drop the tech visit down to $10, and then immediately drop it afterward, which would cost you about $40 ($30 Protection Plan cancellation fee, plus $10 for the tech visit, plus any pro-rated plan costs)

Reactions: joegr and HipKat
You can add the protection plan to drop the tech visit down to $10, and then immediately drop it afterward, which would cost you about $40 ($30 Protection Plan cancellation fee, plus $10 for the tech visit, plus any pro-rated plan costs)
IIRC, they set a time limit as to how long you have to keep in before you drop it.

I get and agree with what you are saying but I'll throw another wrench in just to make it fun - you are right, when you lease it is short term and the warranty covers most. Once the lease is done you have to turn in the car or buy it....so why doesn't a Dish lease work like that? You keep paying a monthly lease fee on an "old" receiver that after 3 years I could have paid outright for and saved money. I think they should have a lease term and once that is over you either pay the remainder and buy the dvr or send it back for an upgraded model. It would be only fair. Why do I have to pay the same lease price for my old one that someone pays for a new one they got yesterday (for arguments sake)? I am not trying to start a war, I'm smiling as I type this but it's another way to think about things.
My problem has been solved in working with Matt so I'm all set. If I would have had to pay for a service call (with plan or not) I would have said forget it and bought my own refurb from ebay or somewhere, even if it lasted a year it would have been more savvy. Thanks everyone for your help and advice! I'm thinking about finding a couple good dvr's and switching over to hulu and netflix at some point, tired of paying high prices for channels we don't watch. Thought I would try the a la carte plan but of course they split the channels up so that everything we watch requires another package so by the time we were done it was the same as what we're paying! Don't get me wrong, I like Dish and I like the Hopper but really hoping they come down on the prices to compete with other companies at some point.

Because it isn't really a lease. You pay the same fee whether you own or lease the receiver. It is more like a programming access or outlet fee. Basically you are getting a free lease in exchange for a 2-year commitment.

Also, if Matt hadn't helped you out, how is buying a refurb more savvy than spending $40-$50 on a tech visit? You would still be paying the same monthly fees, plus you would have the cost of buying the refurb.

Reactions: andreah1
You are not paying a lease fee as all receivers have the exact same fees to use whether it is owned or leased.
The first receiver on the account has NO fee at all.

I 100% disagree with having to pay for "repairs" or "service" on someone else's equipment. In this case, with Dish, most of us don't own the equipment. It is a lease:

7. EQUIPMENT
A. Equipment. In order to receive Services, you must purchase or lease certain reception equipment consisting...

That's what the residential service agreement says. What real choices do we have though ?

Yes, that time limit is 180 days, how long you have to keep it before you drop it with no penalty. Otherwise, you can drop it anytime before that and it's a $30 cancellation fee.

Not sure how old this is:

https://www.dish.com/downloads/legal/protection-plan.pdf
Dish changes the terms on the service plans every 4 days it seems but the last time I did the math, there's no point in cancelling it once you've signed up. I don't recall if it ended up the exact dollar amount but it was within a $2-3 difference.

Dish changes the terms on the service plans every 4 days it seems but the last time I did the math, there's no point in cancelling it once you've signed up. I don't recall if it ended up the exact dollar amount but it was within a $2-3 difference.
If the current policy is 180 days, then is it definitely advantageous to cancel asap.

I don't think the term was (180) days nor did they have these tiers of service plans when I checked.

Note to self: Cancel the service plan

Hah !! I think I'll wait until tomorrow to cancel it....

d.png

I 100% disagree with having to pay for "repairs" or "service" on someone else's equipment. In this case, with Dish, most of us don't own the equipment. It is a lease:

That's what the residential service agreement says. What real choices do we have though ?
Then don't complain when the Bill goes up because Dish still has to pay the tech to roll out there, the fuel to get the van there and possibly other out of pocket expenses for any equipment used. Everyone wants free stuff, someone has to pay in the end.

Dish should pay the service tech to go out and fix a dish owned receiver. It’s called the cost of doing business. The problem is over the years we have let the corporations make us believe that the customer should pay a service fee for something that the company should pay for. And they wonder why the wheels are falling off satellite Tv . It has become fee after fee for a product that is starting to become dated.

Everyone wants free stuff, someone has to pay in the end.
Do you pay to repair other people's stuff ? If your neighbor's car breaks down, do you pay for it ? I didn't think so.... doesn't make sense for you to pay for someone else's stuff, huh ? The Dish hardware in our homes isn't ours.

I know how business works and Dish won't lose money, they'll just raise our rates to cover it. Doesn't mean it's right !

Because techs come to work on customer owned equipment. If you lease the receiver, even without the protection plan, the replacement is free. You do have to pay shipping though. This is all in the agreement, and has been for quite some time prior to signing. If it is as much a concern as you folks make it, then wouldn’t it really be you that is in the wrong for not understanding what you were signing for shiny new toys?

Again, there is nothing that techs come out to do that couldn’t be done by the customer. The antenna, cabling, and almost all Knick knacks are owned by the customer. The only thing owned by Dish is the STB. And they replace those free when leased(plus shipping).

Get real, folks. If Dish were to do all these repairs for "free," ALL our rates would have to go up.

I believe basic Market System and Business should be required courses in HS. Fail them, no graduation.

Reactions: HipKat

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)