How long to backup?

chris maddock

Original poster
Jan 24, 2016
Loveland, OH
I ordered a usb 3.0 backup on Amazon tonight. I understand that the Hopper 2 isn't able to do usb 3.0 speeds but what am I looking at for the amount of time to back up the Hopper 2 that is almost completely full? Thank you for your help.

A full HD could take a full day or more to transfer. I've seen mine say "20-some hrs" on big dumps. Just start it, ensure capacity isn't maxed out, then walk away.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk

I ordered a usb 3.0 backup on Amazon tonight. I understand that the Hopper 2 isn't able to do usb 3.0 speeds but what am I looking at for the amount of time to back up the Hopper 2 that is almost completely full? Thank you for your help.

It's about 6 minutes per hour of content. Doesn't matter about being USB 2.0 as that is faster than the throughput off from the HDD or EHD...
Gerry

You are archiving, not backing up. Only one location will have a copy of th program.

Okay. I tried to back up everything to the hard drive and it said I didn't have enough space when the external drive had more space than was being show on the Hopper. So I went in and selected certain programs and it gave me an estimated time to completion then I pressed watch live tv. How do I get the status of the transfer back up?

There have been posts as to the ability to do a HwS to H3 direct over Ethernet. Is that true? If so, why use an EHD?

That feature has not been implemented yet.
Several places I have read that after H3 installs Hoppers are being left behind to transfer recordings with boxes being sent to ship the device back later. So are the Hoppers to be returned going to sit for awhile?

I really appreciate your help evilsofa. How do I backup timers so I don't have to re-input all of them?
When I was anticipating my upgrade to the H3 from the HWS, I went to back up my timers so I could transfer them to the new Hopper. I found out the HWS had been storing the configuration on what looked like a nightly basis since when I went to store the timers, it said it had last backed up the 40.0 remote that very day.

My guess is that the new 52.0 will keep up to date on timers etc. as well.

You can also manually back up to the remote to ensure that it is up to date. You might want to check your timers to see if there are any you no longer want and clear them out before you transfer them over.

I really appreciate your help evilsofa. How do I backup timers so I don't have to re-input all of them?
Keep your old 40.0 remote - it has all your timers, guides and other settings backed up.
Pair your old remote to the H3 by opening the front door on the H3, press the system info button, then hold the old remote in front of the hopper and press and hold the sat button until the remote beeps. You are then paired and can transfer your info to the H3.
The old Hopper needs to be unplugged to do this.

I have a question on the EHD as it is extremely slow from my experience. Does the Hopper only delete recordings that have been successfully transferred to the EHD? What happens to transfers during the time when the Hopper shuts off each night at 1AM? Will the shutdown just be ignored or will the Hopper actually pick up where it left off?

I have a question on the EHD as it is extremely slow from my experience. Does the Hopper only delete recordings that have been successfully transferred to the EHD? What happens to transfers during the time when the Hopper shuts off each night at 1AM? Will the shutdown just be ignored or will the Hopper actually pick up where it left off?
The transfer will be interrupted and will not resume. Do the transfer in small batches.

The transfer will be interrupted and will not resume. Do the transfer in small batches.
Thanks, since I was worried I might select too much content like I did 10 minutes ago which shows ETA of 32.5 Hrs. I was wondering what will happen. So basically, any sort of interruption like the power off each night or a power outage, etc will basically not erase the recording and I basically start a new transfer again.

Thanks, since I was worried I might select too much content like I did 10 minutes ago which shows ETA of 32.5 Hrs. I was wondering what will happen. So basically, any sort of interruption like the power off each night or a power outage, etc will basically not erase the recording and I basically start a new transfer again.

But it COULD possibly cause corruption of at least the file (show) that was interrupted...which then you will have probably lost it altogether. Hence the suggestion of doing it in small(er) batches while you are at least around to attend to it if something was to go wrong. I've also had occasional situations where 1 show in an entire batch would, for whatever reason, refuse to x-fer over & I had to leave it on the receiver HDD.
Just selecting "everything" & walking away is very poor advice, in IMO... :eek:

But it COULD possibly cause corruption of at least the file (show) that was interrupted...which then you will have probably lost it altogether. Hence the suggestion of doing it in small(er) batches while you are at least around to attend to it if something was to go wrong. I've also had occasional situations where 1 show in an entire batch would, for whatever reason, refuse to x-fer over & I had to leave it on the receiver HDD.
Just selecting "everything" & walking away is very poor advice, in IMO... :eek:

That's the reason I try to do it in small batches except I don't know what the ETA is before hand. Is there anyway to stop the transfer manually assuming it's already in the background as I selected View Live TV. So far, I have cleared up 100GB, still 1.1TB to go...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)