bobvick

Pub Member / Supporter
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Jul 20, 2006
Northwest Alabama
Hello,

I was a Dish customer from July 2006 until January 2008 when I switched back to DirecTV.
I am thinking about switching back to Dish because I am tired of DirecTV's equipment (HR series is bearable, and sometimes works good, but it is much slower) and the fact that they seem to refuse to add any new HBO channels in HD.
Since Dish now has all of the Viacom channels in HD plus some more that DirecTV does not have (unless you are a sports fan).
Anyway, will I be considered a new customer or do I need to sign up in my wife's name?

After 6 mos. you would be a "returning customer" and eligible for new customer offers.

You will be considered a returning subscriber after 6 months and usually be given about the same promotions as a first-time subscriber. They sometimes flag the address and phone number so if someone with the same name and address and phone number subscribes, they still consider it a returning subscriber. It really depends on what shows up in the database when you call-in. I wouldn't worry about it though as they have been giving the promos to the returning subs anyway. I imagine if a subscriber abused by going back and forth between providers all the time, a different result might accrue.

I am curious as to why they do it by address, someone could move to an address that had previously had Dish and be of no relation.

I am curious as to why they do it by address, someone could move to an address that had previously had Dish and be of no relation.

Same address, same name, same phone number would mean likely the same family/subscriber. Some CSRs will pay no attention, some may. As long as they are offering returning subs basically the same promos, it really doesn't matter unless someone is an abuser of service.