How many Americans deprived of viewing the MLB divisional playoffs?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

waltinvt

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Feb 16, 2004
Vermont
Here some of us (including me) are whining about not getting the MLB divisional play-offs in HD and I wonder how many Americans won't get to watch them at all?

I imagine many viewers who have to rely solely on OTA networks or basic cable / satellite for their television are really bumming about now.

The least cable / satellite could do is temporarily add the SD TBS feed to their basic tiers for the play-offs. Although the Dish SD feed of TBS is horrendous (at least on my system), so I can't imagine what it would look like on cable.

Most, if not all, cable and satellite systems have TBS on their lowest tier. The ones who get shut out are the people in a market with a team playing that don't have cable/sat. TBS is exclusive, there's no over the air.

They are the ones who get shutout

Yeah, you people get all the good stuff. Its the other 10 percent of the population who like other channels like LOGO, who do not even have access to it on Dish. I have to go ONLINE and watch it there. TBS play offs are also available online to watch. HINT HINT

I am so gonna punch the next person who has to chat about TBS and HD or the stupid play offs. And whats up with all the NHL HD channels now? Are they expecting to use them all? Maybe convert a SD channel or add an entirely new one.

I'll add this to my list of things to worry about next Shrove Tuesday. :rolleyes:

Here some of us (including me) are whining about not getting the MLB divisional play-offs in HD and I wonder how many Americans won't get to watch them at all?

I imagine many viewers who have to rely solely on OTA networks or basic cable / satellite for their television are really bumming about now.

The least cable / satellite could do is temporarily add the SD TBS feed to their basic tiers for the play-offs. Although the Dish SD feed of TBS is horrendous (at least on my system), so I can't imagine what it would look like on cable.

Walt my question is... never mind baseball how many NH subs are being cheated out of getting WMUR on satellite after being teased with it for a few months on Dish.

Dish showing TBS HD for playoffs

I am receiving TBS HD just fine on 129. Only problem is the sound is really
erratic and irritating. Last evening we had both TBS (Cleveland) -TNT (Boston) American League playoffs in HD, when the Cleveland game was in extra innings. When Cleveland game was over switched back to TBS HD for Boston game.

Happy Camper

I know of several...

For instance, my Dad called me a few nights back (when the divisional playoffs began) and asked where the MLB playoffs were being aired. I simply said "TBS" and he immediately indicated he was watching a re-run of Friends. (Note to all of the Satellite Guys: My Dad is NOT a fan of Friends... :)). Anyways, he indicated that he was watching "Peachtree" and so we both assumed that TBS and Peachtree were actually two different networks now. That might be incorrect but the whole point is, he's on Windstream Cable Television and I'm across the road from him and on DISH Network (and I can see the playoffs). It's been plenty enough to convince my Dad (who is just as loyal to companies he does business with as I am) to cancel cable after about the 17 years that they have been in our area and subscribe with DISH.
I, on the other hand, had forgotten about the switch to Peachtree because even though I am in the Atlanta area, the only network I wanted outside of the Big 4 was TBS (which is in the most basic package) and I wound up just getting distants through AAD. Now, I don't have an HD television (like my Dad) so the quality has been downright horrid in some instances on the SD feed of TBS. But since I'm actually watching the games, I'll take that over nothing.

Even more bizarre is the fact that I'm subscribing to the AT200 and COMPLAINING about the annual subscription cost and here's a guy that's going to the AT250 and, annually, will save about $100 / year and will be receiving far more than he does on cable. We're both advocates of the A La Carte plan that the FCC is pushing as we'd both only need around 15 channels (including locals) to be content. Now I did move to the Charlotte market for two reasons. First, the Nationals, Orioles, and Reds in addition to my Braves. Second, I love the Carolina Hurricanes -- and don't always have the money for the Center Ice package to follow the Maple Leafs (this year was different, though). And, oddly enough, I'm becoming a little more content with DISH all the time. They seem to be a little more affordable than DirecTV and, even though I'm extremely bitter about the L.A. locals, I guess I could purchase an HD receiver and just move to that area. It's still just the question of how well they would come over to an SD television. (Side question: Do I have to subscribe to the HD package with an HD receiver (the 211) or can I just subscribe to HD locals out of L.A.)?

Anyways, I work with a girl around two years younger than me that is a huge fan of the Indians and only has a cable feed at her apartment about 25 miles south of me -- I've been taping the games for her. My uncle, who lives about four hundred yards from me is another victim of being unable to view the divisional playoffs on his cable feed of TBS (or now Peachtree). I know of several others that are experiencing the same thing. They certainly missed some exciting moments in both games last night.

Cade

I "think" the point the OP was trying to make was the fact that the playoffs are EXCLUSIVELY on TBS this year to start. Not on an OTA station like FOX, which they are going to be.

At least the World Series.

No longer are people able to watch/listen FOR FREE, at all(unless of course you live in one of the local markets where your team is in).

It ACTUALLY COSTS some money now, to watch a playoff game for the home viewer.

Baseball viewership has declined based somewhat on this philosophy.

Not the lone culprit, but a part of a long list of screwups by MLB and it's caretakers.

Last week, I was sort of "shocked"(not really. Disappointed is a better word) that ESPN did not show those weekend games involving the Rockies, Mets, Padres, or Phillies even though EVERY GAME was of extreme importance to the pennant race.

I Pirate Fan(thank you for your prayers), but above all, I am a baseball fan. Not showing those important games on ESPN(or at least FX, or some fox station where they also have a contract with MLB) is SAD, and part of the reason why alot of people just don't care about the sport as much as they used too.

It is being presented wrong IMHO. If I were MLB head honchos, I would make DAMN CERTAIN that any type of contract I make with anyone would make sure that they have an ability to show end of season "penannt Type" games on TV.

Since baseball is a marathon, place more emphasis on the second half of nationally televised games, especially towards the end of September.

Just my 2 cents.

Yeah, you people get all the good stuff. Its the other 10 percent of the population who like other channels like LOGO, who do not even have access to it on Dish. I have to go ONLINE and watch it there. TBS play offs are also available online to watch. HINT HINT

I am so gonna punch the next person who has to chat about TBS and HD or the stupid play offs. And whats up with all the NHL HD channels now? Are they expecting to use them all? Maybe convert a SD channel or add an entirely new one.

TBS, HD, PLAYOFFS.:D

I "think" the point the OP was trying to make was the fact that the playoffs are EXCLUSIVELY on TBS this year to start. Not on an OTA station like FOX, which they are going to be.

At least the World Series.

No longer are people able to watch/listen FOR FREE, at all(unless of course you live in one of the local markets where your team is in).

It ACTUALLY COSTS some money now, to watch a playoff game for the home viewer.

Baseball viewership has declined based somewhat on this philosophy.

Not the lone culprit, but a part of a long list of screwups by MLB and it's caretakers.

Last week, I was sort of "shocked"(not really. Disappointed is a better word) that ESPN did not show those weekend games involving the Rockies, Mets, Padres, or Phillies even though EVERY GAME was of extreme importance to the pennant race.

I Pirate Fan(thank you for your prayers), but above all, I am a baseball fan. Not showing those important games on ESPN(or at least FX, or some fox station where they also have a contract with MLB) is SAD, and part of the reason why alot of people just don't care about the sport as much as they used too.

It is being presented wrong IMHO. If I were MLB head honchos, I would make DAMN CERTAIN that any type of contract I make with anyone would make sure that they have an ability to show end of season "penannt Type" games on TV.

Since baseball is a marathon, place more emphasis on the second half of nationally televised games, especially towards the end of September.

Just my 2 cents.

I actually went all through my program guide (AT 200) and even went ahead and turned to ESPN and ESPN 2 simply figuring that a network somewhere was going to carry the Mets-Phillies game. On the Friday before the season ended, they did show the Padres-Brewers on ESPN (which was a critical game for both teams) but never showed any games beyond that. The only option I had was a free subscription to MLB.TV (the five day trial) and I was very disappointed as, for some reason, I could not see any of the games live. Once they were over and it was an archive the next day, I could view it from the first pitch to the last -- but I could not view anything live.

I'll agree, though, gone are the days of seeing these games for free. I've even heard rumors of placing the MLB World Series, Super Bowl, and Daytona 500 on pay-per-view in the past. Gone are the good old days (and affordable ones), I guess.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts