How many cable(s) used for OTA?

mdovell

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jul 8, 2005
There's a few on ebay...two actually for $50. It's pretty tempting but there's no cables or cards or anything...just the boxes. Is it just some av's to the tv and then a uhf antenna to the back? that might be pretty simple...

That's all there is to it.....

You have the option of outputting the signal from either the DVI interface, component outputs, video outputs, or S-video outputs to your television set. You then run an antenna (preferrably amplified) to the antenna cartridge that is sticking out of the slot on the back of the receiver. The other coax fittings are for a UHF remote control antenna (unless you have a remote control that uses RF over traditional heat wave frequencies then don't bother with this input), satellite tuner (pretty much non-working since these no longer recognize Rainbow-1 satellite), Antenna analog RF pass thru (basically allows you to hook up an antenna for analog to your television if hooked up via the RF modulator and allows you to watch your analog channels whenever your set-top receiver is switched off), and of course an RF modulator. There is also a usb port and a phone connector on the back which were never used by the receivers during the life of Voom and so are useless as well.

I would only buy a VOOM box from a private seller and one who also makes it specifically clear that the box was up and running with VOOM service up until their shutdown. If they don't say it's was working and still works for OTA, move on to another one.

The reason I mention a private seller is I mean vs a "store" type that buys up lots of items. They will often avoid the issue of OTA service and just mention "New, still in original box. Includes all cables, remote, etc, etc". They aren't doing anything wrong, of course, just selling a box that has literally ZERO value to most people.

It seems to breakdown like this for most of the auctions I see

1) a totally useable item....dirt cheap :D but because they put it on for like 7 days by the time it gets down to say 2 hours or so it skyrockets to nearly $100 or so (s&h and maybe insurance included)

2) junkyard like status of items that are unknown in terms of activation...maybe saying "Light up when plugged in" yeah nearly anything electronic in the past 30 years might also qualify for that....

3) ones new in box

Anyone know other auction sites besides ebay? kinda curious. Auctions are sort of a antithesis of having the whole high speed internet I have. I mean a auction of a week is nice and all but I'm not always home when these things end...there's no way I can put a request for time off at work with reason being "ebay" would be funny though.

mdovell are you still interested? I'm going to be testing my VOOM moto receiver in the next couple of days to see if they work. If they do . . . I will be selling one of them. Let me know.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts