How many clients will you need or willing to pay for?

Sean Mota

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Sep 8, 2003
New York City
Let's say the DVR comes at rental plan of $15-$20/mth. Each Client comes at $4.99/mth.

1 DVR + 1 Client = $20 - $25 per mth
1 DVR + 2 Clients = $25 - $30 per mth
1 DVR + 3 Clients = $30 - $35 per mth
1 DVR + 4 Clients = $35 - $40 per mth
1 DVR + 5 Clients = $40 - $45 per mth
1 DVR + 6 Clients = $45 - $50 per mth

Given the above structure (my own idea), how many clients are you willing to pay for? Or can you come up with a better plan or more logical approach?

I'd get one and one. I wouldn't mind that pricing if it included all mirroring fees etc -- i.e. thet only equipment cost I'm paying is the $25 for dvr and one client.

I only have 2 stbs so the 2 option one you posted seems reasonable enough.. however here's my idea:

With 2 year VaVaVoom commitment you pay a slightly higher per month cost (say $30-$35 a month?), at the end the DVR is yours.

Discount rates and or free installation for existing Voom customers, and a discount should be given to any charter members.

Yes, I would love a rent to own option. That being said, I'll definitely be doing 1 DVR + 2 Clients. I'm assuming the mirroring fee will no longer exist since you only have 1 real receiver so that helps keep the cost down. Pretty much my wife is dying for this thing. VOOM needs to make this happen by the end of the year. It's getting a little ridiculous not having a DVR. And the current program planner sucks. There is no ability to set up repeating timers, and you can't set up any planners for OTA channels you've gotten through scans since there is no info in the EPG for them.

VOOM needs to fix that problem otherwise the DVR will be about worthless for people getting their OTA's via scanned channels.

However, my question is this. It's been said that the old receivers will be usable as clients. I wonder if we'll have the ability to swap the old receiver out for one of the new smaller clients to get a lower rental cost per box.

At $20/mo. for the DVR - it would take 50 months to equal $1000. That's a pretty good deal!

Actually at $35 for a rent to own plan, would take 28 months to get to $1,000... which is a little more than 2 years, BUT Voom also had you subscribed to VaVaVoom for 2 years, take that all into consideration Voom made their money and a little more and you didn't have to pay $1,000 in one shot.

I want a rent to own plan IF the box will function as a stand alone OTA ird/dvr w/o a subscription to Voom. I don't want a doorstop if I unsubscribe. Either that or Voom lets you resell the box.

Dumb Question:

We want two tuners for the house. Currently, one tuner feeds the whole house while another feeds the main viewing area. This allows my wife and I to watch different shows.

Does this mean one dvr and one client? Or one dvr and one stb?

Seems to me, if the later is cheaper we would stick with that route. Prior to Voom we had only Dish Network with one dvr and one stb which worked fine for our viewing. Assume moving to one dvr and one client with Voom would mean much more functionality? I need to read up on Voom's proposed dvr/client setup.

Oops, your poll said $4.99 for each client so since we really want dvr functionality, I'm going to say we would go with the following at your proposed pricing structure:

1 DVR + 2 Clients

MNHTUG said:
Does this mean one dvr and one client? Or one dvr and one stb?
One DVR and one client. The DVR is a sat receiver, server and client. The client is a little box with network and IR in, and all video types out.They were working on a way that the stb could also act as a client so you don't have to switch equipment. That was reportedly part of the delays in getting the DVR out to market.

I'd glady trade in that huge receiver box for some smaller thing clients.

Dvlos said:
Actually at $35 for a rent to own plan, would take 28 months to get to $1,000... which is a little more than 2 years, BUT Voom also had you subscribed to VaVaVoom for 2 years, take that all into consideration Voom made their money and a little more and you didn't have to pay $1,000 in one shot.

Actually if they consider the DVR as a tool to get and keep more subscribers, then they only need to recover their cost. Figure that their cost on these units is well under half of MSRP - maybe $250 to $300.

Using cable as a baseline for what I am willing to pay, cable charges $7.95 rental for their HD DVR, $4.95 DVR/PG fee, $1.75 CableCard fee and $0.00 per all other outlets. I am willing to pay $9.95 rental for the VOOM DVR, $5 DVR/PG fee and $5 per each additional thin client/STB, which includes all rental and mirror fees.

1 DVR and 2 clients: $9.95+5+5+5 = $24.95

1 DVR (bought and paid for) no rental fee, provided it works with my already paid for STB and possibly another STB in the future (also paid for). I hate paying rent. I'm in for the long haul. I plan on Voom being around forever. I hope I'm here with it.

2 DVR'S and a thin client. . . If the whole home solution is up and running for the comuter, then an additional client in order to get my MP3's and JPEG's from my server.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)