How many coax leads to Dish Sat.

Bear Paws

On Vacation
Original poster
Oct 18, 2006
NE connecticut
I'm running quad shield coax (CU) throughout the house. I have Direct TV now and the switch is now (or rather will be when I upgrade) in the LNB requiring only one coax lead back to the splitter from the sat ant.
To future proof in the event I ever want to go back to Dish have they too gone to single coax?

This is a run from one end of the house to the other end in the attic and then snaked down to the utility room in the basement. I might have enough cable for two runs.

Right now everything runs exterior along one roof peak then down a small roof eve then around the outside to the splitter and then a bunch of cable back around the house and through the outside walls to 5 different rooms. I'm having new siding put up soon and want to eliminate the spaghetti outside and holes through the siding. l

Dish has a single coax. But, the advantage of 2 cables is that you could have one hooked up to an antenna to be a backup for satellite or cable.

Reactions: Stargazer
TNX for the response.

I have a home brew antenna at the other end of the house from the sat, right above the utility room. I will be now running its coax through the roof ridge vent and then down inside the wall (actually a closet) The ant LOS location is fine for OTA up to 150 miles but the sat LOS needs to get around a tree I don't want to cut down. Hence the sat being at the other end of the house.

Oh. cable comes in at the utility end of the house where the splitter is..

Before when I had dish I had two dishes with two coaxes each , one for 61.5 left over from Voom.they used

Even if you had to have 2 dishes to get around LOS problems the lines would go from the various dishes to a switch/node/etc, not to the individual receivers. The dish inputs would be combined and then sent down a single cable to the receiver.

Even if you had to have 2 dishes to get around LOS problems the lines would go from the various dishes to a switch/node/etc, not to the individual receivers. The dish inputs would be combined and then sent down a single cable to the receiver.
I knew that.. I guess I didn't provide enough information. I have 5 receivers (8 tuners) off a multi-switch. One HR34 Genie and a 2 tuner DVR and 3 l little (baby) receivers. The multi-switch is outside on the house wall with all this spaghetti around the outside of the house from there along with the twin lead from the dish draped across two roofs. .

So what it appears the solution is to put the multi-switch in the utility room with twin coax from it to the dish LNB. I have a SWIM (?)...So one coax runs to each receiver from there. Yes? I guess I need to drag a twin coax from one end (the dish end) of the attic to the other (the utility end) and then down 2 floors to the utility room. Yes?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts