How many cycles will it take to fix 1080P?

goaliebob99

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Aug 5, 2004
-.-. .... .. -.-. .- --. ---
First off, I would like to thank D* for all the hard work that they have put into this and the hard work in the future as I know they are working hard on this. But this has been burning me the past week.

How long will it take to get a fix. I can not watch 1080P/24 as the D* box is the only one that doesnt work right. My HTPC displays 1080P/24 just fine, My Xbox 360 displays 1080P fine, My BluRay disk displays 1080P/24 just fine. When I run the test I it shows that I can accept the 1080P/24, 30, and 60 just fine. When I watch 1080P programming such as the Bucket list all I get is a black screen that flashes the image and no audio. Some times I will get the audio and the screen will smooth out for a half a second. Then black screen and more flashes with no audio.

So I ask the burning question as I know im not the only one. How long will it take to get a fix? It seems like over the past three weeks there has been no improvment in this aspect and has been stalled. I dont understand why all these other sources connected to my television work fine, but the directv box doesnt. I could understand the first few weeks that it wouldnt work but by now we should be clarifying things up and they should be working working out other bugs, Or is it much more than that?

I just want to get a feel for where we are on this because there are lots of us out there who have perfectly good tv's that 1080p doesnt work in this aspect like it should and its not our TV's. I did send my info up to tom over at DBS talk but havent heard anything back in reguards to this including the system tests.

What I would like to see is this product launch successfully and improvments, but it seems like that is not happening allthough I'm asure that im wrong and Directv is working hard and thankfull that they are and thankfull for the opportunity for this process, but there is no communication on what the issue is and where they are at a fix.

I just want some communication and a time line.. :) Thanks. I know its the joys and downfalls of testing. I just would like to know that there are improvments going on in the aspect to this and that the pause button has not been pushed.

Im with you goailebob I've been testing this CE for over a month and I still have the same hdmi handshake issues with my Denon receiver going back to my Samsung 120hrz LCD. I know for sure that my receiver is 1080p/24 compliant as I have no problems with my PS3 bluray player displaying this resolution. I know I can go directly from my HR20 to my display bypassing the receiver and get the movie to play but the whole purpose for me upgrading receivers is for hdmi switching and high definition audio from my bluray discs. I appreciate all the hard work that Directv is doing with giving us this new resolution to test movies...I for one never thought we would see this technology for a couple years, but just like you I would like to know what issues they are having to fix this once and for all.

I didnt want to seem like a greedy bastard when I made this post because Im not. The issue for me is not with the dennon audio reciver, or the tv as they both do the same. I Have posted a file that I caputred from the EDID for both the dennon and the TV. There was one dos program that kept showing the EDID For both at 640 X 480 wich was clearly wrong as I was seeing a 1080P signal on my tv at the time. Allthough im willing to accept that there could be something with the dennon audio reciver that could be causing the problem. I jsut want to help get this fixed so I can see 1080P movies without having to dumb down to 1080I.

Attachments

• Tv.txt
    4.9 KB · Views: 393
  • Dennon.txt
    4.9 KB · Views: 419
The 1080p capability is in the VERY early stages for the HR2X. They know there are issues and it's going to take some time. Please be patient.

The 1080p capability is in the VERY early stages for the HR2X. They know there are issues and it's going to take some time. Please be patient.

Belive you me I understand that things take's time. Heck I havent been able to watch a single movie in 1080P mode, and have been waiting for a responce from TOM over three weeks sence my original report. The past month of testing 1080P it seems like the problem is the same and no improvments have been made. Just want to know where we are in the process. All im asking for is a little communication please!

It may be many months to work out 1080p before it is ready for everyday national use. That is part of the CE process. Remember OTA back in 2006 took almost 6 months before it worked solid.

Also, always post your results here or dbstalk for D* to see and evaluate. Sending them to anyone in a message will not get them to the D* engineers.

PLEASE - if you have an inline device (stereo, switch, splitter) on your HDMI, try it without that device as well, see if it changes anything. While it may seem that it won't, some have been suprised.

Don't be frustrated, this is what the testing process is all about, give D* as much information as we can so they can focus on the issues.

Nothing like this can be ready in just a few weeks time.

Jason, Seems like were cross posting in other threads, But I have taken out the cable and gone straight through from the D* box to the TV and it does the same thing. Yea I know it's the joys of product testing and I understand that it could take some time.. I want D* to be armed with all the information so they can get a quick fix or a fix.. Thats why I have posted everything. Allthough it would be nice to have some feedback where they are in the process.

I'm having the same issue with my Denon AVR-3808CI going to a Samsung LN52A650....no dice on 1080p.

Bob, I've been doing the CE's since day one, along with some pre release testing and never had seen any feedback on bugs reported outside the release notes for a CE.

At least D* is doing this the right way IMHO with having it release only in the CE testing process vs. E* which announced 1080p as part of their biggest HD announcement ever PR and those folks also have playback problems, that is if they've even seen a 1080p movie on their channel 501. Plus we don't have to pay anything for testing 1080p vs. the other DBS company.

Last edited:
Somehow I get the feeling that I am just a guinea pig for the next HD DVR and that all of these things will never be finalized.

Somehow I get the feeling that I am just a guinea pig for the next HD DVR and that all of these things will never be finalized.

Ummmm, Could be !!!!

You know for a fact that they will intergrate the info learned here into the newer equipment.

Jimbo

Bob, it takes as long as it is necessary. The CE program is obviosuly a beta program and they make no promisses as to whether something will work correctly and if there is a bug when it will be fixed, if ever. That is one of the risks of the program. Remember the main goal is to aid DirecTV, not for the user to gain functionality/features. --- believe I wrote something up about this for the site ;)

1080p IS GOOD TO GO! SEE my other post in this forum. :)

Not quite, the 1080P still haas problems. It will not work on all TV's. It will not work on 1080P/60 tv's, still it is not GOOD, still needs another 100 or more cycles to get it right. :down:down:down:down:down:down:down

Not quite, the 1080P still haas problems. It will not work on all TV's. It will not work on 1080P/60 tv's, still it is not GOOD, still needs another 100 or more cycles to get it right. :down:down:down:down:down:down:down

You are right that it won't work on ALL TVs. It will NEVER work on all TVs.

The 1080P Programming ONLY WORKS ON 1080p/24 COMPATIBLE MONITORS. That's the deal. That's what Directv is offering right now with their current equipment.

The current Directv HR2X receivers cannot do 1080p/60 - the hardware won't support it and it can't be done. So please don't say it's broken if you do not have a 1080p/24 monitor. They never said it would work on ANYTHING BUT a 1080p/24 monitor.

You are right that it won't work on ALL TVs. It will NEVER work on all TVs.

The 1080P Programming ONLY WORKS ON 1080p/24 COMPATIBLE MONITORS. That's the deal. That's what Directv is offering right now with their current equipment.

The current Directv HR2X receivers cannot do 1080p/60 - the hardware won't support it and it can't be done. So please don't say it's broken if you do not have a 1080p/24 monitor. They never said it would work on ANYTHING BUT a 1080p/24 monitor.

They never said it would do 1080p either, but it's doing it.

Jimbo

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)