how many dishes can i plant in my yard?

fredbenz

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jan 29, 2006
St. Cloud, Minnesota
I was wondering how i can get the 129 satellite. i live in alaska. I have a 3' dish for the 119 and 6' dish for the 110 and a 30" that i get the 148 with. Anyone know what size dish i might need to get the 129?

fred

Near the borders its tough with the stock Dish 1000. I know in MN a 30" is preferred (due to the low signal)

Alaaska may not have any sigbnal regardless of dish size

I would recommend taking an afternoon and connecting a reciever directly to the LNB on each on of your current dishes. Then you could aim at 129 and see which dishes pull it in. Start with the largest one (the 6 foot) first just to see if you have a shot. If you can't get it on that one, there is probably no hope for the smaller ones.

I live in MN like Iceberg and use a 30" on 129 due to some LOS issues. I get 70-90 on the 129 transponders.

heh.. Well... I know im on the other end of the beam somewhat (no not mexico) and i get 129 at 110% or more with a few transponders going to a full 125 solidly .. yet at night they drop clean down to the point of losing them sometimes... That satellite fluxuates WILDLY. I am using a 6 foot channel master here... im WAYYYYY outside it's intended footprint. I am willing to bet a 6 or 8 footer would get 129 up in alaska... I would try atleast.

-

Bountykiller said:
heh.. Well... I know im on the other end of the beam somewhat (no not mexico) and i get 129 at 110% or more with a few transponders going to a full 125 solidly .. yet at night they drop clean down to the point of losing them sometimes... That satellite fluxuates WILDLY. I am using a 6 foot channel master here... im WAYYYYY outside it's intended footprint. I am willing to bet a 6 or 8 footer would get 129 up in alaska... I would try atleast.

-

If your signal drops out like that at night I'd be willing to bet you have either a temp sensitive lnbf or a connection with a center conducter thats contracting back into the coax as the cable gets cold.

I use all snap and seal ends, are high grade rg-6... i used to have the same dish on 110 with no dropouts... You would be surprised on the fringe how wierd things behave. 119 fluxuates abotu 10 -15 % per day. Echo 6 when it was at 119 back in the day dropped out for everyone (not just me) where i live and echo 10 seems weaker during the day for me than at night. I checked up on this phenomenom one day and i seem to remember finding something out about solar radiation levels effecting it during the day or something wierd, but it is a deffinite phenomenom that occurs when you are far enough out (which I am). 129 seems super wierd though with fluxuations out here. Notably where i am it is hot enough for temperature not to be an issue 99% of the time.

-Bounty

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)