How many dishes do I need for HD?

bertbarndoor

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Aug 14, 2006
How many dishes do I need for HD? Upstate New York.

Hi, I am in way upstate New York, near Ottawa, Canada. ;) I am thinking of getting Dish for the HD programming. I just heard from a dealer that I might need TWO dishes for my purposes??? Is this for real? He said I would need one to point to the HD satellite and one to point to the regular satellite? This seems a bit odd. Is there a way around this? Also, there are no locals in my town, so will I get the distant networks in HD?

If anyone knows, I am curious if Directv would also require two dishes for HD??

Thanks,

Rob :confused:

Last edited:
All of Dish's HD programming is available on 110, 119, and 129, which the Dish 1000 can pick up. I do see CBS-HD is on 148', which would need a 2nd dish. That channel is optional, of course.

Detroit....Are you getting the HD locals too?

No-Either will work (Dish1000 or 2 dishes...preference is 2 dishes)
Yes-Need Dish1000+ or Dish500+ and a Dish300

The + dishes are different (they see 110,119,118...Detroit HD locals are on 118)

Ok, I've seen a few opinions. I've heard that the northeast thing may be the case. Anyone with a definitive answer??? Thanks,

Rob

2 Dishes pointed at 4 Satellites...

Present setup
Superdish pointed at 110, 119 and 121
run 3 cables from it to a DP34
DP34 to 522 and 322 receivers​

HD setup... (still trying add if Customer Service can ever get the work order correct)
Superdish pointed at 110, 119 and 121
standard dish pointed at 61.5
run 3 cables from Superdish and 1 from the standard dish to a DP44 (replaces DP34)
DP44 to 622 (replaces the 522) and 322 receivers
insert power to the DP44 (DP34 presently does not require it) through 1 coax connection​

I have the superdish since KBS America is a free PI channel on 121 (whereas it's pay on the other birds (go figure...) If KBS America does manage to show up before my upgrade actually gets scheduled as PI on 61.5 I'll just disconnedct the 121 LNB and I won't have to deal with a 4th cable or the DP44.

You can go with a 110, 119, 129 single dish setup (but I'd be shocked if this would work) or a 110, 119, 61.5 2 dish setup. I would absolutely go with the 2nd dish pointed at 61.5. In my setup, the 121 has the worst signal (~40% strength on a good day) and cuts in/out with weather. The 129 is even on a lower elevation. I recall the North Country snowstorms when I was attending college up near you... even if you can "see" the 129 bird, I would stay away from the single dish setup.

If you are concerned with how the 2 dishes will look mounted on your house. I would go with a pole mount if you can help it... I've done it both ways and the pole mount always seems less noticeable than an appendage stuck to the roof/side of the house. If you have some bushes/trees behind the dishes you hardly notice them.

Last edited:
bertbarndoor said:
Ok, I've seen a few opinions. I've heard that the northeast thing may be the case. Anyone with a definitive answer??? Thanks,

Rob

Bert,

Living ANYWHERE in New York State means that you REQUIRE a Dish pointed at 61.5 for HD. A Dish 1000 WILL NOT work.

John

Ok, so it seems like most people are recommending that I go with the two dish setup. The pole mount is not an option for a number of reasons. I already have a D* dish on my house from an old sub. I wonder if I can just take the D* dish off and use the existing bracket??? Anyone done this? So easy question, what type of dishes must I get? I know a dealer will be able to tell me, but this forum is just so cool and I won't be put on hold!!! Thanks! -ROb :hungry:

you should be able to re-use the D* pole as its just that a pole -- I'm kind of new to these boards but I think you will need one dish 500 (pointing at two birds in the 119 range - these are standard programing and locals) and one dish 300 which is a single lnb pointing at the HD bird (aka rainbow 1)

but I may be incorrect

John

That's correct, or if the D300 is not available another D500 will work. One cable from a DP Twin LNB receiving 61.5 will connect to the input on the DPP Twin LNB on the D500 (receiving 110/119) and then a single cable from that LNB will feed one or two tuner inputs on one receiver. You can also run a second cable to a second one or two tuner receiver. If you have more than two receivers then you will need an "external" switch like a DP34 or DPP44 and the cable connections will be different.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)