How many DVR boxes should get?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Hunted Duck

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Oct 6, 2011
I am switching from dish to direct and was wondering how many DVR boxes should I get? I currently have the 612 box I the living room and a 612 box in the family room for my 2 kids. We tape somewhere around 15 shows during a week. And the kids tape a few shows a month but like to have sponge bob on the Dvr. We tape everything in HD. Thanks for the help.

i would get 2, just because it saves you $100 over finding out later you needed it

at initial purchase 1st is free, 2nd is 99
after initial
its 199 each

Do you use the OTA tuner in the 612 for some of your recordings? If so, remember that each HR HDDVR from Direct can only record 2 events at any given time. So if you get 2 HRs, the max you could record at one time is 4 events. If you are getting the whole home dvr, 2 HRs might be just right. If you're not sharing video, then you might consider a 3rd one.

My useage when I was with Dish was that I often had 3-4 recordings going at once during prime time. When I switched, I got 2 HRs, one for me and one for my adult son and we signed up for whole home dvr. I found that for me having only the 2 tuners available to me was just not enough, so I got a 3rd one and stacked it on top of the original. So now I have 4 tuners for me, and 2 for my son.

Nope we don't use OTA. I was going to use a local retailer. They told me I can get 1 free HD DVR, and 3 free HD recievers. But I could get another HD DVR for $199. It that a bad deal?

Nope we don't use OTA. I was going to use a local retailer. They told me I can get 1 free HD DVR, and 3 free HD recievers. But I could get another HD DVR for $199. It that a bad deal?
yes
the 2nd hdvr should be $99

Ok. If the 2nd DVR box should be $99 then how much should HD box 3&4 cost? Thanks for the help

hd no dvr for 3 & 4 are $50 each mabe even less if you get the service through a local retailer who will be cutting out the sales guys pay as your direct contact.

it appears that the HD-24 DVR's only support a single TV. Is that correct? I cannot connect a 2nd TV to the receiver.

it appears that the HD-24 DVR's only support a single TV. Is that correct? I cannot connect a 2nd TV to the receiver.

sure you can, but all outputs show the same thing

just get an h24 and use mrv to view whats on the hr24
then you have 2 sd tv's

Dish network uses diplexers to back feed (to make it simple) then in turn it sends the "2nd" tv the signal. Hints dual tuner. Directv requires a box at every location you want to watch tv but by doing this you're never tying up the 2nd tv when recording. If you go with just HD's in the other rooms you will be able to watch what's recorded however you can't pause, fast forward, or rewind live tv. Right now you're using 2 boxes to run 4 tvs so all 4 tvs can record, pause, rewind ect. so to keep this function on all tv's you'll need HDDVRs at all locations

your market has both SD & HD available so you'd have to order specifically what you need
(some markets you can only get HD equipment....but those are newer markets launched. Columbus is a regular market where you can still use SD equipment)

Thanks iceberg. I talked to my local retailer tonight and I am getting the 2 nd DVR for $99 and the 3&4 hd's for free. Hard to pass this deal up.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)