How many months - How many boxes?

jnardone

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jan 20, 2004
Hi:
I have been a single-box VOOM customer for 7 months and I am on my fourth VOOM box.

How many months is everyone getting out of their boxes? Please reply and I will make up a graph. This should help people with their purchase vs. lease decision.

If you have more than one box installed please list them separately.

Thanks,
Joseph

I have one Voom STB. It has not been replaced during my entire Voom membership! Yep, trusty and reliable, I've only had to reboot it 3 times this week so far. Oh, the satellite signal quality went from 91 to 75 several times around 4 till 6 PM PDT yesterday and I lost all of the channels when it happened. Then mysteriously the signal quality went back up to 93-94 even though nothing had changed. But anyway, I've only had the one box for as long as I have been Va Va Vooming.

My first STB (purchased in November) died after 3 months. Has been replaced, and then a couple of weeks later VOOM (on its own initiative) replaced that one too, even though it didn't exhibit any problems.

I am not sure what this statistics can tell you and what kind of prognosis can be made based on it. It is a known fact that many of the first generation boxes (sold in November-December) had a manufacturing problem that caused them to die after a certain period ("The Lockup Disease" if you remember). Motorola has identified and fixed that problem and recalled all those old boxes early this year.

Also, as we all know from various reports in this forum, VOOM CSR's often use STB replacement as universal prescription for many problems that are not STB-related, like missing OTA channels, BravoHD on channel 261, stuck pixels, even micro-stutter. Makes me wonder how many good STBs have been replaced...

One box since June. Working fine.
Ilya, I totally agree with your assessment. The CSR's try to treat the symptom and not the disease.

Same box since I started on 5/28/04.

BTW, no reboots needed, no lock ups and hoping for continued good fortune. Great PQ too :D .

Sean Mota said:
Since November with two boxes. Got 1 replaced two times and Got 1 replaced once.
Isnt that:

an original + a replacement + a replacement
plus
an original + a replacement.

for a total of 5 boxes since November?

vurbano said:
Isnt that:

an original + a replacement + a replacement
plus
an original + a replacement.

for a total of 5 boxes since November?

Total of 5 boxes: 2 original, 3 replacements. 1 replacement due to a bad box. 2 two replacements due to nation wide swap of first generation boxes back in December.

After 2nd generation boxes in December or Early January boxes have been very good to me. I do not remember the last time I rebooted them. No crash, no hang ups, no freezes...

Two leased boxes since Mar 04. No problems. As far as re-boots go: after v5.68 maybe one time for each. They seem to work very well. Knock on Wood (hits head).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts