How many of you are Tech's/installers?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
I work as a telecommunication technician. I hobbied around the satellite thing since MTV was still ITC on C-Band. Was very interested when Captain Midnight did his thing. I've installed friends and family, even took on a few clients. I'd most likely be the least qualified on paper, but I'm willing to take on any information from you PROS.

aaw_john said:
Was just curious of how many on here are technicians or installers?? And what all do you install? :)

tech
Sbca 2,& 3
D* hsp, MDU.
Baltimore, N.VA., Central VA, N.C., S.C.,FL.

same as most tecs above been doing it along time as well. certified all levels from cable to satellite. Started in my Navy Days and loved it since.

3 Year Exp.
No Certifications, Unless they required to become a dealer. Everything is pretty much self taught.
WildBlue, DirecWAY, VSAT, Dish, Direct, FTA, WiMax, Home Theaters, Whole House sound systems, Automated Lighting system (Centra Light) and Home Networking.

Got a question about direcway. Can you sight that in with a standard accutrac meter. I have the pro 22 and was wondering also where that particular satellite sits so I can detect it with a inclonemeter.
DTV Servicetech

I am a service tech in Florida. I havent been doing it that long but I have thrown myself in pretty deep so I am very knowledgable in the field. I am trying to avoid doing anything with the KA KU but Im sure the time is coming ill be doing some. Just let me install mobile homes till I retire.. HAHAHA

dtvservicetech said:
Got a question about direcway. Can you sight that in with a standard accutrac meter. I have the pro 22 and was wondering also where that particular satellite sits so I can detect it with a inclonemeter.
DTV Servicetech

You need a birdog or an OPI for DW. What DW bird are you hitting?
AMC9 is @ 83w
AMC3 @ 87W
IA8 @ 89W
G11 @91W
IA6 @ 93W
G3C @ 95W
G4R @ 99W
SM5 @ 117W
HOR1 @ 127

They also use G10r and I think it is @ 121. I am not 100% about that.

dishcomm said:
Are you crisp on retro wiring?..I have a limited knowlegde of a lot of the tricks you guys use..Some of the stuff you guys do is amazing..

Yes, that's exactly what I do.

I am schooled from experience with vintage and historical wiring techniques. I have a good collection of antique telephony equipment including many models of telephones dating back to the early 1920's.

Very few electricians know how to work on the knob and tube stuff and the off size boxes and fixtures from the 1920's and 1930's art deco era. I restore quite a bit of the stuff, including light fixtures, appliances and telephones.

Mike500 said:
Yes, that's exactly what I do.

I am schooled from experience with vintage and historical wiring techniques. I have a good collection of antique telephony equipment including many models of telephones dating back to the early 1920's.

Very few electricians know how to work on the knob and tube stuff and the off size boxes and fixtures from the 1920's and 1930's art deco era. I restore quite a bit of the stuff, including light fixtures, appliances and telephones.
pretty cool:cool:

dragon002 said:
PCS or Baker?????

I worked for Baker Installations out of the south hills before I got laid off. Then I was picked up by Pro Cable Service and work there for sometime then got laid off from there. I installed the cable modem and worked a lot out of town which I got real tired of because I did not have a choice.

Now I am a Remote Tech for DNSC Pittsburgh. I don't have to go to the office, but one time a week, get my work emailed to me and leave from home. Plus I have the van at home too. INow I don't have to go out of town if I don't want too.

im looking to get into the install career field, i am in columbus, oh any tips sugestions on who to contact to get hired, im debating on getting sbca cert, just need to know more about how i do that. i have alot of self learned knoledge about this stuff both cable and satellite. the sooner the better i can get started the better as my current job situation is changing in the next few days. pm me or email me at richgoose2002-online@yahoo.com (oh and btw good luck spaming that one, its one of yahoo's "disposable" email addresses)

RIRWIN1983 said:
im looking to get into the install career field, i am in columbus, oh any tips sugestions on who to contact to get hired, im debating on getting sbca cert, just need to know more about how i do that. i have alot of self learned knoledge about this stuff both cable and satellite. the sooner the better i can get started the better as my current job situation is changing in the next few days. pm me or email me at richgoose2002-online@yahoo.com (oh and btw good luck spaming that one, its one of yahoo's "disposable" email addresses)

bluegrass satellite installs is the MSP for directv in your area.

Dish Network RSP (Digital Dish)
SBCA Level 2

Mostly NE Ohio...specifically Summit, Stark, Tuscarawas, Portage and Medina counties

I've pretty much been in the field since 1987. Graduated from the US Army Signal School, Ft. Gordon as a satellite/microwave tech.

Flip-flopped back and forth between cable and satellite. Cable, as a contractor for Baker and Network Connectors.

Currently one of the few remaining independent contractors working directly for the RSP. May go "company" just to get better routes.

Im a DISH Network Dealer, in addition I used to do installations when I first started.

I don't do very many installations now since I have to run the store, but I occasionally will install for Friends and Family and help out my techs when they run into a problem. Im very knowledgable about the product I sell and I know just as much if not even more than the average Tech.

I am certified to do Starband and Directway, however I haven't touched a system since 2001. Doing the satellite internet I feel is too much of a pain to deal with, especially when it comes to setting up customers computers and dealing with activating the modems. Things have probably gotten better, but I stay away from them as far as I can.

I also know how to install Free to Air, however I cannot support a product when the manufactures refuse to make their receivers not be able to accecpt illegal programming.

As far as certification, I don't care to take the class. They wanted me to sit through a 4 hour class last time I was at a dealer conference in Atlanta.

First of all, im not paying money to take a test I can already pass.

Second, im on vacation when I go to these conferences. I didn't spend a several hundred dollars on my plane ticket, rental car and hotel room to sit in a class room the entire day to take a test.

Finally, they should let me atleast take the test without having to sit in a class room for 4 hours!

Being a installer has LOTs of downers, filthy smelly homes, aggresive pets, demanding customers, this ancient Rg59 will work fine the cracks are normal:( Hey wouldnt pay for wall fishing but cant have anything show....

cant put the dish there they always go on the chimney, the loose bricks are fine....

cant pay me enough.....

let alone severe cold driving rain etc etc

i still do installs for friends and family, for fun.

had one friend want be to put a dish on the very top of a cheap 30 foot tv antenna tower that wasnt guyed or installed properly.

i told him just the ladder would push it over, fortunately his ladder wasnt nearly tall enough and a lightweight family member did nstall it at the 10 foot level, the tower was waving all over the place.

Bob Haller said:
Being a installer has LOTs of downers, filthy smelly homes, aggresive pets, demanding customers, this ancient Rg59 will work fine the cracks are normal:( Hey wouldnt pay for wall fishing but cant have anything show....

cant put the dish there they always go on the chimney, the loose bricks are fine....

cant pay me enough.....

let alone severe cold driving rain etc etc

i still do installs for friends and family, for fun.

had one friend want be to put a dish on the very top of a cheap 30 foot tv antenna tower that wasnt guyed or installed properly.

i told him just the ladder would push it over, fortunately his ladder wasnt nearly tall enough and a lightweight family member did nstall it at the 10 foot level, the tower was waving all over the place.

Thats one advantage of being a Hughes installer. You don't have alot of people who live in a crap hole. Maybe 1 per month but you do have to put up with the customers that think they know more than you.

It never ceases to amaze me, call somone who knows whats up then argue with them......

I used to do some house wiring for friends, one spent hours complaining that I didnt remove a lousy $2 abandoned box. hey lets reuse these old junk receptables, this wire is fine, just the outer romex cover is cut, thew wire will probably work fine. theres no trouble using this leftover 30 amp breaker on 14 gauge wire, see it lights fine....

my trouble is I am getting old, have seen failure, and want to avoid excitement. like sparks fires, or doing jobs twice to save a few bucks.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts