How many of you are using an LCD?

357mag

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Sep 18, 2005
I've only used traditional CRT televisions, but am doing some research on LCD's. How many of you out there are currently using them? Do you like them? Had any problems with "dead pixels" or "ghosting". They do(at least some) look pretty bright and sharp. But I don't know if I really care for the cosmetic look. It just looks weird not having all that cabinetry in the back. And of course they cost quite a bit more.

I've got a Sony Plasma and a Sony LCD.. they both look great.. and depending upon the content one outshines the other... not often but every once in a while the plasma will look a tad better .. then the LCD.

Overall I love the LCD.. it's got a great amount of light and clarity to it.

Even the SD channels don't look horrid over it which is saying a lot since
it's a 50in screen.

Sam

Make it a poll

You should make this a poll and place choices like
Direct View CRT
Direct View LCD
Direct View Plasma
Rear Projection CRT
Rear Projection LCOS
Rear Projection DLP
Front Projection CRT
Front Projection LCOS
Front Projection DLP
Other (explain)

The only LCD TV I have is a hand held 2.5 inch use for travelling and adjusting antennas.
Also have a laptop computer with 15.4 inch LCD (1920x1200) which is great for gaming. Planning on buying a 24 inch LCD display also (1920x1200) for both computer and HDTV purposes.

jergenf said:
You should make this a poll and place choices like
Direct View CRT
Direct View LCD
Direct View Plasma
Rear Projection CRT
Rear Projection LCOS
Rear Projection DLP
Front Projection CRT
Front Projection LCOS
Front Projection DLP
Other (explain)

and...Probably should be moved to the HDTV Equipment forum.

NightRyder

Heh, no LCD TVs here, all of ours are tubes, shoot even our projection set is running off 3 tubes.

All but 2 of our monitors are LCDs on the other hand, a 23" and a 22" in that mix :)

I sell LCD's and love them. Customers love the sharp picture and the 160 degree viewing angle. Expensive with a good quality 40" running about $4000. Anything over 40" look into DLP sets.

LCd Tv

I have a 30 inch HDTV Ready Syntax Digital Direct View LCD. It is great on HD, the Sd is kinda soft but for the buck 1200 it is a great hdtv set. I have had no dead pixels or any other problems with it, it is now 10 months old.

You see if I buy one and end up really liking it I probably would feel I need another. I have two sets in my apartment. One in the living room and the other in the bedroom. I do most of my watching in the bedroom and most of my gaming in the bedroom too. Personally I prefer much smaller sets. Like 13 inch, 16 inch, and 20 inch. Never liked big TV's. I've read about this issue of ghosting and how that may not be good if you like to play video games. I don't know. I have to continue to research.

Big CRT screens scare the heck out of me, especially the oldschool kind -- they're very big, very heavy, and give me the impression if you tapped against the screen with a key too hard it'd explode at you.

The nice thing about >20" LCDs and CRTs is they're still big enough to see across the room (well the 20"ers anyway) -- barely.. but still doable.. and yet small enough you can move them around without pain :D

Not me. Right now, I've a couple of late-gen, rear-projection units...42" and 54" respectively... but my next TV will be a LCD and I should be getting it on early January 2006.

Panasonic 50" LCD PT-50LC13

I have this hooked up to the 811 receiver with HD package, VOOM package and OTA. It's mind-blowing when I watch television programming filmed in or broadcast in HD.

I just got a Vizio 32" for $999. The picture is amazing for 480p DVDs, but it brings out the worst in SD DISH. I won't have HD 'till next week.

(One thing about the bad SD picture- I realized I had been watching a lot of local channels because of all the new shows. Yesterday, I watched two movies off the DVR- one PPV and one from Cinemax. They both looked just fine. Last night I watched "Aqua Teen...", and it was good too.)

I have a Plasma and a LCD. Dish looks great on both. I prefier the plasma, but probably just because it's bigger. With tv, size matters! Make sure it's approperate for the size of the room and distance to the lazy-boy.

I have an LCD PJ and am looking at getting a 27" to use as a monitor in my HT room and a 37" - 42" for the Family room.

The only LCD I have is my two laptops. I seen some LCD and LPD tv's advertised today. The LCD tv's were cheaper than the LPD's. What is the advantage of LPD to LCD?

I have a Westinghouse 37" LCD I bought as a floor model from BB for $1709 last week. I wasn't really ready to buy but I couldn't pass up that price. The set is 1920x1080p and is (as far as I know) the only set currently available with an actual 1080p DVI input.

SD can look bad, but HD is mind blowing. The only drawback is I don't have an HD DVR. I don't want to buy one with the looming MPEG4 conversion and obsolesence of current recievers.

dodge said:
I have a 30 inch HDTV Ready Syntax Digital Direct View LCD. It is great on HD, the Sd is kinda soft but for the buck 1200 it is a great hdtv set. I have had no dead pixels or any other problems with it, it is now 10 months old.

Mine is a 30 inch Gateway HDTV LCD going on 2 years, ditto to above. Some SD channels are sharper, like CNN, MSNBC, HIST. HD is sharp. Only problem is that fast motion blurs the screen in both HD and SD.

I have one LCD and 2 DLP's. I got a small, cheap, BENQ 26" LCD for the bedroom without expecting too much in terms of quality but have been very pleasantly surprised. Bright and clear on HD, and even pretty good on digital OTA SD. I don't have any analog OTA, so I can't comment on that. I didn't even connect the built-in tuner to an antenna. E* SD looks crappy, but that's true on everything bigger than about 2.5" anyway.
The area where DLP's look consistently better is on dark scenes. The LCD blacks look pretty good with full room lighting, but when you lower the room light the inability of an LCD to go truly black makes the picture look somewhat washed out. Nothing beats a good CRT for greyscale, but the DLP's I've seen seem to do a better job than any of the LCD's I've seen so far. Of course LCD's don't have "rainbows" that drive some people crazy with DLP's. (Fortunately I can't see rainbows, even when I'm trying really hard to look for them.)

Bob

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)