How many of you are using an LCD?

Regarding SD PQ on LCD's, I don't have a standard package from Dish, all I have is HD and Movie packs and the SD channels look very good on my pj. I was quite surprised when I subbed to the movie packs since in the past when I had them, they sucked big time on my 27" analog set. They must have devoted more bandwidth to the movie channels since I last had them. I have Showtime, HBO and the Encore Theme pack, as well as Voom and Dish HD Pack.

I dropped all regular packages from Dish since they had so much "smearing" and overcompression I couldn't stand to watch them, and with so much HD available today, who needs them? I don't have time to watch what's available with the packages I have, so I'm not missing anything. Even with a DVR and DVD burner I can't keep up.

kcribb1 said:
I have this hooked up to the 811 receiver with HD package, VOOM package and OTA. It's mind-blowing when I watch television programming filmed in or broadcast in HD.
I have the same setup. I agree. Mind-blowing.

I was thinking about investing in a couple of just regular LCD's, not high-definition. For awhile I did think about buying into the high-definition deal, but I decided to stick with my Sony CRT's. The ones that I have are amazingly sharp with very vivid color and have worked very well for all that I use them for. High definition might not be a good idea at this point. The cost is ridiculous and there still is mostly 4:3 programming out there.

bobhaze said:
Of course LCD's don't have "rainbows" that drive some people crazy with DLP's. (Fortunately I can't see rainbows, even when I'm trying really hard to look for them.)

Bob

Lucky for you. They drive me crazy. I try really hard not to see them, but on some systems they give me headaches.

On a positive note, I thought I saw an ad (from Sony, I think) about a DLP system that used 3 chips instead of just one. That should get rid of the rainbow effect, but the alignment will need to be perfect. Anyone know about a 3 chip DLP system?

I have a 60" rear projection LCD Panasonic. It is great. One thing that is for sure, is that the reds and blues are vivid and needed toned down.
I also have a 56" DLP Samsung. It is great. The colors are better toned and the greens are exceptional.

The LCD does show a skosh more of pixilation than does the the DLP when it come to a camera sweep or fast moving object in a scene.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)