How many of you got the dish email

dude2

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
May 20, 2006
asking you how often you rented pay per views from them. I answered none as at 3.95 per movie I can get a much clearer dvd from the local video store with more selection, and get all the old reruns of past tv shows from netflix.
Dish has lost me on pay per view.
Why not some current movies in hd.

Yeah I never use Pay Per View.. Movies come out on DVD so much quicker now thats why I never will have a channel like HBO.. New DVD's come out every Tuesday of the month.. Now some movie compaines are talking about releaseing their movies on DVD sametime as they are released at the theater.. My local movie store only charges like 2.95 for 5 days plus if you bring it back the next day they give you a dollar credit for every movie.. Cant beat that!

I use PPV occassionally. My "local" video store is about 12 miles away and with gas still running $2-3/gallon the $3.99 isn't so outrageous, so when we get the spontaneous urge to watch a movie and nothing in our personal library seems appealing, PPV *occassionally* has something that might interest us. I doubt if we use it more than a couple times a year, though.

I can go to the drive in for $7 a carload and watch a first run double feature, so who needs a 2nd run pay per view. I have never used PPV and never will.

Let's see...

PPV=Subpar PQ, cropped to 4:3.

DVD=Good PQ (better than some DishHD channels), and OAR for nearly same price.

Hmmm...let me think on that. :D

I never use PPV for the fact that I sub to MLEI package and pay for it over 3 months. The stickler here is you can't have more than $100 in charges as a balance. Even though I pay around $35 a month for my EI package the balance remains at the original charge of about $110 until it is completely paid for. In other words the balance never decreases by $35 each month so my balance is always over $100 therefore I can not get PPV. I did not know this until last year when there was a movie I wanted to watch and couldn't because my balance was over their limit. I always wait for anything to come out on the Premium channels because I don't rent DVDs and there is NEVER anything that I need to see right now so I will wait, very patient.

If they had all there PPV in HD at $3.99 I would rent many of them.

At $3.99 for something less than DVD quality it is a rip off.

And $4.99 for HD PPV, they are more than Direct TV who is only $3.99 for HD.

I think Dish need to change to compete with Netflix and all the new online providers due out this fall.

I don't think any of you answered the OP's question.

ie: How many of you got the dish email asking you how often you rented pay per views from them.

As of today, I have not received the email.

enoree said:
I can go to the drive in for $7 a carload and watch a first run double feature, so who needs a 2nd run pay per view. I have never used PPV and never will.

Whats a drive in ??? hehehe

They tore down the last one in Wisconsin a few years ago.

Perhaps they have seen a loss in PPV purchases. If they would drop the price back down to $2.99 then they would see more PPV purchases. I think they should also offer some $0.99 and $1.99 PPV's for some older movies but dont make the $1.99 ones too old. They would see a bit of an income increase if they would do this. I NEVER purchase PPV's.

Poke said:
Yeah I never use Pay Per View.. Movies come out on DVD so much quicker now thats why I never will have a channel like HBO.. New DVD's come out every Tuesday of the month.. Now some movie compaines are talking about releaseing their movies on DVD sametime as they are released at the theater.. My local movie store only charges like 2.95 for 5 days plus if you bring it back the next day they give you a dollar credit for every movie.. Cant beat that!

HBO has a lot of great programming exclusive to them and is worth $14 a month. The movie channels forget it.

Brian

bkushner said:
HBO has a lot of great programming exclusive to them and is worth $14 a month. The movie channels forget it.

Brian

Yes. The comparison made of HBO and PPV is not valid. I can say we watch the HBO'S and A&E more than any other channel, except the big four networks. And when I get home from working overnight, It is great to sit down and watch a movie I might not have seen had it not been on HBO. And they consistantly have very good in-house series.

Holy crap Shodobe what the hell are you talking about? What is the MLEI package? Please keep it simple for the Little People. Thank you.

I didn't get the email.

Dish needs to lower the price and expand the selection in order to compete with Netflix and others. I can get 6-8 movies a month for $9.99 from Netflix. The selection is from virtually every movie on DVD.

Last edited:
I took survey via email. The DVD vs. PPV is a very personal choice. I for one don't have the time or schedual that allows for going to the video store. While it is extremely rare for us to order a PPV, it is usually an impulse buy. Someone wants to see the moive NOW. As for quality, you are all correct, but most of these Hollywood films are fluffy disposable works of commerce anyway, and even the Dish PPV quality is more than sufficient. Yes, I will see a Star Wars or Star Trek movie in the theater or with a DVD Dolby Digital 5.1 at my uncle's house. But all other movies just don't warrent the trouble and others in the household care even less about the quality because they just can't see it. They think Dish PPV quality is great--we all know it is not what it used to be, and it is dissappointing.

One bright note is the Dish VOD on my 625. I can say with full confidence that these offerings are in high bit. The video quality is outstanding, and the audio is greatly superior to the PPV. However, I refuse to pay $1 more for VOD just for that. I have purchased a few VOD at the $2.99 price. Those were movies over a year old, but I had never seem them. Let's hope that the VOD don't decrease in quality, but knowing Dish, they just may.
Best of TV-DVD watching to all.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)