How many out there.......

phatbastard

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jan 29, 2005
How many of us voom subscribers are going to wait until the final day of Voom's death and complete blackness from our TV's. To ponder the thought of going to a different service. OR have you already made plans on other providers....

phatbastard said:
How many of us voom subscribers are going to wait until the final day of Voom's death and complete blackness from our TV's. To ponder the thought of going to a different service. OR have you already made plans on other providers....

I have already made other plans to go with Dish and it should be installed next week. I am going to leave Voom hooked up so I can witness the end. I figure that if I don't watch it go dark, I will always be tempted to rip out the new Dish install and hook up my Voom stuff since I know that I will miss Voom.

I'm currently going through the research process but plan on waiting to see what gives with the equipment. My decision will be different depending on wheter we'll be able to keep and use the OTA...

Speaking of OTA

truqui said:
I'm currently going through the research process but plan on waiting to see what gives with the equipment. My decision will be different depending on wheter we'll be able to keep and use the OTA...

I am also doing research and am a little confused when it comes to locals/ota/hd in E* and D*

I am afraid locally I have a D* dealer that really only wants to sell E*.

To make matters worse I live in SE Michigan right across the border from Toledo. I need Toledo locals for my work, but want Detroit for the variety.

I have not been able to get a straight answer to which one can provide me with HD locals for both Detroit and Toledo, and be an integrated part of their DVR (842 or 10-250).

I have always had the DishHD Pack so I'm set. I will keep my Voom box powered up until it goes dark. Over the last 10 months that I've had my DVR/DVD recorder, I've burned over 400 DVD's from Voom & Dish that I have yet to watch, so I guess it will be time to get caught up finally. Who needs Netflix? LMAO.

Kentstater72 said:
...I have not been able to get a straight answer to which one can provide me with HD locals for both Detroit and Toledo, and be an integrated part of their DVR (842 or 10-250).
Answer: Neither one is going to give you HD locals. D*'s LIL satellite hasn't launched yet, and E* hasn't announced any plans yet.

Plan on OTA for local HD for a while.

I am in no hurry to rush into another service. I am lookng at Canada beause it brings in the Detroit HD stations which I can't get in my local area. but I think I will wait and see what announcents happen from everyone.

I got cox cable back. Do we know if Voom will continue through the end of the day on the 30th? Like midnight on the 30th and no more signal.

Comcast is installing for me this weekend. I will leave the one Voom box up and running until the end.

No real substitute for Voom at the moment. E* and D* offer no advantage in price, equipment, PQ, or HD. Cable seems to be the best HD option for the moment, great discounts to dbs users, and there is no lock-in. I figure that if one of the other DBS providers ever get their act together it will be easier to switch from cable than the other way around.

phatbastard said:
I have scheduled Adelphia cable installation for next week. But I will keep VOOM as well until it goes dark!

I am going to wait at least until after the board meeting on the 18th.
Nothing is going to come out of the board meeting... but you never know.

We are going to go back to Dish and use and OTA antenna for local HD channels.
There is not enough on Dish to justify the $ to upgrade to the HD pacakge. You spend a small fortune for the equipment, and then you have the $12 a month for 6 HD channels. It is just not cost effective. With an OTA antenna I at least get locals in HD. That is going to have to be enough for now.

Maybe there will be something new out of the board meeting on the 18th, but I really don't think so.

The local cable company - Comcast has a little bit more of HD, but it is not worth the trouble to install. I am still a little upset with the cable company from when we moved in our house in 1986 and they would not install cable. They said it would be two years before they could install cable. It was actually 4 years before they knocked on the door saying "We can install cable now...." I said no thanks, I have a BUD now...never been back to the cable thing since. I really don't want to go back to the days of cable. (Okay, I hold a grudge a long, long time...)

Anyway, maybe something will come out of the board meeting Monday, but I don't think so. I think Voom is dead.

roland

I too am watching Voom until there is no more signal coming from the sky. I already have my new HD DVR from Adelphia and am chewing up the harddisk doing time-shifts on the couple of shows that I like. I hate Adelphia and their HD offerings. I get exactly 2 HD channels from them that I can't get OTA (Showtime and HBO) All other HD channels that they have (6 more) are all available to me OTA for free. The only feature that Adelphia adds is the HD DVR, which can only record the channels available from cable, so the 36 other HD / Digital OTA channels that I can pickup locally CAN'T be recorded on the Adelphia MOXi box.

I Have Cox HD service scheduled to start on April 27th, but I will be watching V* till it is goes black. then I will switch over the connections to the Cox STB's myself.

I want to get as much Vooming in as possible, because it may be a few years till we have such a wide choice of HD programming available. :)

I'll be watching until the last pulse and all goes dark and I will raise a tall one to all the Voom employees wishing them my best and thanking them for the Voom experience!

I am then going to go OTA and stay away from any paid provider for a while. I have experienced cable TV and am not anxiuos to go back. Voom was my first Sat provider and I really liked it and it will be missed very much in my household for all the hd it offerred. I really have no interest in any other sat provider. Fortunately I receive good OTA signals in my area and Blockbusters are plentiful. I will wait to see if there is some sort of Voom derivative that comes into existence, and if not, I will probably stay the course until HD is as mainstream as it is on Voom. Voom is the only provider that has ever really hooked me into watching so much television. I'll be watching until the last pulse and all goes dark and I will raise a tall one to all the Voom employees wishing them my best and thanking them for the Voom experience

Good Luck to All in replacing your Voom viewing enjoyment.

Iam going back to Cox on April 30, 2005. However, I will keep my Voom stb up and running till the end.

phatbastard said:
I'm cutting over to Comcast on the 23rd. I will be able to move a cable over to Voom and leave one set on it just to see what happens. :(

I have Directv running with Voom right now but plan to watch VOOM until the very end. Im very sad to see VOOM go. I really was waiting for the DVR and the whole house solution to come out so I could cancel DTV and go with VOOM in my house as a sole provider. But thats not going to happen ....Im going to activate HDLITE for my Directv service.

No plans for another service. Will wait a good long time AFTER Voom goes dark to see what shakes out.

No way will I go with HD-Lite. I will wait for HD-DVDs from Netflix if nothing else.

(I just saw an announcement for the "HD X-Box" coming out this summer!)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts