How many people here are "moved"? Where are you and what market did you "move" to?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

edisonprime

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Dec 12, 2012
I thought this would be a fun thread. Anyways, I live in Rochester, MN, and I "moved" to a VERY SMALL TOWN in Wisconsin that allows the viewer to get both the Twin Cities, MN locals and La Crosse, WI locals. Never been to this area in my life. (It also includes a distant network, CW from Washington, D.C.)

yup there is one county that gets that quirk

When I had Directv I moved to Mankato to get KEYC and still kept the Minneapolis (through SV). And in another quirk got national PBS

I wish Direct/Dish would offer the same locals the local Cable Co's offer.

Example, some towns between Austin and San Antonio get BOTH Austin and San Antonio locals on cable but DirecT/Dish they only get the market their address is determined to be in.

Eastland TX cable gets both Dallas and Abilene locals.

Also some places between Waco and Dallas that get both Waco and Dallas on cable.

Anyway to answer the OP, I live in the Dallas market and get the Dallas market via OTA antenna while my DirecTV is "moved" to the San Antonio market because that is my home area where I am from and I like to be able to watch the local news there and also Spurs games that often get put on the local CBS there only and to also get that market's RSN. Oh and San Antonio's PBS KLRN has a lot more programming I like compared to Dallas's KERA.

Last edited:
I wish Direct/Dish would offer the same locals the local Cable Co's offer.

cable is under old rules that if they can pick it up they can put it on. Satellite has to follow the Sig Viewed list and in most cases they wont even do it
The example I gave above they did because the studio for KEYC (the only station in the Mankato market) is actually in Nicollet county which is the Minneapolis DMA. So North Mankato gets Minneapolis locals and KEYC as SV

I was thinking about doing this too so. There is an area in Western Wisconsin that gets Eau Claire/La Crosse locals and all Minneapolis locals as SV. My question is what RSN do you get as your main one?. Since FSN Wisconsin is not a 24 hour channel, would FOX Sports North be the one. Would FSN North ever be blacked out, let's say the Brewers play the Twins?. I theory FSN North would always be available and FSN Wisconsin would be there when it's needed. I don't want to loose FSN North for any reason. Getting the Eau Claire/La Crosse locals would get my my Packer games without having to get Sunday Ticket for just one team, too expensive.

Trying to figure out the RSN issue is just tons of fun :)..

Put your Zip here and it will tell you what RSN's you get from anywhere.

http://www.directv.com/DTVAPP/global/contentPageIF.jsp?assetId=P3000004

I was thinking about doing this too so. There is an area in Western Wisconsin that gets Eau Claire/La Crosse locals and all Minneapolis locals as SV. My question is what RSN do you get as your main one?. Since FSN Wisconsin is not a 24 hour channel, would FOX Sports North be the one. Would FSN North ever be blacked out, let's say the Brewers play the Twins?. I theory FSN North would always be available and FSN Wisconsin would be there when it's needed. I don't want to loose FSN North for any reason. Getting the Eau Claire/La Crosse locals would get my my Packer games without having to get Sunday Ticket for just one team, too expensive.

Trying to figure out the RSN issue is just tons of fun :)..

Both MN & WI get FSN North as FS Wisco isnt 24 hours on Directv (they should carry it IMO)
Running a zip for the county in question (Pepin County) gives you all 5 teams
Twins & Brewers
Bucks & Wolves
Wild

When the two teams play each other (Bucks & Wolves or Twins & Brewers) you get BOTH feeds. When I had Directv and a Duluth address I had Twins and Brewers too (didnt get the Bucks but sadly had Wolfies)

Keep in mind that sv channels are in sd, at least the ones I get are.

When I was "moved" my SV stations were in HD

edit: pulled up a zip on the Directv site and it shows both in HD (bold is the locals he'd get....non is SV)
CW (CW) 14 (national)
KARE (NBC) HD 11
KAWB (PBS) 22 (not carried in HD)
KMSP (FOX) HD 9
KPXM (ION) 41 (not carried in HD)
KSTC (IND) 45 (not carried in HD)
KSTP (ABC) HD 5
KTCA (PBS) HD 2
KTCI (PBS) 17 (not carried in HD)
WCCO (CBS) HD 4
WEAU (NBC) HD 13
WFTC (MNT) HD 29
WHLA (PBS) HD 31
WLAX (FOX) HD 25
WQOW (ABC) 18 (dont know why it isnt in HD)

WUCW (CW) HD 23

It might have something to do with the expected coverage of the hd signals in your area being better than they are in mine. Directv doesn't want people calling up saying they can't get channels without it breaking up. It wouldn't be an issue here, but they are cautious about it.

Both MN & WI get FSN North as FS Wisco isnt 24 hours on Directv (they should carry it IMO)
Running a zip for the county in question (Pepin County) gives you all 5 teams
Twins & Brewers
Bucks & Wolves
Wild

When the two teams play each other (Bucks & Wolves or Twins & Brewers) you get BOTH feeds. When I had Directv and a Duluth address I had Twins and Brewers too (didnt get the Bucks but sadly had Wolfies)

FSWIS has a bunch of content that is SD only. You won't see it if you have "Hide SD duplicates" selected. Before the RSN renumbering, both feeds would show. Everything on FSWISHD is on FSWISSD, but there is more on FSWISSD than FSSDHD.

I live in the wheeling,wv/ steubenville, oh dma but we have sv channels out of Pittsburgh, pa. Neither directv or dish network offer these channels. But the local cable companies offer Pittsburgh locals.
Why doesn't the satellite companies offer these channels?

I live in the wheeling,wv/ steubenville, oh dma but we have sv channels out of Pittsburgh, pa. Neither directv or dish network offer these channels. But the local cable companies offer Pittsburgh locals.

They are not allowed to according to the Satellite Rules in place.... that need to be re written.

Cable has a lot of loopholes that they can get way with that Sat can't.

SV locals will be SD in most cases. In markets that are HD-only, obviously that won't happen. For example, southeastern VT is the Boston DMA, but gets ALL Vermont locals in HD because Burlington is HD-only. Martinsville, VA and surrounding area is Roanoke DMA, but the SV Greensboro locals are HD there. Some of the Greensboro locals even show those non-DMA counties on the weather maps like they are in the DMA. The opposite is not true. Along the NC side of the border, the Roanoke channels that are SV are not HD. In fact, most people don't even have them because they are on the 119. But South Hill VA is Raleigh DMA and gets some Richmond and Roanoke SV - all SD (also many don't have them due to Directv not installing SL5 dishes, unless you're getting Spanish packages. Generally, that's how it is - SV is SD. There are always flukes.

Good point, I never considered the hd only markets.

FSWIS has a bunch of content that is SD only. You won't see it if you have "Hide SD duplicates" selected. Before the RSN renumbering, both feeds would show. Everything on FSWISHD is on FSWISSD, but there is more on FSWISSD than FSSDHD.

we know. You've mentioned it before ;)

SV locals will be SD in most cases. In markets that are HD-only, obviously that won't happen.

interesting. In the case above Minneapolis would be the SV and they are in both SD & HD.
Eau Claire is HD only but that is the locals you would get normally

different rules. Technically Directv **could** but they only do it in EXTREME cases. Dish can't and that goes back to a court case from a few years ago. They lost the ability to give you any local that wasnt in your market. So as example before WTRF added ABC as a subchannel with Dish you wouldnt have got ANY ABC. A couple years ago they were allowed to import a neighboring local ONLY if there is no affiliate in that market. An example is Dish can import a ABC in the Parkersburg, WV market as there is no affiliate there.

They are not allowed to according to the Satellite Rules in place.... that need to be re written.

they can offer SV (well Directv can...Dish can't)....but Directv only does it in EXTREME cases.
I use to have SV when I "moved" and the example given above is another one

Alot of it has to do with spotbeams and what areas they cover.

they can offer SV (well Directv can...Dish can't)....but Directv only does it in EXTREME cases.
I use to have SV when I "moved" and the example given above is another one

Alot of it has to do with spotbeams and what areas they cover.

Problem is theres no way to know what is considered SV.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts